Heirloom Shards & Crafting Materials mysteriously spent, someone using my acct?

by thedformula64

Original Post

Heirloom Shards & Crafting Materials mysteriously spent, someone using my acct?

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Trying this again on the Technical Issues section as the Bug Report section marked my post as spam:

I'm unsure if this belongs here, but I have reason to believe someone has been using my EA account. I logged in to play some Apex yesterday for the first time in a few days and immediately noticed something was off. Most of my crafting materials were missing, and my heirloom shards had been spent on Bangalore's heirloom. One of her Legendary skins was unlocked as well, one that I did not have previously unlocked. My battle pass level had increased, and my last match summary was from almost 5 hours prior to me logging on. I've reached out to EA's Customer Service which has been unhelpful. They essentially said, "just secure your account bro." I have since put two-step authentication on my account to stop this from happening, but to not have any clear solution has really been irritating. It's baffling that someone would sign in to my account, play on my profile, use my in-game consumables on items that are linked to my account, and then log off. Something to add: I live alone and have not had company over in months, so there is no way anyone would have broken in to my home to play some Apex Legends, spend my consumables, and leave. Has anyone else experienced this? I hate the idea of spending more time and effort saving up for Heirloom Shards & Crafting Materials only to have some random person log in to my account and spend it all on stuff I don't want.

Message 1 of 8 (821 Views)

Re: Heirloom Shards & Crafting Materials mysteriously spent, someone using m

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

An update to this: So last night I was locked out of my account permanently. I received a notification that my two-step verification was turned off on my account and that my password was changed. I had to roll out of bed at midnight, create a new EA account, contact EA support, as well as change the passwords on all of my major accounts (an arduous process that has only just begun.) Thankfully, as you might be able to tell from me being able to follow up on this post, I was able to get my account back. This account theft helps answer the question I had earlier as to why someone would log in to my account, use my consumables, and leave. They must have been planning to steal the account completely and use it.

What really irks me, however, is that the EA rep said that nothing could be done about the Heirloom Shards & Crafting Materials spent by the hacker. I can't accept that there's literally nothing they can do about this. This entire situation is completely out of my control. I've taken some screenshots of the conversation I had with EA tech support early this morning. I'm going to try to reach out again and see if there's something they can do.

Has anyone else been in a similar position? This entire situation is so aggravating Angry

Message 2 of 8 (768 Views)

★★ Novice

I've written a long, detailed Reddit post about this whole ordeal that can be viewed here: https://www.reddit.com/r/apexlegends/comments/nhacs1/stolen_account_intruder_used_my_heirloom_shards...

Message 3 of 8 (716 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@thedformula64How on Earth can someone turn off 2FA unless they have access to your phone? Do you not use an authenticator app on your phone for 2FA? Also if you use an email for 2FA why dont you have 2FA on that? Just sounds odd to me, but perhaps people really don't take these precautions. 

Message 4 of 8 (689 Views)

★★ Novice

EA's 2FA has multiple options: You can use an email to receive the code as well and they give you the option to choose when prompted to give the code to log in. I prefer using my phone, but the hacker had gained access to my email and must have turned it off using that. After the breach, I turned 2FA on to my email account, which to my knowledge is phone only.

Message 5 of 8 (668 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Same thing happened to me literally an hour ago. I've looked up similar cases and no one gets anything back. I'm so thankful to have my account back, but having someone take your hard earned work away just to spend it on meaningless skins and emotes is very drive crushing. To be honest I don't think we'll get any compensation for this with how far back this issue extends Frown

Message 6 of 8 (631 Views)

★★ Novice

I am so sorry you're dealing with this too. I'm still playing the game now, but I will never spend money on this game again. If a hacker can just waltz into our accounts and waste our hard-earned materials, what's the point in saving anything?

Message 7 of 8 (608 Views)

★★★ Novice

having the same issue, i got hacked and for a month and a half ea did literally nothing while the hacker played on my account when i finally got my account back while the hacker was playing on my account he spent all my saved up currencies not to mention got an heirloom shards pack and used it on octane but apparently ea/respawn cannot help me get my things back, on their OWN game

Message 8 of 8 (523 Views)