Re: HELP! massive server lag issues

by LawSayingRoom

Original Post

HELP! massive server lag issues

★★★ Newbie

please can anyone seem to help me? 

ive recently come back to the game from about a 2 year break, and before hand it was working perfectly, no lag at all. i was even a sub, but now? for some reason i keep getting HUGE server lag spikes and i have no idea where it comes from...

i was thinking that it must be my connection but EVERY other game i play works fine, no lag at all. so why am i getting such bad lag on swtor? and it appears it is only me (so far that i have found) that is being effected by it as every time i ask in game if its lagging, everyone else says no.

And i cant play through it either. literally the game will freeze for about 5 secs then continue again like normal unit 2 secs later it will freeze again. 

its really starting to drive me insane as i am in the middle of the 'KOTFE' dlc and really want to complete it, but i cant, this lag is making the game frustratingly unplayable Teeth bared.

i would even start subbing again, if this wasn't a huge issue.

so please is there anyone who perhaps has some insight on how i can make this stop at all?

anything would be a great help and sorry for the long post, thanks 

Message 1 of 11 (599 Views)

★★★ Newbie

If it's not the game,  and it's not your connection.   It's most likely the specific installation of SWTOR.   

could try and repair the installation.   Or uninstall/reinstall it completely.     

I don't believe Swtor allows mods,  but if you have any custom software installed for the game,  uninstall it.  

you may, also,  in terms of general computing issues.  purge your temp files.  paging files,  run a chkdsk or defrag,  update GPU drivers,  or other system drivers.  

can try to further isolate the issue within the game,  by lowering settings.   ie... if you turn down the graphics settings do these lag spikes cease.  same with the ingame sound.    but my hunch would be you've either got some sort of corruption or performance issue with the installation.  

Message 2 of 11 (585 Views)

★★ Novice

Having the exact same issue as you, went through all the troubleshooting that support sent via e-mail to no avail. The lag makes it unplayable, have no issues with any other multiplayer game I play (Rocketleague, Vermintide or CivIV), it has to be an issue with the patch or servers.

Message 3 of 11 (578 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@ThatWelshGuy67 @LawSayingRoom

Morning gents

Could I suggest these few steps to get a basic idea of what your having to work with...

www.speedtest.net

Grab the Green Square on the center of the screen and move it to the location of the server which to play on....'ball park' area is fine.

If your on a West Coast server; then you'll wish to run your test to San Jose just north of LA in the states.

If your East Coast I would think New York???  (*Im unclear exactly where the EC servers are).. 

If your on a European Server; They are in Dublin Ireland so test there.. 

*Im currently in NZ, so I drag the green square to San Jose and test there for Harbringer server... and I can share it like so.

Not bad for middle earth but these values have some key indications towards gaming.

Lets see what you have.

Message 4 of 11 (560 Views)

★★ Novice

I am having the same issues. Really notice it in War Zones though I did notice it in the story chapters as well.

My Server Lag was up to 10000 ms at times last night in war zones and it would happen every minute or two.

I got 78 Ping, 3.02 Mbps and 2.5 Mbps doing the speed test.

Message 5 of 11 (546 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@Damedius

Any chance you could share your test with us so that others can compare?

I did see a few minor issues yesterday but it was like 20 seconds of grrrrrrr throughout the whole day for me on Harbringer playing from NZ.

Ideally when you start getting grief ingame run the test again quickly.

*this is only a side note, but some folks can confuse fps lag with internet lag... two different things.

3megs down and 2.5up is ok... it's nothing flash.. doesn't allow alot of breathing room if you have other things going on in the background; not just of your pc.. but your house as well.... Mum & Dad or Kids surfing YouTube or Facebook spamming refresh can hurt at that kind of speed.

Don't forget phones connected to the wifi eat bandwidth also.... heaven help you if you have a 30 gig game update going on somewhere.. or Skype'ing the GF/BF/Significant Other.

Netflix on the main TV in the Lounge???.. everything has an appetite. 

Message 6 of 11 (542 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Just did again.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5876029912

I'm also on Harbringer. Late last night was horrible for me.

I'm just taking the Server Lag reading from the minimap. It goes red a lot on me. Though today has been better so far

Also I'm the only one using the internet in my home.

Message 7 of 11 (536 Views)

★★ Novice

I kind of think it's on their end. It's happening again in War Zones. This time I ended up losing connection and got booted. My internet is fine outside the game.

I'm going to give my ISP a call anyways to see what they say.

Message 8 of 11 (525 Views)

★★ Novice

My ISP is having me wrong a ping test while I play with the CMD command so i'll report back once I know more.

Message 9 of 11 (518 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@Damedius

Ahh Nice.. this 'guide' my help you in your path... :D (insert shameless plug) 

http://answers.ea.com/t5/STAR-WARS-The-Old-Republic/Guide-to-identify-network-issues-for-Swtor/m-p/4...

This is a more in depth version of what your ISP will have you do.. and will certainly add more pieces to your puzzle.

Message 10 of 11 (514 Views)