by DarthFDG

Original Post

HDR on PC doesn't work, breaks colors

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Product: Star Wars Battlefront II
Platform:PC
What is your issue related to? General
Summarize your bug With an HDR monitor, and the latest optional AMD Adrenalin drivers, attempting to open Battlefront II results in the monitor being permanently dim/overbrightened until the PC is restarted.
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? steamp0rt
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Can you tell us the date (MM/DD/YYYY) that you saw the bug?
What time did you see the bug? (HH:MM AM/PM)
In what game mode did the bug occur? Campaign
What is your time zone? EST (IET) - GMT - 5:30
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Step 1. Have HDR monitor with HDR enabled Step 2. Have AMD GPU with latest optional drivers Step 3. Open battlefront Step 4. Squint your eyes, you can't see anything cuz it's so dark
What happens when the bug occurs? The monitor is permanently dim/overbrightened until the PC is restarted.
What do you expect to see? HDR Colors
Please select your region North America
AMD or Nvidia Model Number AMD RX 5700 XT

I can't use HDR at all, because playing Battlefront II will force me to restart my PC if I do so!!

Message 1 of 8 (1,176 Views)

Re: HDR on PC doesn't work, breaks colors

Hero

@steamp0rt wrote:

Product: Star Wars Battlefront II
Platform:PC
What is your issue related to? General
Summarize your bug With an HDR monitor, and the latest optional AMD Adrenalin drivers, attempting to open Battlefront II results in the monitor being permanently dim/overbrightened until the PC is restarted.
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? steamp0rt
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Can you tell us the date (MM/DD/YYYY) that you saw the bug?
What time did you see the bug? (HH:MM AM/PM)
In what game mode did the bug occur? Campaign
What is your time zone? EST (IET) - GMT - 5:30
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Step 1. Have HDR monitor with HDR enabled Step 2. Have AMD GPU with latest optional drivers Step 3. Open battlefront Step 4. Squint your eyes, you can't see anything cuz it's so dark
What happens when the bug occurs? The monitor is permanently dim/overbrightened until the PC is restarted.
What do you expect to see? HDR Colors
Please select your region North America
AMD or Nvidia Model Number AMD RX 5700 XT

I can't use HDR at all, because playing Battlefront II will force me to restart my PC if I do so!!

This may be more of a monitor issue, rather than SWBF2.

I also have an HDR-capable monitor. However, to call it an HDR monitor is a bit of a stretch, as it does not have the brightness required to really play HDR content. If you haven't already, you might want to research your monitor's brightness against HDR spec.

When I turn HDR on in Windows and in the game (via options menu), it's too dark. If I keep HDR off in Windows, but turn it on in the game, it looks pretty good.

If a post helps, please click the XP button, so the poster learns what is helping.

If a post answered your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button, so others can quickly find what worked.
Message 2 of 8 (1,071 Views)

★★ Novice
@DarthFDG I reported this as a SWBFII issue because that's the only place it ever happened. Watching HDR videos in Chromium? Fine. Playing Redout? Fine.
Message 3 of 8 (1,056 Views)

Hero

@steamp0rt wrote:
@DarthFDGI reported this as a SWBFII issue because that's the only place it ever happened. Watching HDR videos in Chromium? Fine. Playing Redout? Fine.

Yeah, that's what I was eluding to. If I have it turned on in Windows, other stuff in Windows looks OK. If I also turn it on in SWBF2, it's too dark. It's like its putting HDR on top of HDR.

Even though it may legitimately be a SWBF2 bug, if your monitor does not fully support HDR (there are quite a few out there), its going to look worse.

If a post helps, please click the XP button, so the poster learns what is helping.

If a post answered your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button, so others can quickly find what worked.
Message 4 of 8 (1,034 Views)

★★ Novice
@DarthFDG My monitor is the Dell s3220dgf, which according to the specs, supports DisplayHDR 400. It also has FreeSync 2 HDR.
Message 5 of 8 (1,020 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@steamp0rt wrote:
@DarthFDGMy monitor is the Dell s3220dgf, which according to the specs, supports DisplayHDR 400. It also has FreeSync 2 HDR.

Yep - sorry to say that's substandard HDR 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/axvcxc/hdr10_vs_hdr400/

Message 6 of 8 (998 Views)

★★ Novice
@DarthFDG it appears this issue is an AMD driver issue:

"Multiple games may have very dark or very bright graphics in game when HDR is enabled in Windows®."
Message 7 of 8 (921 Views)

★★ Novice

This is likely fixed by "Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.2.1", as this is in Fixed Issues: "HDR content may become overly dark or overly bright in some DirectX®12 API games on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products."

Message 8 of 8 (805 Views)