HDR issue on PC

by B_Zee_786

Original Post

Re: HDR issue on PC

★ Novice

It is absolutely absurd that this still has not been fixed, or even addressed. Luckily BoogerM0nster's workaround worked for me, but it's ridiculous that we even have to do it. I don't like the way HDR looks, and just to play this one game I have to enable it for my whole computer

Message 81 of 90 (3,272 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Fixed With Auto HDR Windows 11 

Disabled HDR in Game Settings 

Auto HDR Windows 11 - ON  

Auto HDR Windows 11https://imgur.com/Q6FX03s 

Message 82 of 90 (3,228 Views)

★★★ Novice

And how do we get this?

Windows 11 not even out yet 

Message 83 of 90 (3,001 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I finally found a real fix. It's because the game is trying to use Dolby Vision for HDR but Windows only supports Dolby Vision on certain licensed devices(mostly laptops). The same thing happens if you try to enable Dolby Vision in ME: Andromeda

I used Custom Resolution Utility, edited the CTA-861 extension block and removed the Dolby Video data block. This basically tells windows that your display doesn't support Dolby Vision. After a reboot the game is outputting in regular HDR10 now. Dolby Vision just doesn't work on PC anyways so nothing is really lost here and you can revert back to defaults with CRU too if support ever gets added. 

Message 84 of 90 (2,817 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
@Junglist724 Nice, this is a good find!
Message 85 of 90 (2,716 Views)

★★ Novice

You sir are a genius. After how many years its working. Stupid Dolby. Respect.

Message 86 of 90 (2,662 Views)

★★★ Novice
@Junglist724 Thanks. It works like a charm.
Message 87 of 90 (2,506 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@Junglist724I had tried absolutely everything I could find, I already use this utility. THANK YOU, SIR! Mine happened to be listed as “vendor specific video” but that did fix it!

Message 88 of 90 (1,901 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I was able to get it to work with Heat by removing the Dolby Video string as well.

I wish this worked with Unbound. It just seems to do nothing when toggling on there. 

Message 89 of 90 (1,431 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I ended up installing NFS Heat on another computer connected to a non-Dolby Vision display, configuring settings to turn HDR off, then copying the "Documents\Need for Speed Heat\settings\PROFILEOPTIONS_profile" file to the PC that was connected to a Dolby Vision display.

Then I was able to configure the graphics as needed on the PC connected to the Dolby Vision display because HDR was already off.

Message 90 of 90 (785 Views)