Original Post

Re: HDR issue on PC

★ Apprentice

I think I have the same issue.
My setup

• ryzen 3600
  • RTX 2070s
  • LG GL850

I turned HDR in Windows, Monitor. As soon as I launch game and try to set HDR there as "Auto" -- whole picture becomes super overlighted, its like you multiple the HDR effect on 10. (you cannot even see nitro panel because its overlighted). If I turn it on, then its okay, but without HDR obviously.

Message 71 of 90 (5,111 Views)

★ Pro
https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/freesync-hdr-games This game should aim for Freesync Premium Pro if it wan't to be a good HDR experience.
Message 72 of 90 (5,075 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

WoW, this is insane, you never fixed the dolby vision bug.

What's wrong with you @dev ????

So, you just lost a big player/client and also a shareholder of Electronic Arts Inc.

I'm very disappointed, I will just uninstall the game and never play to a NFS game in the future.

Serisouly, WTF, why did you not fix this major problem since the release ???????

You know that if we have a TV screen with dolby vision/HDR, we need to reboot the PC after we finished to play NFS Heat, right ??? (because the screen remain black and DV is still on)

You just needed to disable DV like others DEV did in anthem, mass effect, star wars battlefront II and BF V.

Message 73 of 90 (4,463 Views)

★★★ Novice

Same issue here. I bought the game on Steam hoping to run it on my HTPC connected to my OLED TV. Even when I trick the game to run in windowed mode so I can go to setting and change it to run in borderless windowed mode, the next time I launch the game, it goes to full-screen and Dolby Vision activates and black screen. So far I couldn't play the game because of this issue. I'm thinking to return it if I can't figure out how to run it on my HTPC. That's a bummer because it looks like a very nice game.

Message 74 of 90 (4,328 Views)

★★ Novice

The game really is beautiful. But this bug with dolby vision stayting on and causing a black screen when i close the game or alt tab to the desktop is mind numbingly infuriating. As more and more tvs and monitors get hdr and dolby vision, this bug is only going to affect more and more people. 

this program feels more like a virus than a game. The fact that even though its closed its still messing with windows hdr settings that i cant affect in the control panel. and the fact that my cpu lights up to the high 80s for like 2 minutes when i first launch the game, it makes it feel like its mining bitcoins for ea than actually loading assets for the game.

Message 75 of 90 (4,278 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

This issue has just gotten a lot worse for me. Previously the game would work (most of the time), but leave me with a black screen on exit. Now (since upgrading my Nvidia graphics driver to 451.48) I just get a black screen, and there is no way to play it (except for windowed mode, which is still a crapshoot tbh as the game keeps wanting to fullscreen itself and reenable DV). I hope this issue gets fixed eventually... even if we had the option to switch to HDR10 since the DV implementation is broken, that would be better than this.

EDIT: I found a workaround that at least lets me play, and DV is working. This is with an Nvidia 2080Ti and an LG C9. What I do is set the game (in its config file) to 3840x2160 resolution (with GstRender.HDRMode 1). I then switch the desktop to a non-native resolution (e.g. 2560x1440) and launch the game. This results in the game working fine at 4K with no black screen (no clue why it works, but it does - every time).

When you exit the game you will still be left with a black screen instead of a desktop - as has always been the case, due to the game not disengaging DV properly. If you have another screen attached, you can switch to it (hold Windows key and press P twice to switch from a secondary display to a primary one) and then disable/reenable the graphics card via Device Manager to avoid having to reboot the system.

Situation still sucks, but at least this is a functioning workaround for me.

Message 76 of 90 (4,226 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Great post, thank you for posting. I had a 'working' workaround for SDR already, and somehow got it in DV with a normal image once or twice by messing with alot of things. But your info is correct.

Very useful windows shortkey as well that I didn't know yet.

Edit: do you also have spots / sparkles on the screen this way?

Edit2:

- The weird spots on the screen are caused by using resolution scale under 100.

- Ini file is documents/Need for Speed Heat/settings/PROFILEOPTIONS_profile (incase someone was missing this info)

- Works if you want to play in 1440p as well, windows has to be in 4k then.

- Works only for me if FullscreenScreen 1 and FullscreenMode 0, FullscreenMode can be set to 1 unwanted if you switch screens / test workarounds/ alt enter.

- Not sure what H3llf1re does to re-enable the gfx card. After playing the game, things are still not completely normal and it seems to be that Nvidia colour setting dynamic range is changed to full. Changing it back to limited will trigger the black DV screen. Reboot will fix that.

Message 77 of 90 (4,079 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

It's almost November 2020, and I've been pulling my hair out over this as well. I've spent hours searching for answers and in the process of trying suggested workarounds, I've actually broken other games. Very frustrating. Thankfully I've been able to resolve those other issues, but the Dolby Vision black screen remains.

I can at least get NFS Heat to run without triggering Dolby Vision by turning Deep Color mode off in my TV settings (LG C8). But as soon as I try and switch it back on, even after exiting the game, it triggers Dolby Vision and I'm stuck with a black screen.

After several reboots of both the PC and the TV, I'm not exactly sure what I did but somehow things are back to normal. If this is what I have to go through every time I want to play this game, then that's ridiculous. I wish I could get a refund but I'm past the date.

Message 78 of 90 (3,548 Views)

★★ Novice

Was thinking to give this game a go in 2021 to find out its still as broken as it was when it came out(talking about a worthless company). I was part of the NFS franchise since NFS 1 1994 so for a long time and to see EA destroying game franchises like this it hurts they killed NFS, Mass Effect, Anthem, Medal of Honor and many more. Too bad we cant uninstall EA like we can uninstall the broken things they call games.

Message 79 of 90 (3,067 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Same issue here. It is June 2021, and this problem hasn't been fixed. My setup is an RTX 3070, Ryzen 5600x, LG CX 55 OLED TV.

After enabling HDR in NFS Heat, I get a forever lasting black screen due to it never disabling properly. In ME:A, it works fine in HDR10, but switching to Dolby Vision causes the same issue.

Disabling HDMI ultra HD deep color fixes the issue temporarily, but the only true fix is restarting the computer. 

Deplorable.

Message 80 of 90 (2,578 Views)