Re: Dolby Vision black screen - unplayable

by Pulec765

Original Post

Re: What's the deal with the crappy HDR implementation on PC?

★★★★★ Apprentice

I'm not using a TV. This is on a 32" Samsung QLED monitor. No other titles I have do this. Only EA titles. What I see is like MPEG compression artifacts. It's just awful to see on high res devices. My LG C9 does it too when I decide to hook my PC up to it. Just sucks. I hope that Fallen Order doesn't have this problem. I'll be devastated if that one has crappy HDR implementation.

Windows 10

1080 Ti

Message 11 of 90 (5,975 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

@Dukeinator

I am currently having the same issue with the latest game ready drivers.

9900ks
2080 Ti
LG C9

EDIT: I found a temporary fix on my own.

1. Disable deep color mode on the TV

2. Locate file PROFILEOPTIONS_profile in C:\Users\YOUR-NAME\Documents\Need for Speed Heat\settings

3. Open the file and change GstRender.HDRMode 1 to 0

Message 12 of 90 (5,954 Views)

Community Manager

@B_Zee_786 

Unfortunately for now you will likely need to disable Deep Colour/HDR10 in order to see correct colours.

barry.png
Message 13 of 90 (5,946 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

I have a similary issue with Dolby Vision.

OLED55C7v + RTX 2080 TI with last driver (also tested with an OLED65E9)

Posted full details here : https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Dolby-Vision-BUG-Again-only-black-screen-when-leaving-the...

EDITED : Why My post with full details was deleted ??? OMG.

Seriously ??? I post in the right section : "technical issue" and you delete my post, why ???

General Discussion is not the right place for it ...

The game is launching fine, I can play in Dolby Vision mode ... but I if I ALT TAB, the screen goes black and if I leave the game, the screen remain black until I restart the PC ...

@EA_Barry 

Why the dev can't fix this dolby vision bug ? (Remove the Dolby vision to use only HDR like they did on Anthem is not a fix, just a workaround ...)

It's a shame because this game in dolby vision is beautifull ... (a lot better than HDR)

Read my post linked above for more details ^^

Can't you work with NVIDIA and or Microsoft to fix this issue once and for all with Dolby Vision ? (It was working perfectly fine on Mass Effect Andromeda when i did the game ...)

Message 14 of 90 (5,926 Views)

★★ Novice
@GoforceReloaded I have the same problem. HDR and Dolbi Vision are not working. I tried different settings and unfortunately only works with HDR off. I'm really angry. Because on xbox one X everything will work as it should. But I don't want to play on XBOX.

I have:

2080ti
LG OLED B8
Message 15 of 90 (5,880 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@CRSSQUARED wrote:

I'm not using a TV. This is on a 32" Samsung QLED monitor. No other titles I have do this. Only EA titles. What I see is like MPEG compression artifacts. It's just awful to see on high res devices. My LG C9 does it too when I decide to hook my PC up to it. Just sucks. I hope that Fallen Order doesn't have this problem. I'll be devastated if that one has crappy HDR implementation.

Windows 10

1080 Ti

Fallen Order shouldn't have this issue since Respawn usually uses source or unreal engine instead of Frostbite. It's why Apex Legends doesn't have this issue, but every recent EA release from NFS Heat, Anthem, Battlefield V... to as far back as 2012 I've long researched this issue. Sometimes the issue is so bad with every Frostbite based game release it trips Windows 10 into keeping Dolby Vision always on even if I'm not in game and always reboots Windows into a black screen.

My only fix was to go into Nvidia control panel and manually set output color format to YCbCr422 and Output Color Depth to 10bit. Then turn Windows 10 HDR mode on in its settings.

It's a super jank workaround if you have an Nvidia GPU and monitor having this issue, but I can now play NFS Heat in HDR10 with no problem and no black screen issues.

Message 16 of 90 (5,807 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@EA_Barry wrote:

@B_Zee_786 

Unfortunately for now you will likely need to disable Deep Colour/HDR10 in order to see correct colours.

What kind of dubious response is this? You mean unfortunately for now you have to just disable HDR. The whole point is we aren't getting correct colors and your "fix" just makes it so we can see it in SDR. Get it together and forward this to the appropriate department. Really sad to see this happen over and over again with every EA release.
Message 17 of 90 (5,790 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

i'm on LG Oled E6 tv and once i run game in 4k Dolby vision kicks in and I see black screen with music on. On 1920x1080 it works tho but I don't see this as true HRD. games looks dull. this is what we get for purchasing for a full price: unpolished abomination of a product.

Message 18 of 90 (5,757 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Any news for a fix please ?

Can you disable Dolby Vision from the game so we can play in HDR normally ? (or fix DV : d)

Thanks Frown

Message 19 of 90 (5,696 Views)

★★★ Novice

Are you serious?! How about you start making games that are properly made and FINISHED!!!!! EVERY SINGLE GAME from EA with HDR has this issue for me!!!!!!!!! And this guy has a nerve to say UNFORTUNATELY you need to disable it!!!!! EA makes me sick and from now on I will never ever buy anything you make cos all you care about is to take our money for your crappy unfinished games and you fix them months after release, my patience has run out for you, I cant believe EA still exists after so many * ups! Keep your crappy games!!!! Im tired of you!!!!

Message 20 of 90 (5,597 Views)