Re: HDR Broken on Origin (PC) Fullscreen or Boarderless

by -SirParcival-TV

Original Post

HDR Broken on Origin (PC) Fullscreen or Boarderless

★★★★ Apprentice

There is no difference between SDR and HDR. It is grey and washed out. HDR works in all other EA titles on Origin. Battlefront II, 2042, HDR works fine. It's very noticeable. There aren't any HDR controls within the graphics menu, just off or auto, and auto does nothing. HDR is turned on in windows, and like I said, I've been gaming HDR titles for years, my setup is on point (4090, S95B)

Message 1 of 35 (2,065 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I've tried using the Windows HDR calibration tool, it did not fix the issue. All other HDR content (Games and Video) works 100% fine. 

Message 2 of 35 (2,057 Views)

★★ Novice
@-SirParcival-TV I have the same problem, Alienware AD3423DW + 4090, in other Frostbite titles like BF or also NFS Heat HDR works problem-free, in NFS Unbound it does not work properly.
Message 3 of 35 (2,034 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

So you also have a 4090, i wonder if that's the issue. There's an article about this here:

https://www.techpowerup.com/301693/rtx-4090-has-issues-with-need-for-speed-unbound-that-can-only-be-...

I don't know if I want to flash the vbios of my gpu yet, but that might be the fix. It clearly states this is only for a black screen bug, but might fix the HDR issue too?

Message 4 of 35 (1,975 Views)

★★ Novice

I don't think that's our solution, since other Frostbite titles run without problems in HDR. I would let a few more days go by and see what the first patch brings.

Message 5 of 35 (1,964 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Yeah, I'm pretty sad about this. Morso because there's no real rally cry from people with this issue, so it probably will get lost in the shuffle. Haven't seen any devs mention that this is even an issue...

Message 6 of 35 (1,934 Views)

★★ Novice

Try this....
but game in borderless windowed -> open browser in corner of display over the game. -> open a hdr video on youtube:
Now check in the background if it looks normal to you.

It's a weird bug I had too.

If you put the game in windowed mode then ALT+TAB it will be like 'regular' HDR brightness that you want where the colors are much more vibrant in the game in the background. When you ALT+TAB back in, the game will go back to being smudged up. So to fix this...

1...-> Turn off FreeSync if you don't have FreeSync 2/Premium or its equivalent, GSYNC (Ultimate). HDR support with VRR enabled with non 'premium' VRR monitors is not good. Additionally If you are running at 4K.. You NEED to cap your frames @60FPS. Unless you have the newest display standards that output HDR above 4K@60. I believe that is exclusive to HDMI 2.1
2... -> HDR=ON in Windows and in game... Set the Lightning effects in game in (Accessibility) = ON. It will make the game darker.. but the gamma is better. (Less washed out). Trust me on this. Also turn gamma correction in (Display/Graphics) settings = 0/100. Your game will be darker then ever now.
3...-> [ALT + TAB] then go to YouTube, put it in a small window over your game, and search up a HDR Video. Whichever one works. Your desired HDR settings will blast on. With the game running in the background, you will see that it corrects itself. (I was like wtf?? when I saw this lol.)
4...->NOW HIT [WIN+ALT+B]. This will turn HDR in Windows off. Then you hit [WIN+ALT+B] again to turn it back on. Then [ALT+TAB] into the game and pray it works. If it doesn't, try again.
5...-> Now with the corrected REAL Vibrant HDR... You can adjust your monitor brightness, color corrections, + in game gamma correction to your flavor.

Yes. you will have to do this every time.

Message 7 of 35 (1,922 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Same Problem here and i won't use a workarround that costs me 10min everytime i want to play the game... fix it EA ffs. 

i'm using a RTX4090 aswell if thats somehow related to the problem. 

Message 8 of 35 (1,871 Views)

★★★ Novice

Same Problem here with RTX4090

Message 9 of 35 (1,813 Views)

★★★ Novice

I flashed my 4090 FE with latest VBIOS and the issue is still here...

I'm playing on a 4K TV set at 120 Hz with GSync over HDMI 2.1.

I don't have any issue with every other games, only NFS does not enable HDR.

Would be way better to force it On instead of relying on a bugged Auto setting...

I just tried LEGO Star Wars and I can even force HDR on my non-HDR monitor (image is too bright but at least the game can force it)

Message 10 of 35 (1,771 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help