Re: HDD Load-in and other issues

by DrW1g

Original Post

Accepted Solution

HDD Load-in and other issues

★ Novice

Hi all,

It seems others are having these problems as well, but I'll just add my particular cocktail of tech issues to the pile for dev consideration..

Loading Issues:

I'm having some of the same issues others are having with loading on my HDD, specifically:

• Fairly long load times at app start and mission start, which would be more bearable were it not for...
  • Regularly getting kicked at match starts (after briefing/loadout selection) due to loading timeout. This happens less frequently in dogfight mode but 9/10 times in ranked ship v ship mode.
  • Issues in singleplayer as art assets are cacheing... on initial startup I sometimes had instances where high-detail meshes and textures failed to load in hangar/briefing zones. Additionally, voice audio samples sometimes are skipped during interactions with characters which this problem happens. Going to the main menu and back fixes this, as I assume more assets are pre-cached. Obviously, I have no idea how the game's code functions so talk of pre-caching assets etc is speculative....

If these issues are simply the result of inherent speed restrictions of HDD's vs SSD's, either devs should increase the time threshold for loading timeouts or list an SSD as a minimum system requirement (and ideally offer refunds to customers without one). Hopefully that won't be necessary and some of these issues are fixable glitches!

Connectivity Issues:

EA servers love to kick me off seemingly at random, requiring me to re-log-in in the main menu regularly. My own network admittedly has occasional connectivity issues (internet cuts out occasionally), but disconnection to EA servers happens even when internet is still connected. I'm connected directly to my router via ethernet so its not a wi-fi issue...

Random crashes:

Occasionally after a game ends or I am booted from one for the aforementioned reasons, I'll get a CTD just to add insult to injury. I've yet to establish any pattern beyond it tending to happen at the end of matches, to the best of my recollection.

To conclude, I wouldn't be typing this up unless I didn't really enjoy the game when it is working or if my computer clearly couldn't handle it... besides the aforementioned glitches and some ingame stuttering during early-mission load-in, it runs great. I hope the devs can get around to fixing these issues soon, as it seems I'm not alone in encountering them.

Thanks for reading!

Message 1 of 6 (335 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★★★ Novice
@sreidy2 I fixed all my stuttering problems with a graphics driver clean and reinstall....must have been an issue with the nvidia driver that came out around the same time as v2.0 of squadrons.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Still-terrible-performance-in-Hanger/m-p/9903565#M7257

View in thread

Message 6 of 6 (219 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@sreidy2re. your loading issues....I'm having terrible stuttering issues etc. too....it's easily visible in the hanger and in-game. I'm installed on an SSD, and had none of these issues at all pre V2.0. Like you, it really feels like a texture/asset loading issue, but it seems to be a new bug as it was extremely smooth preV2.0 for me......

DrW1g

Message 2 of 6 (295 Views)

★ Novice

Hey, that's good to know that it probably isn't a hardware issue! Kinda broke right now and didn't want to have to spring for an SSD... Hopefully a fix is forthcoming then....

Also I now realize this would be more at home in the bug reports forum, so mods feel free to move...

Message 3 of 6 (291 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@sreidy2 fingers crossed for a fix in today's update.....it's not explicitly mentioned in the fixes, though.....I'm not even sure they're recognising it as a bug, yet..........
Message 4 of 6 (275 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@sreidy2 Have you tried patch v3.0 yet? I've loaded it just to check the hangar performance and I'm still getting much worse performance than patch v1.3 (which was flawless for me). I've not had a chance to start up the flying bit yet.......
Message 5 of 6 (259 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@sreidy2 I fixed all my stuttering problems with a graphics driver clean and reinstall....must have been an issue with the nvidia driver that came out around the same time as v2.0 of squadrons.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Still-terrible-performance-in-Hanger/m-p/9903565#M7257

Message 6 of 6 (220 Views)