Gibraltar's ult freezing my game?

★★★★★ Novice

Product: Apex Legends
Platform:PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
AMD or Nvidia Model Number Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
Enter RAM memory size in GB 16
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? Eoypsille
Please provide your squad mates' gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name if possible. n/a
Are you using any software with an overlay? No
Which Legend were you playing (if applicable)? n/a
Which Legends were your squad mates using (if applicable)? n/a
Where did the issue occur? In a match
Which part of the map or menu were you in? If you don't remember the exact name, please describe the area or what you were trying to do in the menu. Any part of the map. Twice near train yard, once outside of Capitol Cit.
What were you doing when the issue occurred? E.g. respawning a squad mate at a beacon, using an ability, a squad mate left the game. In team fights against Gibraltars.
Did your squad mates also experience the issue? No
How many matches had you played in a row before the issue occurred? Had it happen twice in a row, then not for maybe 10 matches.
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) 30.10.2019 - 01.11.2019
How often does the bug occur? Occasionally (10% - 49%)
How severe is your issue? Major impacts to gameplay
What happens when the bug occurs? Apex freezes, then Windows pops up with the "Not responding" window.
What should be happening instead? The game shouldn't freeze when Gibraltar uses his ult.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? I haven't tested this with a friendly Gibraltar, but an enemy Gibraltar ult hear you will cause this issue.

So at first I thought this issue was caused by sniper scopes, since the first time it occurred I was using a 4x/10x scope looking through a combination of Gibby's, Bang's and Caustic's ults outside of trainyard. The crash happened a few seconds after I looked at all the ults being used at once. The next time it happened it was when I was using a 4x/8x looking at a Gibby ult hitting another team.

I started thinking it could be related to Gibby's ult today when it crashed while I was downed inside a Gibby bubble watching his ult rain down. All 3 times this issue has occurred I have been near the ring (enough to see the glow of the ring affect the colors in the world).

Message 1 of 8 (782 Views)

Re: Gibraltar's ult freezing my game?

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

It's not Gibby's ult, it happened again with the smoke that appears after Bangalore's ult. This is the screenshot I got right as it happened.

https://i.imgur.com/LL1IAgs.png

Message 2 of 8 (728 Views)

Community Manager

Hey, @Eoypsille!

It sounds like a corrupted driver if you're freezing under different conditions. Try these following steps:

1. Search "Windows Updates" in the taskbar search bar to see if you have any pending updates
  2. Unplug all the devices hooked up to your PC and only plug back in the mouse, keyboard, and headset.
  3. Uninstall your GPU driver and reinstall them. Here is how to do it manually.
  4. Perform a Clean Boot before you launch the game again and run Origin as Administrator. If the game runs fine but crashes again once you restart your PC, it could be a program running in the background conflicting with Origin.

Keep us in the loop, good luck!

Blueberry.png
Message 3 of 8 (694 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Windows 10 is up to date, I've ran the game with only my keyboard, mouse, and speakers attached, and I've completely removed and reinstalled my display drivers twice. I ran the clean boot that you linked, but it didn't help.

As of right now, I've been able to pinpoint exactly when it freezes:

-When I aim down sights at the dust and smoke left over from either Bangalore or Gibraltar's ultimates (80% of the time)
-When I am downed and get hit by ether Bangalore or Gibraltar's ultimates (100% of the time)
-When I aim down sights while looking through the fire left by a thermite (50% of the time)

Message 4 of 8 (648 Views)

Community Manager

@Eoypsille 

What happens if you turn down the Texture Streaming Budget and lower the video settings in your in-game settings?

Blueberry.png
Message 5 of 8 (624 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Sorry it took a while to reply. usually I get emails when people comment, but this one didn't alert me.

I attached a screenshot of my advanced settings. All the unseen settings below Model Detail are set to their lowest. I have my game in borderless windowed in 1440p and 100 FOV.

I was able to aim down sights at Gibraltar's ult which previously froze my PC. I heard my GPU's fans ramp up, but the game still ran. I repeated this a few times, each time looking at the dummies in the Firing Range while throwing Gibraltar's ult and staying out of it's blast zone. No freezes.

Then I stepped into my ult so I'd take damage and the game froze almost instantly.

Message 6 of 8 (589 Views)

Hey @Eoypsille 

Can you set adaptive resolution FPS Target to 0?

I see some livekernel events that might indicate some windows files are corrupted.
Can you press the Windows key, type CMD, right-click and select run as administrator.
A terminal will open, here type in: sfc /scannow

When you see Verification 100% complete, type exit and reboot.

Now open Origin, open your game library.
Click on Apex Legends and click settings.
Repair the game and to get it to crash.

Let me know if this changes anything.

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png
Message 7 of 8 (570 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I should mention that a while back I was having an issue with my game freezing constantly on the main menu and sometimes when I was in a game (if I could get into a game before it froze on the menu). I found that setting my game to be in borderless windowed and turning on adaptive v-sync removed the crash for the most part. This issue was never fixed, but you can check my profile history if it might help with this issue. I've been using the borderless windowed and adaptive v-sync workaround I found since then.

I did everything in your previous reply. the SFC scan found and fixed errors, then I restarted my PC and repaired Apex. The game still froze once I aimed down sights at Gibraltar's ult. I recorded some video of the crash as well as a weird texture flicker I was getting while in the firing range.

The freeze in action 

Texture flickering 

Message 8 of 8 (538 Views)