General PC issue with laggy ouput

by FragbaitDax

Original Post

General PC issue with laggy ouput

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

My issues are not isolated to BFV so it's a general PC issue, not a Battlefield issue.

Basically the game was running fine up until 2 days ago at which time there was a Windows update. Ever since then my system has been very laggy in its performance. If I join BFV and move my weapon around it's like dragging it through water and if I oscillate back and forward quickly, the muzzle will lag and continue to move a few seconds after I let go of the mouse. Other games have similar lag issues.

I've also noticed that dragging browser windows around on my screen displays lag where none previously existed.

I've checked my video card drivers are up to date and even tested an older driver that was definitely working prior to the problems and that had no impact at all.

Even opening programs on my system seems slower, there's a definite pause between click and activation.

I've had a quick look at the windows update and it appears there were 4 updates loaded around this time pertaining to Windows ( a further 91 updates were related to the Microsoft Office Professional suite and are unlikely to be the culprit). Two of the four are security updates so I don't really want to uninstall them. The last two are updates for Windows itself so most likely to be causing the issue.

Before I go uninstalling updates though, has anyone else had a similar experience and is this likely to fix my issue / break my computer? Or is this purely coincidental in timing and my problem lies elsewhere? I haven't changed any system settings or installed anything lately so can't conceive of anything else that would be causing an issue.

Any guidance and advise would be most welcome! It'll also get me back in the Battle quickly so you can shoot me in the head Standard smile

Message 1 of 10 (780 Views)

Re: General PC issue with laggy ouput

@FragbaitDax What are your PC specs and OS?
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Please mark a thread as solved if a post solves your issue.

EA Answers HQ Volunteer Forum Moderator

BF3, BF4, BF1, BFV DICE Friend tag awardee

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Twitter: Ragnarok013
Message 2 of 10 (757 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi Ragnarok, here's my specs:

PC Desktop

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900X 8-Core 3.8GHz

RAM 16 Gb

Graphics GTX 1080 Ti

Mobo X399 Aorus Xtreme

In researching this I think I may have narrowed down the issue. It appears that my Network Adapter is not operating correctly stating the Device cannot start (Code 10)

This is the onboard adapter: Aquantia AQtion 10Gbit Network Adapter (NDIS 6.50 Miniport) and device manager indicates a series of events for the adapter on the same day I began experiencing the problem. The list of events across a period of a couple of minutes is:

Device install requested

Device install requested

Device migrated

Device configured (oem30.inf)

Device installed (atlantic650.inf_amd64 - string continues off screen)

Device not started (AquantiaNDMP)

Device deleted

Device not migrated

Device configured (oem30.inf)

Device not started (AquantiaNDMP)

I need to head off to work but will look into this further tonight.

Message 3 of 10 (744 Views)

★★★ Novice

OK, so I've reinstalled the driver for the network adaptor, updated to the latest driver and got that working. Tried the game again and felt like a minor improvement, but could just be the placebo effect. Definitely didn't fix the problem.

I've then looked at the latest windows updates and removed two of the updates that weren't related to Security updates... and I still have laggy game play, though it is a little better again.

I'm getting close to the stage of burning the PC to the ground and reinstalling everything from scratch. I recall now why I gave up on computers and played games on consoles.

Message 4 of 10 (720 Views)

Champion (Retired)

There is a number of things that you could try to find the issue:

-Install the latest NVME drivers from Intel or SSD supplier

-Reset your motherboard BIOS and or try to update it

-Try enabling an or disabling XMP in BIOS

-Do a disk cleanup of your OS and game drive (Or TRIM if on SSD)

-Reinstall the latest AMD Ryzen motherboard chipset drivers

-Use a driver cleaner to remove the graphics driver and reinstall the latest one once its done

-Check all component temperatures

-Make sure All  components and system fans etcetera are clean of dust and obstructions blocking the airflow

-Cleanboot your PC

as a start.... hope it helps and good luck!

_________________________________________________________________________________

▪Did you find my post useful? Please grant + XP✔
▪Did my post solve your issue/answer your question? Please accept as solution✔

EA Champion

I'm simply a Volunteer, and do not work for EA
Message 5 of 10 (710 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@FragbaitDax Give this a try please and follow every step please....  Test your windows for errors as a clean windows install does not always make a stable windows.

NOTE: Running SFC does not guarantee the crash will not happen, but it will ensure it is not because a windows Dll or file is corrupted in windows.

This works in all windows O/S vista Win7, Win8 , Win8.1 and win 10 windows system file checker :] Copy and past this to note pad and put it on your desktop. Open programs can give you errors when you run this so close steam, origin and web pages.

-For win 8.1 & win 10 right mouse click start bottom left of screen / windows box and pick command prompt administrator or Windows Power shell Admin.

1-Open administrator command prompt or Windows Power shell Admin and close web pages and programs like Origin, Steam etc.

2-Type or copy and paste in sfc /scannow and hit enter, This takes 5 min to 15 min SSD vs HD

3-This can go one of a few ways ..... no errors ... it fixed some errors ..... could not fix all errors...... does not finish checking and errors out ....... and the last one could not fix errors at all :/

4-After its done REBOOT PC and Run sfc /scannow again even if you had no errors the first time or had errors, could not fix run sfc /scannow again and when its done a second time reboot. You need to do this a and get no errors 2 x in a row to be fully sure windows is good to go...

Let me know how this goes if you need more help I will try and help you.

Message 6 of 10 (705 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thanks to everyone so far who has given up their time to assist me with my problem. I really appreciate your help!

@2042isNotBF I've run through your process to the letter including the reboot and the second scan with sfc /scannow and rather frustratingly it gives me the all clear both times. No errors were found.

On the plus side, we appear to have eliminated any windows problems, although perhaps there are some sort of conflicts that are not flagged as errors.

Message 7 of 10 (685 Views)

★★★★ Guide

Stupid question but have you plugged in/switched out any peripherals at the time this started to happen?

I had a similar issue earlier where everything seems to "lag" and I found out it was the new mouse I had paired with my Powerplay pad. After countless hours of reinstalling drivers etc I found the solution. It was simply just pull out the Powerplay usb cable and plug it back in. lol 

I have also seen other situations (at work) where windows seems to lag that turned out to be HW related and not SW related. Meaning some HW was not working properly and Windows/a driver seemed to "wait" for it to work as expected causing laggy performance.

I'm not saying its the solution for your problem but sometimes you need to think outside the box especially when the most likely fixes does not work. 

Message 8 of 10 (678 Views)

★★★ Novice

Definitely not a stupid question, it's good fault finding logic Standard smile

But, nope, no new peripherals, nothing changed in my set up.

It is quite possible I have some sort of hardware conflict that is causing that resolve delay you were describing. My last build was unbelievable difficult to get everything to work together properly. Over the years system building seemed to get easier and easier, but my last one was a doozy!

The big head scratcher for me is why the issue suddenly appeared several days ago, coinciding with a windows update. It seems like the strongest link for causing a problem, I just can't determine what it is though.

Message 9 of 10 (673 Views)

★★★★ Guide

It wouldn't hurt just reconnecting all plug n play components tho.

For all you know the last Win updated messed with something HW/driver related that may fix itself when reconnected. :P

Not that I expect this to be the fix but it should take less than a minute to do and then you can rule it out instead of doing like me and spend hours only to find out it was something really stupid. lol

Did you btw try to restore last known good configuration? Unless you have turned it off there should be at least one restore point.

Message 10 of 10 (666 Views)