Game wont start: "Please update video driver" - Nvidia / AMD

by PresenceOfMind

Original Post

Re: Game wont start: "Please update video driver" - Nvidia

★★ Apprentice

I have an alienware laptop that can pretty much run anything, but the graphics card has the same issue

Message 21 of 65 (944 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Hello all, like all of you I am having the same issue. I tried all general Nvidia drivers and nothing worked. I ended up chatting with Nvidia support and apparently all of graphics chips based on their Kepler architecture are not longer supported and will likely not be updated into the future (or at least there are no plans to do so as of right now). I am currently using an gtx870m video card 

I'

Message 22 of 65 (882 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@lima35 Edit: Refund instead of waiting and suffering. I love my laptop, she is old but still rocks and don't wanna replace her with a new one because of some stupid B class developers.
The plan is, buy an Xbox series S, get Game Pass and have fun. Simple and neat.
Message 23 of 65 (851 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@lima35 I'm definitely in the same boat. My laptop does just about everything I need and still see no urgent need to upgrade. Not to mention all the peripherals I have, including my HOTAS that I more or less bought specifically for Squadrons and FS2020. The crazy part about all this is how I can play FS2020 (albeit at medium settings) just fine with almost no issues. You'd think if anything that would have a more stringent requirement than squadrons. I haven't been into console gaming since the OG xbox/PS2 but I guess it might be time to get a new series X, since I already have the PC MS game pass. 

Message 24 of 65 (840 Views)

★★★★ Novice

That's such a just fork over more cash solution. If you're gonna throw down $300-500 on a new console why wouldn't you just get a new gpu, you can get a 1xxx GTX card for around $100 second hand. Or a 16xx GTX for $200 new. But this is not the point of this thread.

The question is, when will you game be able to run on the specs you have listed EA???

Message 25 of 65 (837 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@LVL99-Earwax You could also enable your game on GeForce Now for people using that service
Message 26 of 65 (825 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@LVL99-Earwax I completely agree with you 100%. Unfortunately, I have almost zero faith that either EA/Motive or Nvidia will actually do anything to rectify the situation.  If I had a regular PC, I'd easily just throw newer GPU in but it's just not possible in the case of most mobile GPUs. I hope I am proven wrong, but at this point, it is EA we're talking about. Like many people here I've been waiting since X-Wing vs TIE for a successor and it sucks not being able to play despite all indications that it shouldn't have been a problem. And FYI i do have a support ticket in to Nvidia to see what they say too. Again, not holding my breath though.

Message 27 of 65 (824 Views)

★ Apprentice

Also, doesn't Battlefront 2 have the same graphics requirements? I run that fine on my 770M. If I had a desktop, I would just upgrade the card; hard to do with a laptop. Trying to get 1-2 more years out of it, then will build a desktop. Never will buy a gaming laptop again. 

Message 28 of 65 (818 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@LVL99-Earwax You are absolutely right mate, if i had a custom made desktop unit. But for notebooks like i own ( Pavilion dv7 , 2013 model) 1. Nearly impossible to find here a 2nd hand GPU due this stupid corona disease ( posts and couriers do not work proper) 2. It is too risky to adapt a powerful card to my current system because of power problems.
The only practical and economical solution left, is what i mentioned.
Message 29 of 65 (789 Views)

★ Apprentice

From NVIDIA: On checking I found that the game requires an updated driver version and the last driver for your card is version 425.31.
Hence you do not meet the requirement to play the game.

The video card you are using was built on a architecture that does not allow the drivers to be updated further than version 425.31.

Thank you for your understanding.

So it sounds like we are SOL unless EA patches the game to allow the older cards to work, and I doubt they will. 

Message 30 of 65 (782 Views)