Re: Game won't boot properly - black screen

by iluminatethesky

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Game won't boot properly - black screen

★★★ Novice

Hey,

On launch, the game simply opens a window and won't load anything - memory usage goes to around 900-950 MB and stays there. Black screen, no spinning wheels, nothing indicating function. 

Game worked just fine until last night.

System specs:
Ryzen 2700X at default clocks

2x8 GB DDR4 3000 (Ryzen are picky about RAM, working at 2800 stable, no issues with anything else)

MSI Gaming GeForce 970 GTX

Several SSDs/HDDs

The Ryzen build is since the 23rd, but game worked until the 24th. No Windows reinstall made, but manually removed drivers/programs related to the previous CPU/MB and Windows 10 works well in that aspect. Did a full install of the new drivers/software package. Game worked originally. No issues with any other game whatsoever or signs of system instability.

I have tried:

- Disabling DX12 manually in the profile (before any of the other options)
- Deleting my Battlefield V profiles in the My Documents section

- Deleted Origin cache

- Disabled Origin overlay

- Tried some compatibility settings some people suggested

- Did a clean Origin install

- Rolling back to older GPU drivers
- DDU uninstalling and regular clean driver installs of said drivers.
- Checked updates for just about any driver I can think of
- Tried installing onto a different drive
- Tried game repair
- Disabled Origin in-game overlay

- Tried a clean boot, made no difference

I'm a bit at a loss here and a format/clean windows install is not an option to try right now due to having work-related things on this machine which are not easily backed-up.

Message 1 of 6 (527 Views)

Accepted Solution

Hero (Retired)

Hey @Sneakiest-89

I read that you haven't tried a Clean install of Windows, but are you running the current Version of Windows? It should be Version 1809 I believe.

Also, have you tried creating a new temporary Windows User Account, and launching the Game under that Account?

Let us know if this helps.

Thanks Standard smile 

View in thread

Message 4 of 6 (487 Views)

All Replies

@Sneakiest-89 wrote:

Hey,

On launch, the game simply opens a window and won't load anything - memory usage goes to around 900-950 MB and stays there. Black screen, no spinning wheels, nothing indicating function. 

Game worked just fine until last night.

System specs:
Ryzen 2700X at default clocks

2x8 GB DDR4 3000 (Ryzen are picky about RAM, working at 2800 stable, no issues with anything else)

MSI Gaming GeForce 970 GTX

Several SSDs/HDDs

The Ryzen build is since the 23rd, but game worked until the 24th. No Windows reinstall made, but manually removed drivers/programs related to the previous CPU/MB and Windows 10 works well in that aspect. Did a full install of the new drivers/software package. Game worked originally. No issues with any other game whatsoever or signs of system instability.

I have tried:

- Disabling DX12 manually in the profile (before any of the other options)
- Deleting my Battlefield V profiles in the My Documents section

- Deleted Origin cache

- Disabled Origin overlay

- Tried some compatibility settings some people suggested

- Did a clean Origin install

- Rolling back to older GPU drivers
- DDU uninstalling and regular clean driver installs of said drivers.
- Checked updates for just about any driver I can think of
- Tried installing onto a different drive
- Tried game repair
- Disabled Origin in-game overlay

- Tried a clean boot, made no difference

I'm a bit at a loss here and a format/clean windows install is not an option to try right now due to having work-related things on this machine which are not easily backed-up.

@Sneakiest-89  you've done the normal troubleshooting steps so lets move onto other issues. Are you using any third party overlays like MSI Afterburner, Discord's overlay, etc?

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Please mark a thread as solved if a post solves your issue.

EA Answers HQ Volunteer Forum Moderator

BF3, BF4, BF1, BFV DICE Friend tag awardee

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Twitter: Ragnarok013
Message 2 of 6 (513 Views)

★★★ Novice

I'm using both MSI Afterburner and Discord - with both off the same issue persists and I'm not finding anything else that could functiton as an overlay.

Message 3 of 6 (510 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Hey @Sneakiest-89

I read that you haven't tried a Clean install of Windows, but are you running the current Version of Windows? It should be Version 1809 I believe.

Also, have you tried creating a new temporary Windows User Account, and launching the Game under that Account?

Let us know if this helps.

Thanks Standard smile 

@Sneakiest-89 wrote:

I'm using both MSI Afterburner and Discord - with both off the same issue persists and I'm not finding anything else that could functiton as an overlay.

Thanks @Sneakiest-89  next I recommending trying  a clean boot to rule out any other background programs interfering with BF5.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Please mark a thread as solved if a post solves your issue.

EA Answers HQ Volunteer Forum Moderator

BF3, BF4, BF1, BFV DICE Friend tag awardee

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Twitter: Ragnarok013
Message 5 of 6 (471 Views)

★★★ Novice

Solved it -- clean boot I had already tried, but either I missed some services (I'm pretty sure I disabled anything but MS services) but tthe user switch worked, which led me on a process hunt to figure out what was causing the issue.

Turns out, for some reason, Logitech's latest Gaming Hub was causing the issue. Uninstalled it and game is working properly. Thanks for the help!

Message 6 of 6 (455 Views)