Re: Game randomly freezes for up to a second

by groundedjet

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I've tried ISLC and it didn't (completely) resolve the problem. I'm now running the game with DXR turned off and ISLC turned on, and this seems to at least limit how often the problem occurs, to the point that I have now played a few rounds for the first time where the game did not freeze at all.

All of this shouldn't be required to run the game properly though. I have 16GB of RAM and a RTX 2070 which matches/exceeds the minimum specs for DXR as listed on the EA website. So it's weird that I still can't run DXR smoothly, and that I need to use some hack to get the game to maybe run smoothly some of the time.

Message 21 of 48 (942 Views)

★ Guide

I am still getting stutter or freeze on 02/27/2019 with the 419.17 Nvidia driver.

@arizakaa:

I don't think there is a problem with your PC. BFV is at fault. I play my other non-DXR games fine. Test DXR with another game like Metro Exodus to see if you get problems too to rule out faulty video card. May be you can test DXR 3DMark Port Royal on a loop. You deserve a plug and play BFV experience.

Message 22 of 48 (934 Views)

★ Guide

Stutters still occur with BFV March 5TH update and 419.35 Nvidia driver.

Message 23 of 48 (893 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Are all of you all using Windows 10? If so, I've had this issue before with battlefield 1 among other games and it boiled down to some RAM memory leak bug that's been with Windows 10 for the longest time.

For some reason Microsoft has yet  to actually fix it so those who game on Win 10 have had to put up a scripted manual fix. It's the instructions regarding emptystandbylist

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1004600/geforce-drivers/all-games-stuttering-with-fps-drops...

Message 24 of 48 (882 Views)

★ Apprentice

@F33bz That's basically what ISLC does, except ISLC keeps track of available RAM and the size of the standby list to purge exactly when needed.

Since I've started using ISLC I've not encountered a single freeze anymore, so I guess it has solved the problem. I have not tested with DXR enabled yet, I will when I have time and post here once I've done so.

Message 25 of 48 (867 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I've tested with DXR enabled again, and there are still stutters, but less of them than originally. This is with the latest NVidia drivers as of writing. It seems like some of the stutters/freezes where caused by memory mismanagement by windows 10, but some of them are probably caused by turning on DXR. Either that or the DXR implementation is sensitive to this windows 10 bug in a way that cannot be worked around using ISLC.

For those interested, I'm using ISLC set to purge when free memory is less than 4GB and the stanby list is at least than 1GB. With DXR disabled this seems to resolve the freezing/stuttering problem.

Thanks to @Lokotron73 and @F33bz for their suggestions, and hopefully someone from EA (@EA_Blueberry?) has some idea on how to solve DXR-related stutters.

Message 26 of 48 (843 Views)

Community Manager

@arizakaa 

This might sound out of left field but have you checked to see if your USB drivers are fully updated? I saw a player mention this fixing stuttering for Apex Legends with the latest Nvidia drivers.

Blueberry.png
Message 27 of 48 (830 Views)
Highlighted

★ Guide

Todays 4/4/2019 update fixed the crashing to desktop with DLSS, but 1 second stutters still occur with DXR. It seems to happen more than once early in the match. I meet PC requirements. 

Message 28 of 48 (790 Views)

Hello @arizakaa
This issue i fixed with todays Update, hope you will play without any issues. Standard smile

- Did you find my post useful? -> Please grant + XP
- Did my post solve your issue/answer your question.? -> Please accept as solution
- DICE FRIEND - WindowsManTv_CZE || Twitter: WindowManTv
_______________________ EA AHQ_______________________

- Is my answer helpful.? -> Please grant + XP
- If my post solved your problem or answered your question. -> Please Accept as Solution.
- BF1 & BFV DICE FRIEND - WindowsManTv_CZE || Twitter: WindowsManTv

CCP Hero Banner 1 Grande.png

Message 29 of 48 (782 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@EA_Blueberry 

When the stutter happens the frame rate and GPU usage fall to low numbers.

Message 30 of 48 (772 Views)