Re: Game not Launching

by starzandstripes

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Game not Launching

★ Apprentice

Game not launching yet again and again and again

I go to log on and push play, the game does nothing and does not log on.  I have tried several suggested fixes and they have worked previously but now nothing works.  This has been and continues to be an issue for 4 years as searches have produced thread after thread with the same issue.   I have done everything suggested in all these posts and nothing has worked.  I am getting beyond frustrated as this continues to happen to people who want to play the game.  I will add  the fixes that previously worked that are no longer working now. (See Blow) I also added my dxdiag file.

Non-Streaming launcher - Log into the launcher but don't click Play. Check for small letters "ST" in the bottom left corner. If this is NOT present, click the cog icon and then run the repair option.

Streaming launcher - If the letters "ST" is present, close the launcher, right mouse click on the game shortcut, select open file location and delete the BitRaider folder. Then start the launcher

If a repair doesn't help then edit the client_settings file in notepad

•Press the [Windows] Key + [R] at the same time.
•Copy the following in to the text box and press ok: %localappdata%\swtor\swtor\settings
•Open the client_settings.ini file and ensure the following are displayed within, or edit/add if so required:

Fullscreen = false
D3DFullScreen = false
RefreshRate = 60
Check NativeHeight, NativeWidth, Height and Width ( all 4 ) match your monitor resolution.

•Save and close the file.
•Start the game as normal.
•Change graphic settings within the game as desired.

If that doesn't help go to a clean boot - http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/929135 if that works re-enable one thing at a time to find the conflict ( If using the Streaming Launcher (Bitraider) you will need to leave the Bitraider Stub Service running on the clean boot or the launcher will stop at 100% and not allow play to be pressed ).

And of course remove and re-add both launcher.exe and swtor.exe to the AV and Firewall exception lists sometimes after a patch the exceptions fail due to the file change.
So be sure the AV hasn't also quarantined swtor.exe

Message 1 of 7 (677 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Once again thanks for the responses.  I did find a solution to my issue.  I did it in steps and then launched the game once they were all complete.  Hopefully this will help others.  I also aborted the non bitRaider option, after remembering how long the main assets took to download, I just didn't have the patience for that route.  Below is what I did.  I would suggest you check after each step as you may not need all these things.

1.  Make sure you do the basics.  Update video card drivers, check for virus/firewall access, fresh reboot ect.

2.  Reinstall the game over your current game.  (make sure you use the latest version and backup anything important as a precaution)

3.  Go into the client_settings.ini file and add Fullscreen = false
4.  Do a clean reboot

5.  This last step worked which is weird but I also reset windows explorer.

This was the order I did things in and got it to finally work. I tried most of these alone at some point.   I guess sometimes you just have to keep it at to make things work.

View in thread

Message 7 of 7 (607 Views)

All Replies

@starzandstripes

355.98 is a good driver , have you tried the launcher repair utility here ?

The diag is listing all 3 exe files , launcher.exe , swtor.exe and brwc.exe as crashing

Just to confirm though there is noting set to inject a ingame overlay like mumble etc this will also cause a crash on launch.

sorry 1 am here so bed time for me now

SWTOR Forum Username = OwenBrooks
Australian (Fellow SWTOR Player) volunteer moderator. I do not work for EA.
Photo of my New Speeder 
More information about: Becoming a Champion 
SWTOR FAN Community Website Click Here

Message 2 of 7 (673 Views)

★ Guide

@proxos666 the "launcher repair utility" behaves just like a normal launcher setup file. Is that all it is, or is it in any way different?

Message 3 of 7 (656 Views)

★ Apprentice

First off thanks to both of you for taking the time to respond.  I did try the launcher repair utility previously hoping that solve the issue and it did not.  I had the same exact sequence once I launched it after running the repair utility.  I am currently down to one of my last things I can think of, but didt want to do. I went into the settings and launcher settings file and listed the bitraider as false. I know/knew when I did that I would get a huge download.   My hope is that the bitraider itself is the issue since nothing else seems to work.  I will try to bypass it and see what happens.  I will report whatever happens as I truly don't want anyone else to experience what I have. 

Thanks for the responses again and please continue to post any potential solutions.  I have tried many things, but hopefully something or some sort of combination will work.

Message 4 of 7 (646 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide
Deleting the BitRaider folder forces the launcher to verify all game files. Have you tries this? It only works with the streaming launcher though.

Make sure you backup your game each time you switch from BR to SSN and vice versa
Message 5 of 7 (643 Views)

★ Apprentice

Yes I did try deleting the bitRaider folder, several times actually using different combinations to see if it would work that way.

Message 6 of 7 (633 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Once again thanks for the responses.  I did find a solution to my issue.  I did it in steps and then launched the game once they were all complete.  Hopefully this will help others.  I also aborted the non bitRaider option, after remembering how long the main assets took to download, I just didn't have the patience for that route.  Below is what I did.  I would suggest you check after each step as you may not need all these things.

1.  Make sure you do the basics.  Update video card drivers, check for virus/firewall access, fresh reboot ect.

2.  Reinstall the game over your current game.  (make sure you use the latest version and backup anything important as a precaution)

3.  Go into the client_settings.ini file and add Fullscreen = false
4.  Do a clean reboot

5.  This last step worked which is weird but I also reset windows explorer.

This was the order I did things in and got it to finally work. I tried most of these alone at some point.   I guess sometimes you just have to keep it at to make things work.

Message 7 of 7 (608 Views)