Game crashes entire computer, what should I do?

by Nano1778I

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Game crashes entire computer, what should I do?

★ Novice

So for a few months now, every once and a while BF1 would crash my entire computer. This wasn't that big of a deal but now it does it every single time I play, about 30min or so into the game. I have already contacted support, they told me to clean boot and then if that doesn't work, reinstall the game. I first clean booted that actually worked, and when I clean booted I made sure that only a few programs that I really wanted to start up with the PC would start up. But once I restarted the PC the game started crashing again. Then I reinstalled the game and that did absolutely nothing. So what should I do? I couldn't think of a startup program I have enabled that would make this happen. Maybe it has something to do with origin?

Message 1 of 8 (1,883 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Game crashes entire computer, what should I do?

@Nano1778I wrote:

I doubt that's barebones for BF1 because I rarely get any fps problems and I am by far not on the lowest settings. That's not the issue.

To answer your questions I am on Windows 8 running DirectX 11

No it's the minimum specs for BF1 for RAM and CPU as shown here @Nano1778I https://www.battlefield.com/games/battlefield-1/tech   In fact most people who experience issues here on AHQ in BF1 and BF5 have only 8GB of RAM as both games can easily use 10GB in game on systems with more RAM. Both games are also extremely CPU intensive so having both RAM and CPU at the minimum isn't the best for performance and frequently causes issues.That being said I believe your issue actually lies elsewhere.

MINIMUM SPECS
  • Processor (AMD): AMD FX-6350
  • Processor (Intel): Core i5 6600K
  • Memory: 8GB RAM
  • Graphics card (AMD): AMD Radeon™ HD 7850 2GB
  • Graphics card (NVIDIA): nVidia GeForce® GTX 660 2GB
  • DirectX: 11.0 Compatible video card or equivalent
  • Online Connection Requirements: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection
  • Hard-drive space: 50GB
RECOMMENDED SPECS
  • Processor (AMD): AMD FX 8350 Wraith
  • Processor (Intel): Intel Core i7 4790 or equivalent
  • Memory: 16GB RAM
  • Graphics card (AMD): AMD Radeon™ RX 480 4GB
  • Graphics card (NVIDIA): NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1060 3GB
  • DirectX: 11.1 Compatible video card or equivalent
  • Available Disk Space: 50GB

Since doing a clean boot solved the issue for you until you rebooted that tells me that there's a third party program causing the crash. Are you using any overlays such as Origin in game, the Discord in game overlay, MSI Afterburner, Razer cortex etc? If so disable them and try to play again.  If that doesn't solve the issue I recommend to clean boot and slowly re-enable each program until you find the program causing the crashing issue.

Also for good measure I'd also scan your windows installation for integrity violations as described here:  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/system-file-check-sfc-scan-and-r...

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Please mark a thread as solved if a post solves your issue.

EA Answers HQ Volunteer Forum Moderator

BF3, BF4, BF1, BFV DICE Friend tag awardee

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Twitter: Ragnarok013

View in thread

Message 8 of 8 (1,767 Views)

All Replies

@Nano1778I wrote:

So for a few months now, every once and a while BF1 would crash my entire computer. This wasn't that big of a deal but now it does it every single time I play, about 30min or so into the game. I have already contacted support, they told me to clean boot and then if that doesn't work, reinstall the game. I first clean booted that actually worked, and when I clean booted I made sure that only a few programs that I really wanted to start up with the PC would start up. But once I restarted the PC the game started crashing again. Then I reinstalled the game and that did absolutely nothing. So what should I do? I couldn't think of a startup program I have enabled that would make this happen. Maybe it has something to do with origin?

What are your PC Specs, OS, and version of DirectX that you are running while playing BF1?

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Message 2 of 8 (1,867 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

PC Specs:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K

CPU @ 3.50GHz

Manufacturer Intel

Speed 3.9 GHz

Number of Cores 4

CPU ID BFEBFBFF000506E3

Family 06

Model 5E

Stepping 3

DirectX Version: 11.0

Message 3 of 8 (1,848 Views)

@Nano1778I wrote:

PC Specs:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K

CPU @ 3.50GHz

Manufacturer Intel

Speed 3.9 GHz

Number of Cores 4

CPU ID BFEBFBFF000506E3

Family 06

Model 5E

Stepping 3

DirectX Version: 11.0

@Nano1778I  what GPU are you running and how much system RAM does your PC have?

Message 4 of 8 (1,823 Views)

★ Novice

GTX 960 4GB and 8 GB of DDR4 Ram

Message 5 of 8 (1,799 Views)

@Nano1778I wrote:

GTX 960 4GB and 8 GB of DDR4 Ram

Your CPU and RAM are at the barebones minimum to run BF1, are you on Win 7, 8.1, or 10? If on Win10 are you using DX11 or DX12?

Message 6 of 8 (1,792 Views)

★ Novice

I doubt that's barebones for BF1 because I rarely get any fps problems and I am by far not on the lowest settings. That's not the issue.

Message 7 of 8 (1,778 Views)

@Nano1778I wrote:

No it's the minimum specs for BF1 for RAM and CPU as shown here @Nano1778I https://www.battlefield.com/games/battlefield-1/tech   In fact most people who experience issues here on AHQ in BF1 and BF5 have only 8GB of RAM as both games can easily use 10GB in game on systems with more RAM. Both games are also extremely CPU intensive so having both RAM and CPU at the minimum isn't the best for performance and frequently causes issues.That being said I believe your issue actually lies elsewhere.

MINIMUM SPECS
  • Processor (AMD): AMD FX-6350
  • Processor (Intel): Core i5 6600K
  • Memory: 8GB RAM
  • Graphics card (AMD): AMD Radeon™ HD 7850 2GB
  • Graphics card (NVIDIA): nVidia GeForce® GTX 660 2GB
  • DirectX: 11.0 Compatible video card or equivalent
  • Hard-drive space: 50GB
RECOMMENDED SPECS
  • Processor (AMD): AMD FX 8350 Wraith
  • Processor (Intel): Intel Core i7 4790 or equivalent
  • Memory: 16GB RAM
  • Graphics card (AMD): AMD Radeon™ RX 480 4GB
  • Graphics card (NVIDIA): NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1060 3GB
  • DirectX: 11.1 Compatible video card or equivalent
  • Available Disk Space: 50GB

Since doing a clean boot solved the issue for you until you rebooted that tells me that there's a third party program causing the crash. Are you using any overlays such as Origin in game, the Discord in game overlay, MSI Afterburner, Razer cortex etc? If so disable them and try to play again.  If that doesn't solve the issue I recommend to clean boot and slowly re-enable each program until you find the program causing the crashing issue.

Also for good measure I'd also scan your windows installation for integrity violations as described here:  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/system-file-check-sfc-scan-and-r...

Message 8 of 8 (1,768 Views)