Original Post

Game crashes almost immediately on startup

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

EVGA ACX 3.0 FTW1050ti (4gb)

AMD FX-8350 8 (4 hyperthreaded cores) cores @ 4.2ghz

8gb DDR3 RAM

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1

I'll launch the game either from Origin or the .exe, doesn't matter, and a window with a black screen will pop up for 1-3 seconds then close, bringing me back to Origin.

I've tried reinstalling Origin (4 times), reinstalling the game (twice), repairing the game (who knows how many times). I've set launch options to -novid -noborder -windowed. I've created the user.cfg file (correctly) for the CPU fix and when that didn't work I used a .dll injector to try and do the same thing. Still no luck. I'd try editing the settings folder in My Documents, but there is no settings folder there (again, I'm looking in the correct place). I've tried deleting the game's folder in My Documents and letting the repair function restore it; no luck. My windows is up to date with all relevant updates, even those specifically linked in similar threads, so that's not the issue, either.

I'd attach a CrashDump .mdmp, located in My Documents / SWBFII / CrashDump, but apparently that's an unsupported extension type.

Message 1 of 122 (6,977 Views)

Re: Game crashes almost immediately on startup

★★★ Newbie

I have exactly the same probleme... pls help!!! 

Message 2 of 122 (6,909 Views)

★★★ Novice

I have also had this problem, at least i think so, are you getting the title screen? and then it freezes goes to a black and white screen and crashes?

Message 3 of 122 (6,852 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Nope, the client won't even load. After clicking "Play," a SWBFII window will open for 1-3 seconds then almost immediately close with no error message. The window itself is just black with no sound and is not full-screen.

Message 4 of 122 (6,847 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Try a clean boot - if that allows the game to launch, then it may be AV/Firewall software not allowing the game to start, and maybe also port forwarding needs done.

*From the AV/Firewall software -  remove the game, reboot and re-add the game/origin to whitelist.

See additional instructions in these posts from @EA_David

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/ERROR-770-Battlefront-2/m-p/6417912#M361

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Forcing-Restart-of-PC/m-p/6419593#M395

*Any time you do an uninstall and reinstall, reboot after the uninstall, before you start reinstall. Also, make sure to;

Move the "STAR WARS Battlefront II" folder from "C:\Users\UserName\Documents\STAR WARS Battlefront II", to the desktop. 

The uninstall doesn't remove it (This will reset your in-game settings also, fyi).

You can also if it's not working, Move the "STAR WARS Battlefront II" folder from "C:\Users\UserName\Documents\STAR WARS Battlefront II", to the desktop. then reboot, then run the game repair tool.

To run as admin forever and not right click it each time;

C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin\Origin.exe right click, properties, compatibility tab, run as admin (select box at bottom)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\STAR WARS Battlefront II\starwarsbattlefrontii.exe   right click, properties, compatibility tab, run as admin (select box at bottom)

*Connection, Port Forwarding and Additional Troubleshooting Tipshttps://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/connection-troubleshooting-basic/

Message 5 of 122 (6,843 Views)

★ Guide

I've already done all of this, too. I also did all of this back in beta.

Did a clean boot. Reformatted my hard drive. No dice.

I've done what you recommended with the SWBFII folder in \Documents\. No dice.

Origin and SWBFII are whitelisted in my firewalls and AV. Running the game with both of those flat-out disabled doesn't work, either.

Message 6 of 122 (6,830 Views)

★★ Guide

I would open chat support then, and link this page to them and tell them you did all this already.

When you did the reinstall, was the reinstall from the trial version? If so, it is missing files and they suggest redownload from the actual preload/download now.

I added a couple things to the post above.

Here is the link to chat support; https://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/?product=star-wars-battlefront-ii

Somebody else that had this problem did steps in a specific order and was able to get the game to work, and hadn't been able to previously, the post is linked below,

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/The-game-will-freeze-and-crash/m-p/6422497#M558

Message 7 of 122 (6,818 Views)

★★ Guide

@Dreambluezzz Oh and one thing to try first haha - switch off DX12, to other version

Message 8 of 122 (6,817 Views)

★ Guide

To switch off DX12, if I can't get in the game and have never been in the game, I know I need to access \Documents\SWBFII\settings and alter a value in two different files here. The problem is, I don't have a \settings\ folder in that directory, just the three other folders (CrashDumps, RimeTemp, and Screenshots).

Ideally, to see if that works, I'd need to download someone else's SWBFII settings files. The problem is, the only place I've been able to find where someone uploaded their settings has since removed the files.

Big thanks for helping out @c2a2f2b7f1ca3466, even if this problem wants to stubbornly persist <3

Message 9 of 122 (6,797 Views)

★★ Guide

Maybe message this person in forums, sounds like a similar system - and they did the disable dx12.

https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/77627/direct-feedback

And/Or when you get on with support chat tell them send me the settings files or else :P

Also... Here is a step support had me do, but I didn't see much change though. Instructions may vary a little - this was for windows 7x64

Another fix attempt:

1.Completely log out and close down Origin
2.Hold down the Windows key and R
3.Type in "%ProgramData%" (without quotes) and click OK
4.Now open the Origin folder.
5.Delete all the files and folders in the Origin folder, except for LocalContent (do not delete this one)
6.Hold down the Windows key and R
7.Type in "%AppData%" (without quotes) and click OK
8.This will take you to a Roaming folder, which is located inside of AppData. Delete the Origin folder
9.Click on the word "AppData" at the top of your window
10.Open the Local folder here
11.Delete the Origin folder listed here
12.Restart your PC and log back into Origin

Message 10 of 122 (6,773 Views)