Re: Game Crashes and Totally Locks up PC

by BolekParolek

Original Post

Game Crashes and Totally Locks up PC

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Hello,

I recently bought NFS Heat as I was excited to find my way back into the NFS franchise as this game looked amazing. After installing it, I discovered that the game will consistently crash after 20-30 minutes of playing it and I haven't been able to play it any longer than that. When the game crashes, however, it also locks my computer up totally forcing me to have to do a total hard shutdown/hard restart. I've played around with some other "fixes" I've seen floating around, such as forcing the FPS to be limited at 30 FPS, running the game .ex as administrator, and even tinkering with the graphics settings. I finally ended up just uninstalling and reinstalling the game. Nothing has been successful.

I also would like to note that this is the only game I have encountered this issue with on this PC and I have been spending countless hours on Skyrim (118 hours), R6 Siege (120 hours), and American Truck Sim/Euro Truck Sim 2 (111 hours/138 hours) and lesser hours on a handful of other games which leads me to believe that the problem is revolving around NFS Heat itself and not my PC.

I am hoping that there is a way to fix this, as I don't want to have wasted $60+ on the game just to only be able to play it 20-30 minutes at the time and end up wrecking my PC from the constant power cycling that is needed just to play the game.

I would appreciate any sort of advice or help, thank you!

Message 1 of 5 (426 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@Mister_Freakout tbh I think it is a general issue going on with the game that causes some setups to crash. There is a lot of people having issues also on consoles.

However I took a quick look at your dxdiag and I saw the IGPU seems to be doing some weird things on your computer. Could you try disabling the igpu entirely in your bios? You want to use your nvidia card at all times so disabling the igpu is just one less driver for windows to load.

You also seem to have some audio issues. Check if there are any new drivers for your audio devices. I also noticed you have 4 audio devices listed. If you do not use all of them you should disable the ones you do not use.

And if you can, could you please play in origin offline mode for one session. I just want to see if all the online issues affects the game stability.

Message 2 of 5 (397 Views)

★★★ Novice

Bumping this again because I see that multiple people are having this issue and it seems like the number is rising while EA still hasn't released any information, apologies, or anything on the issue. Honestly, quite disappointing that a company like this would choose poor transparency over reaffirming publicly that they may have screwed up and are actively rooting to problem out. In my opinion, this is a terrible business practice and is quite infuriating. This is the first NFS game I have bought in YEARS because after seeing gameplay and playing friends' copies of the majority of the more modernized games, I wasn't impressed. Having this issue happen to me like it is definitely has left a sour taste in my mouth and has definitely made me reconsider ever buying another NFS game full priced and not on sale. With the amount of $$$ I have spent to get this game, I could have bought 3-6 fully WORKING games on my Steam wishlist, Star Wars, or The Crew 2 (although, I've never liked the crew but at least I KNOW it would run flawlessly for me).

@TheLocalTroll The audios have since been disabled nonetheless, as I enable them and disable them as I need them generally. They shouldn't have anything to do with how the game handles for the most part anyways, as if I can play every other game on my PC without even touching them. My IGPU never has messed with anything before and I'd rather not fiddle with my BIOS settings just for one game, as I don't want to risk messing something up with my inexperience. When I played in Origin offline mode, the issue still persisted. Thank you for your advice and help, though!

Message 3 of 5 (364 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@Mister_Freakout 

You mention every other game works and that is usually the case. Most games wont crash for you but there are always that one game. Im sure if you google issues for the other games you have you will see plenty of users having issues with crashing even tho you dont. basically each game is programmed differently and behaves differently from system to system. In this game you are the unlucky one while I for example haven't had one single issue.

I'm think EA will refund you when you are not able to play the game even if the refund period should be over. 

Audio issues is often an issues for a game to crash hence why i suggested you both update all drivers and disable the ones you do not use. I have multiple audio devices myself and in some games I have had to unplug some of them previously.

Also since you are playing on a desktop computer you will not use the igpu ever (unless you for some reason prefer to use the inferior gpu). turning it off will be beneficial regardless of this game. Less drivers to load and less components that may or may not interfere with your daily use and your dxdiag do indicate that something with your intel gpu is crashing. If it solves the crash with this game is unknown but having a component causing random crashes in windows is good to disable regardless as long as you do not need it.

I'm not going to convince you to do whatever I suggests. Just trying to help out a flellow gamer

Its all up to you and you may just as well wait for the next patch and/or nvidia driver and see if that fixes things. Usually things are patched eventually. 

Message 4 of 5 (353 Views)

★ Apprentice
Message 5 of 5 (318 Views)