Game Connectivity is like the Mozambique - Almost Exculsively Trash

by Oddisaurus

Original Post

Game Connectivity is like the Mozambique - Almost Exculsively Trash

★★ Apprentice

Honestly I can connect to a live streaming webcam of a penguin colony in Antarctica and get a solid 60fps streaming rate better than I can connect to the servers for Apex Legends!

Or even better yet, I can probably find a better quality of game in five minutes on Anthem compared to Apex Legends at the moment.

In this game I am constantly met with issues that occur due to lagging, rubber-banding and general issues from connecting to Respawn/ EA's servers.

At this point I have lost count of the number of times I've been downed and killed by enemies who were there, suddenly froze and were then someplace else a split second later.

I expect stuff like this to happen with any kind of semi-streamed software, and yeah sometimes in games it happens, that's okay... but every single game on every single server?

No! It's just absurd.

No matter when I play this game I am always seeing at least one of those red connection indicators in the top right-hand corner of my hud.

Latency, Packet Loss, Prediction Errors and Congestion? If these are constant issues for players then why on earth hasn't something been done about it yet?

EVEN THE MAIN MENU HAS THIS PROBLEM!

I understand having a server of 60 players from possibly all over the world can cause some connection variables to occur and effect the game slighty, but not in a menu. 

When the game isn't even doing anything I can just sit there in the main menu as the only member in my party and watch how my legend of choice flickers through various poses around the screen.

And when selecting that I'm ready for matchmaking?.. Guess what, the game tells me the party isn't ready yet. Even when I am the only player in the party.

I pressed ready... That means I'm ready. Why are you telling me otherwise?

Granted there are a lot of people who blame lag for when things go wrong in games, but my troubles with connectivity are grounded in the fact that the state in which I am connected to the game is not parallel to the connection I know I have.

Too keep it simple...

On average, even at peak times, my connection rate runs at around 72-75mbps (9-ish MBps) with an upload rate of 20mbps and a general ping average of 22-30, regardless of how far away in the country the server hubs I'm connected to are.

With this amount of broadband I don't tend to get lag on any game I'm playing, but in Apex Legends?.. It's like I'm back on the ISP I had years ago who was only giving me less than a 1/16th of what I have now.

I used to have a 5 megabit per second average ISP connection and whilst using that I could play stuff like Battlefield with 64 players in a Russian regional server from the UK and still never get one issue with latency.

So can someone at Respawn or EA actually define what is going on here?

(Though I hardly expect to get any help from EA as they never respond to any issue I've posted here over the years.)

Or is there some other hidden "surprise mechanic" bs I don't know about yet where I need to be paying EA an extra $100 a day just to get on the game?

Because this shouldn't be happening on a constant basis.

Ever since the beginning of season 2 this issue has been occurring, so clearly the fault lies with the game and it's servers. So why hasn't it been addressed or fixed yet?

Message 1 of 2 (162 Views)

Re: Game Connectivity is like the Mozambique - Almost Exculsively Trash

Community Manager

@Oddisaurus wrote:

In this game I am constantly met with issues that occur due to lagging, rubber-banding and general issues from connecting to Respawn/ EA's servers.

At this point I have lost count of the number of times I've been downed and killed by enemies who were there, suddenly froze and were then someplace else a split second later.

Do you happen to have Killer Control Center/Network Adapter? Check out this post.

Would you mind submitting a UO Trace to us by attaching it to this post? You can download the free program from our troubleshooting article. It will show us what path your connection is taking to our servers.

The team is committed to improving server quality and we'll do what we can to minimize the lag/rubberbanding you experiencing in game. I know that stuff is hard to play with.

Basic Connection Troubleshooting

https://help.ea.com/en/help/faq/connection-troubleshooting-basic/

Blueberry.png
Message 2 of 2 (129 Views)