Re: GPU workload drops to ~40% every 3 seconds

by McAlllu

Original Post

Accepted Solution

GPU workload drops to ~40% every 3 seconds

★★★ Novice

Hello

I'm having issues with the game's performance. Everything works well on training, solid 130-144 FPS. Only FPS drop's are triggered properly when generating new info on the screen. 

But once i enter multiplayer the frames start droppign at 3 second intervals. 100 FPS drops down to 30FPS every 3 seconds wich makes the game unplayeable.

I have a NVDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti card ( Lenovo Legion Y520 laptop) .

I've tried messin around in the NVDIA control panel nothing works in there, downgrading my drivers 3 times - no luck. Overclocking a bit, made no diffrence aswell. When monitoring the stats whilst game is running on MSI afterburner it shows that the GPU keeps "hoppin" around from 100/99% workload to 20-30% which should be the cause of the frame drops aswell. 

Screenshot_7.jpg

This is the GPU usage, im not really a scientist but i've seen the GPU run a solid straight line on other games. 

Anyone else experiencing this ?

Kind Regards, 

Message 1 of 5 (271 Views)

Accepted Solution

★ Guide
It is quite clearly overheating and throttling mate. Kings Canyon is far more intensive than training. Make sure you have ample ventilation where the laptop breaths and check your power options in Windows.

View in thread

Message 3 of 5 (259 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Novice

Did another session.

This time screenshotted all the "data"

Screenshot_1.jpg

Message 2 of 5 (262 Views)

★ Guide
It is quite clearly overheating and throttling mate. Kings Canyon is far more intensive than training. Make sure you have ample ventilation where the laptop breaths and check your power options in Windows.
Message 3 of 5 (260 Views)

★★★ Novice

Yes 

I've figured it out just a moment ago.

Capped the FPS VIA config to 100.  GPU was able to keep a steady rythm. Few spikes but nothing out of the unordinary. 

Message 4 of 5 (253 Views)

★ Guide
Thankfully it only takes a tiny spike to lower the temperature dramatically, if its still not satisfactory you could always go a little lower. Another option might be to either undevolt a bit or put on a negative power limit there is a chance that it runs cooler actually gives it more thermal headroom to give you more fps. This is common for hardware that is on its thermal limit vega cards are a prime example.
Message 5 of 5 (237 Views)