GPU VRAM analysis: "Insane" is limited to 4GB - not optimized

by raDies_chen_PBG

Original Post

GPU VRAM analysis: "Insane" is limited to 4GB - not optimized

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hello,

What I analyzed:

1. Apex on INSANE Texture streaming budget is limited to 4GB, (but I have Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super 8GB)

While you play it hits this limit.

In VideoConfig this is equal to : "setting.stream_memory" "3000000"

2. As for gameplay, most Videosettings even give worse Quality, such as :

- Ambient Light (sun reflects higher so you dont see anything)

- Shadow Quality: consumes 4 GB more memory if set to very high! -> Please remove this option from game as you dont differentiate quality difference, anyway

- or Model Quality ( more trees and gras is worse for identifying enemies)

so you should disable or turn to low.

3. Increasing to e.g. "setting.stream_memory" "5500000" is a good value for my settings and hitting limit around 7,0 GB

4. Most settings need restart, so VRAM consumptions take action ( except for Shadow Quality)

-> I strongly recommend, developers should remove these stupid unuseful Video Quality settings ( some metioned above)

and calculate INSANE memory consumption of Texture Streaming budget to be e.g. ~ 8 GB or more,

taking into consideration sum of ALL Video Setting Vram consumptions.

I guess they limit to 4GB, because Apex is too lazy to calculate other Video Settings Vram consumptions.

Message 1 of 5 (6,102 Views)

Re: Texture Streaming Budget is not using GPU vram

★ Pro
@raDies_chen_PBG Thanks for posting.. Ran a few tests myself and what u say is true.. It's spot shadow detail that causes huge vram usage increase when it is set to high

When i loaded training mode on low settings, changing spot shadow detail to high barely increased my vram usage but changing the video setting from the main menu (without being in game) instantly changed vram from about 2.5gb to 3.2 or higher.. I also noticed when setting all settings high from the main menu my vram usage when up to max 3.9gb (i have 1050ti 4gb) and the whole menu starting lagging extremely

I guess if u want to increase vram usage u have to reload the game from the main menu or restart the game like u said

Also noticed the vram will increase in usage as u explore area's in the map where u havent been before and it will never drop back down unless u get out of the game. So if u want maximum vram usage u obviously have to go to places in the map where the textures havent been loaded standing in one place will have ur vram usage stay stable
Message 2 of 5 (6,075 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks for verification.

I also did tests, with Kings Canyon and new Season 3 map.

it starts at 3,8 GB when jump and climps up to a limit of 4,9 in both maps.

For me, when I quick match, it goes down to arround 3,8 again, so map Vram is cleared.

With my 8 GB VRAM GPU, this setting is very misleading and not explained properly anywhere in the internet.

@EA, is it expected that my VRAM is lazy and only half is used?

Message 3 of 5 (6,037 Views)

★ Pro
@raDies_chen_PBG Might be to secure playing games at higher resolution.. Found this on the web:
@720P: 2GB of VRAM
@1080P: 2GB-6GB of VRAM
@1440P: 4-8GB of VRAM
@4K: 8GB+ VRAM

source:https://techguided.com/how-much-vram-do-i-need/

In this video i found is a benchmark a dude made on 4k and almost 7.5gb of vram used with a 2080 rtx card:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkxKnTGm6tM

Anyway thanks for posting
Message 4 of 5 (6,017 Views)

★★ Novice

I think developer should calculate VRAM using max 3 GB instead of available 2GB-6GB is just stupid on my 1080p solution

Message 5 of 5 (5,930 Views)