Frame Pacing Issues on PC

by CletusVanDammeAu

Original Post

Re: Frame Pacing Issues on PC

★ Apprentice

@EA_Barry

I can give this a try when I get home- but isn’t this at cross purposes to what I’m trying to achieve? I have a 120hz monitor and get 100-120fps normally. Setting my monitor to 60hz refresh is just going to lock my FPS to 60 as well isn’t it? To reiterate, I have no issues running Madden at 60fps locked. I am still unable to run it higher than this without issues - and that’s why I bought it for PC and not console this year.  

Message 11 of 33 (998 Views)

Community Manager

@CletusVanDammeAu

I understand your position on this. There is potentially a bandwidth issue at play in terms of the physical connection between your GPU and display, especially if you are using a high resolution. How is your display connected, HDMI/DVI/DisplayPort? What version can your display handle and what version is the cable?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#Main_specifications

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Main_specifications

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface#Specifications

barry.png
Message 12 of 33 (976 Views)

★ Apprentice

@EA_Barry

I am using a display port connection into an Alienware AW3418DW monitor. It’s the cable that was provided new with the monitor, which is only six weeks old. I don’t have this issue with any other games, including other EA games eg. FIFA 18, which I understand also runs on Frostbite engine. Battlefronts 2 also runs perfectly at well above 60fps at 3440x1440, as does BF1. I’m really at a loss to explain this so can only hope EA will be addressing in a patch. 

Message 13 of 33 (988 Views)

★★★ Novice

I have the exact same problem as these people. Its like the player animations somehow are locked at 30fps while the rest of the field is rendering at 120fps or above. When I lock the fps to 60 the problem stops. I have a 165hz monitor and Fifa runs perfectly at the full 165fps. It definitely seems like an issue within the software and not a hardware problem. 

Message 14 of 33 (935 Views)

★ Apprentice

@EA_Barry why have you marked this as resolved? It’s not. Nobody at EA has been able to assist with this and the issue is still there, for me and for others. 

Message 15 of 33 (915 Views)

Community Manager

@CletusVanDammeAu

I did not mark your post as a solution but I have unmarked it now.

There is a similar thread with a good suggestion for now:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Madden-PC-Stuttering-at-60-fps/m-p/6973524#M909

barry.png
Message 16 of 33 (902 Views)

★★★ Novice

This isn't a similar issue though. This problem is not occurring when the game is capped at 60fps. It is happening when running uncapped framefrates on a monitor that supports higher than 60hz. The game does not render correctly when trying to push uncapped framerates. It's not a sync issue either as I have a G-sync monitor that is fully functional. 

Message 17 of 33 (898 Views)

★ Apprentice

@EA_Barry Vsync on or off makes no difference to me; still have the same issue unfortunately. 

Message 18 of 33 (888 Views)

★ Apprentice

@KriLdoS Exactly - this is correct. 

Message 19 of 33 (886 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Just to be clear, the issue IS NOT limited to monitors that go above 60hz.

I say this because I have a regular 60hz LED monitor and if the frame rate is set to uncapped, it never feels as smooth as the numbers indicate.

For example, despite averaging over 100 FPS it "feels" as though my frame rate is in the 40s/50s.  It just doesn't look smooth.  The moment I cap the frame rate at 60, it immediately becomes silky smooth like it should be.

I'm certain it's a game-specific issue and has nothing to do with monitors, or cables, or drivers.  Something strange is going on with the engine itself.

Message 20 of 33 (866 Views)