For those experiencing BSOD whilst playing BFV

by DanTheHunterMan

Original Post

Accepted Solution

For those experiencing BSOD whilst playing BFV

★★★ Novice

I just thought I would report back as I was one of the people that were experiencing BSODs very shortly after starting to play BFV. Every other game I own has been fine. For reference my specs are :

Intel i9 9900k OC 5ghz

32GB Corsair 3000mhz RAM

Samsung 500GB M.2

Samsung 1TB 860 Evo SSD

Nvidia RTX 2080Ti 

I went back to the company that built the above and questioned why the BSODs were occurring in this game and no other. To cut a long story short, they instructed me to modify my overclocking settings in this case it was increasing the voltage to the CPU. This has resulted in no further BSODs while playing BFV.

When I looked at the CPU usage during this game it looks like it is really pushing all the cores using all the threads available. This is why its unusual to other games which normally only use a couple of cores quite intensively and then the others to a lesser extent.

I am not saying the above is the same reason everyone is experiencing BSODs. However I just wanted to feed back how I resolved the issue just in case it was the same for others. I also don't recommend jumping into the BIOS and randomly increasing the voltage to components as that is likely to end badly. However if your system is overclocked it may be related to this.

Message 1 of 4 (1,732 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: For those experiencing BSOD whilst playing BFV

★★★ Novice

Largely the changes that I made are going to be system dependent. Or in other words depending on how people have configured their overclock. For me because it had been done by a company I simply asked their advice. Where as with previous builds I had done myself and had overclocked myself I would have known which parameters within the BIOS to change.

The process I went through to get to the point where it worked was :

1. Remove and reseat my RAM. As my system had been couriered to me it is apparently common for memory to become unseated. In this case it made no difference.

2. I performed a clean restart (as described by other mods on this forum). This also made no difference but allowed me to switch off some apps which were consuming memory.

3. I turned my overclock off entirely. This meant I was running back on stock CPU speeds (I haven't OC the 2080Ti yet). This resolved the issue for BFV but was not ideal as the OC was working for every other game.

4. I spoke to the company where I got the computer and asked their advice, they provided me with a new voltage for the CPU I can't remember the exact wording in the ASUS BIOS but it was something like CPU Max Voltage. It was set to 1.250, they suggested a change I applied the change tested it for a day (last Sunday) It was much better but still BSOD after about 4 days of gameplay. I contacted them again and they have suggested another and I have applied that value and it has been running solidly since then value now set at 1.340

Disclaimer : Do not go changing these values randomly as it's likely to damage your system. I don't normally mess around with voltages hence why I got advice from the company that supplied it to me.

This goes back to what I said in my previous post. This game seems to push CPUs much harder than any other previously, as all other games have run without a hitch on the original settings it was supplied to me with. It had also gone through a 24 hour soak test and had not encountered any issues. For it to come through all of that but then be tripped up by one of the first AAA titles shows how much the CPU is being taxed or is perhaps not very optimised.

It's also worth mentioning that BSOD normally has nothing to do with temps.

Hope that helps someone out there.

View in thread

Message 3 of 4 (1,713 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hey @DanTheHunterMan, thanks for sharing the fix that worked with you.

When playing with overclocked hardware you can run into issues with performance and even the dreaded BSOD. 

If you don't mind it may be worth sharing the settings you modified to get the game running for you.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 2 of 4 (1,721 Views)

★★★ Novice

Largely the changes that I made are going to be system dependent. Or in other words depending on how people have configured their overclock. For me because it had been done by a company I simply asked their advice. Where as with previous builds I had done myself and had overclocked myself I would have known which parameters within the BIOS to change.

The process I went through to get to the point where it worked was :

1. Remove and reseat my RAM. As my system had been couriered to me it is apparently common for memory to become unseated. In this case it made no difference.

2. I performed a clean restart (as described by other mods on this forum). This also made no difference but allowed me to switch off some apps which were consuming memory.

3. I turned my overclock off entirely. This meant I was running back on stock CPU speeds (I haven't OC the 2080Ti yet). This resolved the issue for BFV but was not ideal as the OC was working for every other game.

4. I spoke to the company where I got the computer and asked their advice, they provided me with a new voltage for the CPU I can't remember the exact wording in the ASUS BIOS but it was something like CPU Max Voltage. It was set to 1.250, they suggested a change I applied the change tested it for a day (last Sunday) It was much better but still BSOD after about 4 days of gameplay. I contacted them again and they have suggested another and I have applied that value and it has been running solidly since then value now set at 1.340

Disclaimer : Do not go changing these values randomly as it's likely to damage your system. I don't normally mess around with voltages hence why I got advice from the company that supplied it to me.

This goes back to what I said in my previous post. This game seems to push CPUs much harder than any other previously, as all other games have run without a hitch on the original settings it was supplied to me with. It had also gone through a 24 hour soak test and had not encountered any issues. For it to come through all of that but then be tripped up by one of the first AAA titles shows how much the CPU is being taxed or is perhaps not very optimised.

It's also worth mentioning that BSOD normally has nothing to do with temps.

Hope that helps someone out there.

Message 3 of 4 (1,714 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @DanTheHunterMan thanks for getting back to us.

I assume that the solution was related to changing voltage, not something we would ever recommend unless you know what you are doing. Trust me there is nothing worse than the smell of burning coming from your tower.

Enjoy the game man.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 4 of 4 (1,709 Views)