Re: Fifa 22 Xbox One controller issue

by -IRC-mainde

Original Post

★ Novice

Hi Darko!

Mate not being funny but I've worked within Game Development and I am mid-way through my Computer Science Diploma at Level 3 which I've been hard at for 2 years now! I know when a game has a basic fault and it is clear to me that FIFA 22 has this issue within it! Almost every single person on this forum has a issue with there controller's whether it be Xbox One or not now personally for myself I have a Xbox One Wireless Controller with a Xbox One Licensed Wireless Adapter which work's fine with every single game I've ever played including FIFA 20 which has never had any issue's with me, but for the previous couple of new FIFA game's there has always been the issue of a double input or a double skip in the menu, Now not being funny but the game has been out for what? 10 MONTHS??? and there is NO SOLUTION TO A PROBLEM WHICH SHOULD BE SO SIMPLE AND EASY TO FIX??? you should really try and help the community out instead of blaming them for having a fault within there computer system when you know for a fact there is nothing wrong with there computer! what you should do is contact the developer's and find out a real solution to this problem which has effected so many people instead of giving advice which really isn't helpful, I'm pretty sure many people here would like to know how to play a game which they forked out $60 which is a lot of money for a CONTROLLER BASED GAME to not even work in a menu! 

We need a solution, we need it now? stop blaming the community, stop telling us all this advice which isn't even helping us to this very day!

Many Thanks

kptvoli

PS: EA i have no idea what your doing, but you should really sort out your FIFA Franchise along with some of your Community Manager's who contribute absolutely nothing to your forums!

Message 91 of 106 (8,998 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hi all, just adding here that I have been playing FIFA 22 with my Xbox One BT controller for about two weeks, yesterday I updated its firmware to the last version available and now I also have the reported issue: double input, ghost input, erratic behaviour.

Only happens in FIFA22, not detected anywhere else.

Message 92 of 106 (8,856 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I've reverted the firmware update on the gamepad (https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/help/hardware-network/accessories/controller-firmware-reversion) and it now works fine in FIFA22

The difference between the two firmwares are:

- Version 3.1.1221.0, currently working, shows up in device manager as Human Interface Device "Bluetooth XINPUT-compatible input device"

- Version <the newest one, I didn't write it down>, has input issues, shows up in device manager as HID "Bluetooth LE XINPUT compatible input device"

My best guess is that there's some weird logic in FIFA that doesn't recognise the newest HID, so now I can't use LE (Low Energy) Bluetooth. This is because I see there's a "buttonDataSetup.ini" file that matches a lot of specific aliases in "Documents\FIFA 22", someone who knows more about this should be able to easily explain what's going on here.

Message 93 of 106 (8,843 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

LOL, that guess was spot on

100% a FIFA 22 issue and 100% a "buttonDataSetup.ini" issue

While I was trying random things I stumbled upon this message:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Other-FIFA-Games/Fifa-19-controller-issue/m-p/11379768/highlight/true#M245...

So I opened my "buttonDataSetup.ini", I've scrolled to the end, I've added at the very end:

AddController "Controller_025"
	AddAlias "Bluetooth LE XINPUT compatible input device"

And now my controller does not have problems.

I'm kind of upset because I did try to fix this by adding my label to an existing controller section, but I guess none of the AddMap commands make sense in this case thus it needs an emtpy one.

I'll bite my tongue and say nothing more about this, @EA_Darko would you mind making sure the above is fed back to some product manager so that at least this won't be an issue in FIFA23? I found the "fix" in an answer about FIFA 19, just saying. 🤣

Message 94 of 106 (8,828 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Well done in getting to the bottom of this. 

I never believed it was my neighbour microwaving his dinner or swap gas reflecting off Venus that caused the issue. 

Message 95 of 106 (8,732 Views)

Community Manager

Great to hear that you got the issue you were seeing fixed and thanks for sharing it @-IRC-mainde.

That the issue only affected you when using the newest update means that this may be a different one to which others see.

We would always recommend for users seeing issues to try all the suggestions in this thread. 

It's easy to joke about microwaves and other things related to this but they can and do cause issues. Overlapping devices on the same frequency spectrum do cause issues. It's something you can test yourself if you don't believe it. It's not just Bluetooth they can cause issues with, if using 2.4Ghz wifi then you can see interference also as most consumer devices in the home work on the 2.0 GHz and 3.0 GHz spectrum which is the same as your wireless devices.

Darko 

Darko.png
Message 96 of 106 (8,719 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Thanks for looking into this Darko and I appreciate your response. 🙂

I would say that you're generally right, however while everything you're saying is true it seems just not relevant to this case.

I don't doubt that there might be people with RF issues, however they are probably a minority whose controllers would just generally not work. Ultimately it's not FIFA 22 dealing with decoding the controller radio signals, it's the computer's BT radio + the OS + its driver and it's the same stack across all applications.

This bit of @mr5447 's post about FIFA19 is key IMHO:

>the problem with the xbox controller is that somehow Microsoft or whoever wanted it to function in both DirectInput and XInput games or contexts, so, the wireless controller pops up as both controllers when connected by bluetooth.

So FIFA is reading both the Xinput input (probably natively) and the DirectInput input via that "buttonDataSetup.ini" magic layer that creates compatibility and maps the buttons of non-xinput controllers to other inputs - that would explain why the empty section in the file makes it work.

Message 97 of 106 (8,691 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have this issue since fifa 20 and still not found a reliable solution. its driving me nuts.

Message 98 of 106 (8,318 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@Noisome6565 Did the buttondatasetup.ini thing above not work?
Message 99 of 106 (8,124 Views)

★★★ Newbie

where is the buttondatasetup.ini ? i cant find it

Message 100 of 106 (8,076 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

fifa-20-splash

Keep your account safe

Turn on Login Verification to access FUT Web and Companion Apps, and protect your information.

View more on EA Help