Fair matchmaking doesnt work (anymore)

by FUZiONqc

Original Post

Fair matchmaking doesnt work (anymore)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

@EA @Respawn

It seems solo and pre stack queues are the same now and SBMM is unbalanced as never before, at least if you queue up as a "good" player. I read this problem occurs especially for advanced players.

In every match I get muliple pre-stack players now, all at my level or most times higher. All 3 have thousand of kills and 4k damage & 20 kill badge each. 

I`m a lvl 500 with 15k total kills and get matched with teammates about level 100 and level 300 and compete against those pre stack teams. (I know that SBMM doesnt look at levels only or at all but it is a indicator if all 3 player are lvl500 and have more than ten thousand kills each in comparision to level 100/300 with 40/100kills)

How this can be considered as a moderate fair gameplay?

Sure those very good players dont want to play ranked all time together but sorry the current situation is unacceptable!

Month ago this already was a problem but now it is just outrageous. 

I think the causing reason for this is the decreasing player count. But still this is a problem what should be fixed very soon otherwise more and more players will loose interest in Apex. It is really not fun to play like this. And yes I actually enjoy playing with randoms and dont want to follow the pre-stack madness!

I know I´m not the only one who has this problem. There are many topics in the subforum here "general discussion" and many on the Apex Legends reddit section about this. Many decent players already quit Apex because of this situation.

For me personally, abusing the current situation and playing prestack as very good players is equal to cheating because those teams have a very huge advantage to mixed solo queuers! I already had quite often 3x players with predator badges in my not-ranked solo queue pubs lobby!?

I really would appreciate if a Moderator/Staff can redirect this to a responsible person. I really would like to hear the opinion and if there is any interest in finding a solution.

Thank you

Message 1 of 5 (465 Views)

Re: Fair matchmaking doesnt work (anymore)

★★ Expert

There is no such thing here as SBMM it's actually Engagement Optimized Matchmaking. The goals of these are completely different. The latter is designed to keep You hooked, so You keep playing and "praying" for a better squad. Just like gambling.

Here is the official papers: http://web.cs.ucla.edu/~yzsun/papers/WWW17Chen_EOMM

F.ex. I am poor player - really poor I used to be good 20 year ago - not anymore. First games I am usually matched with teammates that I can with with (and I usually do win). Then there are "mixed" teammates (for 10 matches) then it started to get worse and worse - teammates at levels 50. Don't get me wrong here, MY teammates are at that level - enemies are predators or platinums or ttv wratch full pre-made squads. The only way is to disconnect and "pray" for a better squad - this will happen only after certain number of matches when the game finally matches me with "good" teammates with whom I can with a match. And here we go the cycle begins...

Message 2 of 5 (396 Views)

★★ Expert

And I forgot about another important thing - first machings are almost instant - the more You play the longer the mm takes.

Message 3 of 5 (395 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

@PsyhiX69 

Yeah I already read about EOMM, here is a reddit post about it

https://www.reddit.com/r/apexlegends/comments/emvqmq/this_is_how_ea_brought_sbmm_to_apex_and_other/

Also interersting 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/uploads/prod/2018/03/trueskill2.pdf

Honestly I dont know why I still used the term SBMM.

BUT there is still something messed up. The matchmaking wasnt that worse last seasons, especially with very good premade squads in solo queues. I think those prestacks confuse and/or lever out the EOMM system.

What is your opinion about it? Do you think this strategy work for Apex? I actually believe it is one reason for the decreasing player count.

Furthermore, as soon as more people find out about EOMM and how it manipulate us more people will stop playing it.

Message 4 of 5 (376 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Are there actually any staffs from EA or Respawn present in this forum or reddit to get any feedback from them or are only steamers are allowed to give/receive feedback?

Message 5 of 5 (286 Views)