Failed to Initialize IAudioClient

★★★ Novice

Product: Apex Legends
Platform:PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
AMD or Nvidia Model Number R9 390
Enter RAM memory size in GB 32
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? epilepticfairy
Please provide your squad mates' gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name if possible.
Which Legend were you playing (if applicable)?
Which Legends were your squad mates using (if applicable)?
Where did the issue occur? In the lobby (waiting area before the match)
Which part of the map or menu were you in? If you don't remember the exact name, please describe the area or what you were trying to do in the menu. Occurs just after initial load modal before the game goes full screen.
What were you doing when the issue occurred? E.g. respawning a squad mate at a beacon, using an ability, a squad mate left the game. Loading the game.
Did your squad mates also experience the issue? I don't know
How many matches had you played in a row before the issue occurred? 0
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm) 24.03.19 11:00
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
How severe is your issue? Minor impact to gameplay
What happens when the bug occurs? The game does not load. Following error appears: Couldn't Initialize Sound. Please make sure you have a sound playback device that is enabled and properly configured. Failed in: MilesDriverCreate Miles output follows: Audio Hardware Error: Failed to initialize IAudioClient (shared, event mode, float, chans=2, rate=96000, HR=AUDCLNT_E_DEVICE_IN_USE) Failed to initialized WASAPI audio hardware, trying XAudio. Couldn't create XAudio2 master voice.
What should be happening instead? Game loads.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? It seems that the MilesDriver component in the Apex engine is struggling to bind to any audio device set over a sample rate of 44100hz.

I found that this bug was also reported for TitanFall 2 for a different audio device (mine is a HyperX Cloud Revolver Pro USB headset). It looks like both games are using the same function to bind to WASAPI. Sticking plaster fix is to lower the sound quality of my device in Windows but it would be preferable if the game could bind at higher sample rates.

Message 1 of 6 (4,616 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Failed to Initialize IAudioClient

★★★ Novice

Hi Blueberry. Thanks, but I really pinched it from some people who had the same problem with Titanfall.

The main downside with the solution is that USB headsets can reset to defaults when they are plugged in or when drivers are updated. For my headset, this defaults to a sample rate which is not supported by IAudioClient. This means you have to go back through preferences and change the setting every time you plug the headphones in, which for me, with a KVM switch for other machines, is quite often.

View in thread

Message 4 of 6 (4,553 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Newbie

Thanks you so much, I was 2 days with that issue in the whole computer and I fix it lowering the Hz from 48000 to 44100.

Message 2 of 6 (4,583 Views)

Community Manager

@EpiLePTiCFaiRY 

Thanks for sharing this with us! If you're able to respond back to this post we'll credit you with the solution.

Blueberry.png
Message 3 of 6 (4,571 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi Blueberry. Thanks, but I really pinched it from some people who had the same problem with Titanfall.

The main downside with the solution is that USB headsets can reset to defaults when they are plugged in or when drivers are updated. For my headset, this defaults to a sample rate which is not supported by IAudioClient. This means you have to go back through preferences and change the setting every time you plug the headphones in, which for me, with a KVM switch for other machines, is quite often.

Message 4 of 6 (4,554 Views)

★★★ Newbie

im having sort of the same issue but lowering my rate to 44100 does not fix mine also says my adio device is invalidated. can anyone explain?. error message image attached.

Message 5 of 6 (1,975 Views)

Community Manager

Hey, @GlmpHands .

This post was originally created in 2019, so I will be closing it down. Please try searching for a newer post before creating a new one if you still need assistance.

• Don't "necropost." Reviving, updating or bumping old, outdated and irrelevant threads is not helpful for our community. It's best to check when the thread was created before you hit post, just to make sure it's not 2 years old for example.

Forum Rules & Guidelines: https://answers.ea.com/t5/help/faqpage#dos-donts

Blueberry.png
Message 6 of 6 (1,912 Views)