FIFA 23: DirectX function "GetDeviceRemovedReason" failed

by IAmCurryman

Original Post

Accepted Solution

FIFA 23: DirectX function "GetDeviceRemovedReason" failed

★★★★ Novice

Getting this error when I start FIFA 23. I'm able to get past the anti-cheat, create a settings file and the press any key screen but as soon as I get past that I get this error.

I've reinstalled my graphics driver, disabled fullscreen optimization, ran as administrator, and set the FIFA23.exe file to high performance, and I still get the exact same error.

Any suggestions on what else I could try? I've been looking up FIFA 22 solutions and they keep referring to changing the DIRECTX_SELECT value in the fifasetup.ini file, but that option isn't even included in the FIFA 23 fifasetup.ini file.

Specs:

i7-9700k 3.6GHz

32GB RAM

AMD R9 280x 3GB

Message 1 of 62 (9,957 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: FIFA 23: DirectX function "GetDeviceRemovedReason" failed

★★★★ Novice

Sorry for everyone who wanted an update on the situation for me.

So first off, my GPU does not meet the minimum requirements for FIFA 23 which was the reason for the drivers crashing. I have an R9 280x, and driver updates for it have stopped awhile ago.

With that said, i still managed to play a decent amount of FIFA with crashing occurring every timeduring the first bootup and sometimes game. I was still able to play the game though, and probably have about 300 hours logged into FIFA 23.

The 2 main things I did to reduce the frequency of crashes were to always run Origin and FIFA23 as administrator, and to play in Windowed mode; fullscreen leads to crashes regardless of the resolution you play at.

The crashes unfortunately are unavoidable, but since I'm using a 10 year old GPU I'm okay with that.

View in thread

Message 55 of 62 (6,599 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Newbie

i have the same problem

Message 2 of 62 (9,853 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@IAmCurryman same problem, I also have an 200 series card so maybe its something to do with that.
Message 3 of 62 (9,243 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

@insecure_tigerI've a GTX 1070, so it is not just those though.

EDIT: Hmm, so far Ive only gotten the crash when opening FUT Packs, specifically those that give Gold players (and/or those that have the water spout animation, dont know if Gold players always have that one and/or if it can even show up for Bronze or Silver players), played a Kick Off and a Squad Battles match without problem and mostly I think it actually ran better than average, so (hopefully) something is just borken with the Pack opening animation (quickly skipping it doesnt result in a crash), at least for me.

EDIT2: I do indeed think it something to do with those water spouts, because I just opened yet another Bronze pack and it worked perfectly fine...until it started the water spout animation (guess I got my answer to whether Bronze players could get the spout animation or not), which crashed with the same error. Seems a bit too consistent that it would crash exactly when or slightly after said animation starts to show, everything running fine before that.

Message 4 of 62 (9,161 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Got the same problem, can play games. but when i open gold packs it freezes and give me the error... 

Before the update of today i never had it. opend like 53 78+ packs today before the update, no problems. After update i got the problem with a pack that have a boarded player in it. 

Message 5 of 62 (8,982 Views)

★ Apprentice

i have this error everywhere. it seems to be happening more often in the menus, but also sometimes in game.

Message 6 of 62 (8,965 Views)

★★★ Novice

managed to solved?

Message 7 of 62 (8,939 Views)

★★★ Newbie

same

Message 8 of 62 (8,833 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@stuartwilco i got exact same problem only when rare packs. if u find a solution please tag me
Message 9 of 62 (8,798 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@BloodlustSweden same, if you find a solution please tag me. exact same issue here
Message 10 of 62 (8,797 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

fifa-20-splash

Keep your account safe

Turn on Login Verification to access FUT Web and Companion Apps, and protect your information.

View more on EA Help