Extreme Packet Loss

by iim_Diz

Original Post

Extreme Packet Loss

★★★★ Novice

Hello everyone, I hope you are well. I have a problem that I am hoping some can help me with.

Last week I moved into my new apartment and got ATT Fiber Internet installed because it is the only provider they offer.

But since I moved in Apex Legends has been unplayable. Originally I tried to use my ATT router they supplied to play after configuring the settings a bit. I was able to obtain Open NAT (previously Moderate) with around 30~ latency and 0% packet loss.

I would then load the game and the server I would join says 28-35ms for ping and 0% packet loss. So I thought all was good until I loaded into the game. Wrong! The packet loss was so extreme I thought it would crash my Xbox. After that I went back into my ATT router and added all the forwarded ports I would need (for both XBL and Apex Legends). Still no dice.

I figured it may be the router? So today I went to Best Buy and said, I’m going to go big because I want this nightmare to end (after about 4 days of playing with settings). So I settled on the NETGEAR Nighthawk router.

Brought it back to the house, added the ports and configured the settings... Then I tested the multiplayer connection from my Xbox. Results were 300+mbps download/upload, 0% packet loss, 34 latency and Open NAT (UPnP enabled on NETGEAR router). Ookla Speed test app showed around the same thing for speeds. Perfect!

I then load Apex Legends and it again shows a great 18-25ms ping and 0% packet loss. I quickly check to make sure I’m still Open NAT, and I am! Sweet. I start playing and the first few games were great but then I get hit by the crippling packet loss again. Why? I’m hard wired into my new router and everything is open. Why am I having these issues?

Does anyone have any advice? I love Apex Legends, it’s the only game I play.

The router I have is the NETGEAR Nighthawk x6 AC3200.

Any and all help is very much appreciated. Thank you!

Message 1 of 3 (325 Views)

Re: Extreme Packet Loss

★★★★ Novice

Also, it seems like my first post was marked as spam after going back to see if anyone had responded. That is why I posted this again. Not sure how my first post could be considered spam...

Message 2 of 3 (312 Views)

Re: Extreme Packet Loss

★★★ Newbie

Is there a chance that Apex will get/use more servers. I usually play with a ping 150-200, but last night I had a ping of 201 and a packet loss of 78%. The London server is usually the best one for us. I live and play in South Africa, playing rank is a nightmare and it is at a stage where it is difficult to enjoy the game.

Message 3 of 3 (286 Views)