Extreme Packet Loss

by iim_Diz

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Extreme Packet Loss

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

So I moved into a new apartment. I just had ATT Fiber Internet Installed with a plan that downloads and uploads up to 1GB speeds.

Since it was installed there has been nothing but problems when trying to play Apex Legends. And what I say problems, I mean CRIPPLING packet loss.

But here’s the kicker.. When I go to test multiplayer connection my upload/download speeds are all 200-450mbps, 25-34 latency, 0% packet loss and OPEN NAT. 

When I boot up Apex the main menu screen tells me my ping ranges from 25-34ms with 0% packets loss as well.

But when I load into the game? Queue the permanent packet loss symbol because it’s there waiting for me. The game lags so bad it feels like the games will crash. 

So I thought maybe it’s my router? I went to Best Buy today and bought the NETGEAR Nighthawk gaming router. I pushed everything over to the new Nighthawk router, added forwarded ports for Xbox Live and Apex Legends, and tried again. Same issue.

Im at wits end and do not know what to do. All my devices at home including smart tv stream and load lightning quick, zero issues. But when I load into a game on Apex, at best I will have 2-3 playable games before the issues starts again making Apex unplayable.

Somebody please, help me. Again, I have open NAT, high download/upload speeds, 0% packet loss at game menu and Xbox connection testing. UPnP is enabled on router. Equipment has been restarted numerous times. Specific port forwards are assigned to my Xbox. 

What am I possibly missing?

Message 1 of 27 (2,968 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Extreme Packet Loss

Community Manager

@iim_Diz 

That test is showing high ping times and timeouts. Those are happening before you reach our servers. It sounds like you've gone through some extensive troubleshooting so I'm not sure what else to suggest. It's not happening with our servers so this would be up to your ISP. It's unfortunate you don't have a PC as the UO Trace gives more information that could be useful.

Aljo.png

View in thread

Message 12 of 27 (3,878 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hi there, @iim_Diz.

I'll try to help find out why you're having connection trouble. First, are you on a wired or wireless connection?

Aljo.png
Message 2 of 27 (2,936 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hello!

I am wired.

Message 3 of 27 (2,922 Views)

Community Manager

@iim_Diz 

Good. That's much better than wireless. Do you have a PC by chance? If so let’s find out how your connection is reaching our servers. Can you run a UO Trace and screenshot me the results? Instructions are here: https://help.ea.com/en/help/faq/connection-troubleshooting-basic/.

Aljo.png
Message 4 of 27 (2,907 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Nevermind I kept reading haha. Here is what I found.

Message 5 of 27 (2,877 Views)

★★★★ Novice

This one as well.

Message 6 of 27 (2,870 Views)

Community Manager

@iim_Diz 

Can you also run the Pathping test? How to do it is in the instructions. Thanks!

Aljo.png
Message 7 of 27 (2,837 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Here you go! Looks like similar results to the trace text. 

Message 8 of 27 (2,827 Views)

Community Manager

@iim_Diz

Yes. It does look the same. So, either you're running the test wrong or there's a problem with your connection since the data being sent can't get past your router. Do you have a PC? They work far better than Macs for this test.

Aljo.png
Message 9 of 27 (2,823 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I had ATT come in today to my apartment and they installed a brand new ONT box and router. I am not using the Netgear gaming router at the moment. After adding the port forward codes I was able to open my NAT. Speeds looks great with 0% packet loss. But as soon as I join a game with friends I once again am hit with packet loss.

Let us assume that I am not connecting with your servers somehow. What would I need to do to resolve it?

By the way, I had one lag free game today after refreshing my network after adding the port forwards. But my second game resumed the packet loss. Why does this happen despite the servers saying 0% PL at the main menu? What do I need to do for my network to reach your servers?

Message 10 of 27 (2,772 Views)