Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Experiencing latency

by EA_Darko

Original Post

Highlighted

★★★ Novice

@Str8hii sure, I'm not ready yet to point any fingers though. Still hoping/assuming @EA_Darko or somebody else from EA can help me out one way or the other.

Message 11 of 20 (141 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Novice

Or maybe @EA_Aljo who seems pretty responsive in some of the other threads about latency Standard smile

Message 12 of 20 (135 Views)
Highlighted

Community Manager

Hey @dariogieselaar looking at your attached information and on your Pathping, I'm showing packet loss. Right away on hop one, you have 20% packet loss which points to a connection issue.

What it means is that on that hop 20% of the info you sent was not received and you have packet loss on subsequent hops also.

If you have already gone through the recommended troubleshooting steps then the next thing to do is speak with your ISP and show them the traces you ran so that they can help you improve your connection.

Darko

Message 13 of 20 (132 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Novice

@EA_Darko Cheers for the reply, I recognize that you're probably busy. I already spoke to my ISP and they said it's not an issue on their side. There's a bunch of other questions that I mentioned in the first post(s) though, do you have time to answer them as well, or get somebody else to look at it?

Message 14 of 20 (130 Views)
Highlighted

Community Manager

Hey @dariogieselaar the documents you attached are showing a clear connection or network issue. It is your ISP's responsibility to route your data from your home network to where it needs to go and if packets are being lost along the way then that is something that they will need to assist with.

Darko

Message 15 of 20 (116 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Apprentice

Do EA ever acknowledge there's serious issues with their network, matchmaking and input delay? As some guy already said, the support forums are awash with connection issues and 9 times out of 10 they've done everything possible their end. I can't remember ONCE seeing EA say they've an issue, it's always the customers fault. Next time there's a mass outage, go to EA's twitter feed to see ultra denial in action....

Message 16 of 20 (114 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Novice

@EA_Darko Hi, again, lots of questions in my original post. Let's forget about the packet loss for a bit, I'll make sure to talk to my ISP about that again. I will quote my questions here:

- In case of the latter, is there any other (more reliable way) I can measure latency? (I want to make sure that my perception of latency is correct)

- Is a latency of 80+ms noticable in-game?

- Are all hops relevant? The final hop is located across the Atlantic in the US. Will I be connected to a US server in the game as well, even though I'm in the EU (The Netherlands)?

- Is there any kind of documentation on how easo.ea.com works (other than "run a traceroute to easo.ea.com")? As in: what is the purpose of the server, how is it related to in-game latency, etc?

Message 17 of 20 (104 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Apprentice

80ms+ latency is definitely noticeable in-game. If you're in the Netherlands, you should be connected to an EU server and should not be experiencing more than say 30ms ping (and more like 15-20ms) as you're so centrally located. 

As for what is the purpose of a trace to the US when the problem is you're an EU gamer, playing on EU servers against other EU players .... seems completely pointless. Though I can imagine EA doing a "oh, you're experiencing lag on our game. Have you tried connecting to Tokyo? .... yep, just as I thought, massive ping to Tokyo. The problems definitely your end and definitely not the godly, beyond reproach EA".

If you've forwarded all relevant ports, use a wired connection, have decent internet and have little other network traffic on your connection, the problem is on EA's side (look through these forums at the mass amount of complaints) and there's nothing more you can do your end.

Message 18 of 20 (93 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Novice

@EA_Darko did you have a chance yet perhaps to look at the questions I posted? My ISP basically says that things on their end look fine as well, some packet loss in a traceroute is to be expected because their servers intentionally don't respond to all tracert requests.

Again, my first priority is to find a way to measure the actual in-game latency. I'm not sure if the traceroute to easo.ea.com is an accurate reflection of my in-game experience.

Message 19 of 20 (64 Views)
Highlighted

Community Manager

Hey @dariogieselaar, while some packet loss on a hop is to be expected 20%, is not. 100% packet loss on certain hops would correspond to a hop where it is not configured or sending info but 20% packet loss on a hop means that the hop is working and set up but that 20% of the info you sent is being lost. 

If you want to test your connection to a different server then the UO Trace instructions contain information additional hops you can try. That said, no matter how far away from you a server is, a 20% packet loss is not the norm and is showing that you have issues. 

Based on the evidence you supplied it's clear that you are having connection issues, I would suggest speaking with your ISP again and asking them for further clarification as 20% packet loss on a hop points to an issue that you need to address with your ISP.

Darko

Message 20 of 20 (50 Views)
Twitter Stream