by maldwag

Original Post

Error message on start up - Update AMD Driver

★★★★ Novice

Product: Mass Effect Andromeda
Platform:PC
What edition do you have? Deluxe Edition
Physical Disc or Digital version? Digital Based Install
Summarize your bug Get an error message when I launch the game saying I am not using the most up to date version of graphics driver, says I am running 17.1.1 when I am in fact running 17.7.1 (and has also happened with previous versions such as 17.4)
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
How long has this issue been happening? Happening since the last patch
Which single-player mode are you playing?
Please select your region
Run the www.speedtest.net network benchmark and post your upload and download speeds.
What company provides your internet service?
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? I imagine if you were to try run the game on a similar set up to mine, you would get the error. Would be interested to know if other R9 380X users were experiencing the same bug.
What is the AMD or Nvidia Model Number of your graphics card? R9 380X
Please enter memory size in GB. 8GB

I think I've outlined what is happening well enough above but I'll say again.

When I go to launch Andromeda I am met with the following message 

"Please update your AMD Radeon driver

Detected AMD Radeon driver version 17.1.1. The recommended driver version is 17.3.3 or later. Pleas update your drivers at http://www.amd.com/ before playing the game.

Do you want to try and run the game anyway? There may be stability, performance or visual corruption issues."

And as you can see in the attached image I am running a newer version of the driver (17.7.1). I have just done a clean install of the drivers now to the latest version available to me.

This has been happening since the update before the Character Creator update, at first I thought it was because the patch and a new driver (17.4.x I believe) came out on the same day.

But it has been happening ever since.

I can still play the game normally and don't appear to get any graphical or performance issues, but it is annoying to get an error message each time I go to play the game.

Message 1 of 4 (553 Views)

Re: Error message on start up - Update AMD Driver

★★★★★ Guide

This is indeed a very strange error to be seeing.  I would probably actually go grab the 17.3.3 driver from AMD and start with that driver first if this was my machine.

the 17.3.3 driver itself was I believe released specifically for ME:A.. and yes your game should detect the later versions, but no idea why it isn't on this occasion.   I would probably also check the properties of your masseffectandromeda.exe and set it to 'RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR' so that it has full access on your machine, in case it can't read a registry key or something. (Rights issue)

Message 2 of 4 (542 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I have previously tried running as Admin, doesn't change anything.

Interesting thing happened when I grabbed the 17.3.3 driver from AMD and ran the installer I got the following result.

Message 3 of 4 (531 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Got 17.3.3 installed and uhh well, see for yourself.

Message 4 of 4 (527 Views)

me-andromeda-fem

Keep your account safe

We'll make sure it's you by sending you a code for your trusted devices.

Learn more about Login Verification on EA Help

fifa-20-promo-splash

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help