Engine Error: Couldn't create Texture/Shader - 887a005 Error

by thisisBelmont

Original Post

Engine Error: Couldn't create Texture/Shader - 887a005 Error

★★ Novice

So the Laptop I just got is Dell Inspiron 5406 8GB RAM Intel Iris Xe graphics. I took the game files for Apex Legends from my mate and after playing for a day, I got the "Cannot create texture" / "Cannot create shader" error. The files my mate gave me, had ReShade installed alongside the XHair preset. So I thought that was what caused the error. I posted on this subreddit and got the advice to download a fresh copy.

I did as I was told and yet again, the error persists.

Here's what one of the errors I get when I'm fiddling with my video settings (or even trying to play TRIOS / selecting what server location to play on - usually works fine on Arenas): https://imgur.com/a/W41gwIg

So what am I supposed to do? The error occurs one way or the other, usually at the lobby.... Kindly help me out here.

Message 1 of 14 (10,049 Views)

Re: Engine Error: Couldn't create Texture/Shader - 887a005 Error

Community Manager

@thisisBelmont 

Please try the following troubleshooting posted on the below related thread, thanks.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Apex-Legends-crashing-while-starting-from-Origin/m-p/9939...

barry.png
Message 2 of 14 (10,027 Views)

★★ Guide

@thisisBelmont Hmm. This is a pretty tricky situation since this is a laptop with an integrated GPU. I would recommend updating drivers, verifying the integrity of the game on whatever platform you're on. Then you can try this guide to see if it helps at all: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2540415565

Now why I mentioned the integrated GPU: On my PC with a dedicated GPU, putting all settings to low 1080p resolution I will use about 2.4GB VRAM alone. Coupling in the ram usage of the game would be somewhere around 2-3GB. That's 5.4GB alone on Apex. With background tasks etc, I expect ram usage to be over 8GB on your system. Since your GPU shares memory with the system, this could cause instability in the program with errors such as the one you're seeing. But you have to monitor the system to see if that is the case if no other fixes help.

Message 3 of 14 (9,998 Views)

★★ Novice

So I tried everything you mentioned and it still doesn't work. The game still crashes as soon as I open the gamemode selection screen or even the server selection dialogue box.   

And just to make sure we're on the same page, Irix Xe Graphics has 4GB VRAM, unlike other Intel graphics, which usually come up with 128MB VRAM. So I don't see why Apex Legends (which according to you, usually takes up 2.4 GB VRAM) would need to borrow any memory from my actual RAM, which is 8 GB. So I don't see the lack of VRAM being the problem to this. My mate has 1.5 GB VRAM (Intel HD 620) on his Acer laptop (with 8 GB RAM) and he still plays the game at a semi-playable FPS.  His game has never crashed or such so.

Thank you for the reply and I'm hoping you can help me out here because I'm at the brink of giving up here.

Message 4 of 14 (9,975 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@thisisBelmont The Intel Xe Graphics you have is an integrated GPU that shares RAM for VRAM. Directly from your DXIDAG file:

Display Memory: 4085 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 128 MB
       Shared Memory: 3957 MB

It has VRAM of 128MB, and is sharing 3,957MB system memory for 4GB display memory. So basically for tasks while gaming you have 4GB ram available. And the 2.4GB I stated was actually incorrect. At 1080p the usage can start around 2.4GB but it can fluctuate up into the 4GB or so range.

I'm just under the assumption that or your GPU driver is the issue since it is a fresh install. You can also try repairing the game.

Message 5 of 14 (9,960 Views)

★ Novice

Hello I have the same problem as you. I will soon be looking for a week and applying the different solutions that I find on the internet but nothing works

So what I have already tried to do:
_Update my graphics drivers
_Modify and add the key "TdrDelay" in the registry
graphics card folder
_Repair, reinstall, launch the game in windowed mode, deactivate v-sync, deactivate origin in game.
_Deactivate the game bar in the windows settings.

My configuration is as follows:
One X player (I have two)
_CPU Core I7 1165G7
_GPU intel graphics iris Xe driver 27.20.100.8729
_Game played Apex Legends Season 09

If you have succeeded in solving it this problem can help me or keep me informed or if someone can help me. Sorry in advance if I do not answer you immediately, because of the lag of French Polynesia but, I would do my best thank you.

E-mail: [edit: email address removed]

Message 6 of 14 (9,931 Views)

★★ Novice

I updated my drivers to the latest update that was released on 7/14/2021 and the game worked for about an hour, until I tried to play another Battle Royale match and I got the 887a005 error once again. So that's where I'm at with the issue thus far.. Now my drivers are completely upto-date and I still can't seem to figure out the issue..

Message 7 of 14 (9,910 Views)

★ Novice

Yes I also noticed her! When you install a new version of the driver for the graphics card you can play for a few hours or a few minutes it varies. Another thing that I tried is to deactivate the graphics card (don't worry you will be able to react afterwards) in the device managers then to launch the games, and there no more error messages. However the game jerks too much, and remains unplayable. Our graphics card is still too recent to this day. Suddenly a solution may exist. On this we keep abreast.

Message 8 of 14 (9,898 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@ZenoxUTCHIWA Since you both have the same card and the same issue. It seems to be related to that card. Either through the driver or the game engine. Would recommend contacting Intel.

Message 9 of 14 (9,890 Views)

★ Novice

Hello so tonight I was able to play all evening with my friends without the game crashing. But I don't know yet if I really found the solution to our problem because at the time I wrote you this message I just finished my game. I'll have to try longer but its worth it for you to test it too. So what I did first you uninstall your graphics driver then reinstall the latest version. Why, to reset it to 0 important (otherwise you will not be able to launch the game to modify your parameters). To put all the video parameters on low, I also deactivated the V-sync, set to "0" the adaptive resolution FPS target, anti-aliasing on TSA, texture filtering on bilinear, and especially this one texture streaming budget the put on medium (3go VRAM). keep me posted if it's good on your side so that we can compare our results. And I play windowed without borders.

Message 10 of 14 (9,838 Views)