Re: Easy Anticheat causes BSOD on launch

by NamelessHenchman

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Easy Anticheat causes BSOD on launch

★★★ Novice

When I launch the game I sometimes get a BSOD and at the top of the error message it has something to do with easy anti-cheat. To get around this I've set my game to run in administrator, this seems to fix it for now. I am running on windows 7

Message 1 of 19 (36,340 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★ Novice

Hi there,

As I've always had my drivers and computer updated - I wasn't that confident that it was a driver issue (Nvidia had updated four times over the period of my crashes and most of the updates are just updates to the 'text' files that individual games need to run on that particular card - so I doubt if there were memory issues, partly because they are rare in card driver updates, and they mainly occur in game updates with bad optimisation Wink.

So I looked into the Easy Anti-cheat software itself and found several forums that discussed how the software starts up by stressing the computer briefly and and comparing the results to a set of criteria that if the computer fails - it then crashes out... so... if you have an overclocked machine (as I do - albeit just a 5% increase run by the Asus Bios), occasionally windows needs to update its 'performance - Windows Experience Index'... I have noticed this before, when I've added a camera or controller... and you should be able to just re-start the machine and the registry updates and off you go... but since windows 7 is now not supported anymore it would seem that those registry 'flushes' are not happening... so I recommend that you manually run your windows performance index and then it would seem that Easy Anti-cheat is then happy with the hardware set-up... and remember - keep those temp folders clean - I've also had 5Gb left in there with all of the crashing!...

I hope this works for others!?

Best regards

Pippi

View in thread

Message 8 of 19 (36,088 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hey @Pippiwho

Have you tried repairing Easy Anti-Cheat to see if that helps at all? You can find more information on how to repair it over at the Easy Anti-Cheat website

Let me know if that helps with the BSOD crashes. Thanks!

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 2 of 19 (36,247 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi Kent,

Yes I have tried the repair on Anticheat (running the EXE file in admin and choosing the repair option)... but I'm still getting a BSOD screen mentioning the memory problem/overrun with Anticheat... I've also tried running the game exe in admin - as well as the Origin launcher.... and it's still happening... I start up the game - I see the start-up screen and then it crashes...about 1 in 8 attempts to start.

I can't believe this is simply down to me running this on a Win7 Pro machine as I have a 32Gb ram machine with a GTX 1070 card (all fully updated)... and I have two other people here who have similar machine set-ups and yes they have both crashed once, with the same BSOD last week - but not as many times as my machine...

Any ideas?

Best

Pippi

Message 3 of 19 (36,209 Views)

★★ Guide

Having same problem. After the second last update, started happening - BSOD upon Apex start up.

I have already deleted Easy Anti cheat and re-installed. 

Mentions Easy Anti-Cheat causing a page fault in a non-paged area.

It means Easy Anti-Cheat is looking for cheats in an off-limits reserved area of the paging file (virtual RAM), causing a resource conflict.

They need to sort this out pronto - please pass this feedback on to Easy Anti-Cheat.

Message 4 of 19 (36,187 Views)

Community Manager

I appreciate the updates!

Can you try something else for me to see if it has any effect? Open up the Easy Anti-Cheat folder on your PC and look for the easy-anticheat.sys file. Delete this file, then try launching the game again. Let me know if it's still crashing the same way after that. . 

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 5 of 19 (36,168 Views)

★★★ Novice
@EA_Kent Hi Kent,
I've looked through the file and not found any sys file - even though the crash screen does reference the problem with the sys file... and it still crashes... I've also searched some of the other games that use Easy-anticheat - such as For Honor and they don't have a sys file either... there are no Easy-anticheat sys files on any of my hard drives!... it seems the anti cheat BSOD screen has been around for a year or so - looking at the forum posts?...I'll try running GIMPS Prime95 to see if my system has any problems...
Do get back to me if you have any more ideas?
Best
Pippi
Message 6 of 19 (36,150 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@Pippiwho I updated my graphics driver (NVIDIA) and it seemed to help.

It may be that the resource conflict was Easy Anti Cheat was trying to access a non paged area reserved for the graphics executions.

Seems to have been an recent Apex Update as well

Message 7 of 19 (36,142 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi there,

As I've always had my drivers and computer updated - I wasn't that confident that it was a driver issue (Nvidia had updated four times over the period of my crashes and most of the updates are just updates to the 'text' files that individual games need to run on that particular card - so I doubt if there were memory issues, partly because they are rare in card driver updates, and they mainly occur in game updates with bad optimisation Wink.

So I looked into the Easy Anti-cheat software itself and found several forums that discussed how the software starts up by stressing the computer briefly and and comparing the results to a set of criteria that if the computer fails - it then crashes out... so... if you have an overclocked machine (as I do - albeit just a 5% increase run by the Asus Bios), occasionally windows needs to update its 'performance - Windows Experience Index'... I have noticed this before, when I've added a camera or controller... and you should be able to just re-start the machine and the registry updates and off you go... but since windows 7 is now not supported anymore it would seem that those registry 'flushes' are not happening... so I recommend that you manually run your windows performance index and then it would seem that Easy Anti-cheat is then happy with the hardware set-up... and remember - keep those temp folders clean - I've also had 5Gb left in there with all of the crashing!...

I hope this works for others!?

Best regards

Pippi

Message 8 of 19 (36,089 Views)

Community Manager

@Pippiwho 

Very interesting. That's good to know. Thumbs up

I appreciate you taking the time to write this up!

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 9 of 19 (36,064 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Well, it took me a long search to get here and finally solve the problem. But anyway - @Pippiwho thank you! And just to mention - for win10 you need to go to elevated command prompt, and then type 'winsat formal' to generate Windows Experience Index, which should solve the problem for all EasyCheated Wink games.

Message 10 of 19 (35,064 Views)