Re: EASHL input delay/lag spikes

by WayneKenov2233

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@EA_AljoI have done that a couple times before. I made sure to go over the forum threads with similar issues and try their fixes.

Here is an example of the type of lag spike I see usually once/twice a game and it usually happens in 2 out of every 3 games I play.

Button delay is very bad after recovering from the spike but eventually goes back to normal (still delayed).

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/wayne-kenov/gif/ScientificResponsibleAppaloosa

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/wayne-kenov/gif/BrokenDisastrousGalapagosdove

Message 11 of 20 (634 Views)

Community Manager

@WayneKenov2233 

Have you also tried alternate DNS servers? Your video seems to indicate packet loss and input delay is a good sign of high ping times. Neither of which are showing in your tests. Is this happening in every game you play or is it occurring more often during busier times like in the evenings?

Aljo.png
Message 12 of 20 (623 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@EA_Aljo I currently use cloudflare DNS servers. I tried Googles and had a much worse experience.

The only time i play NHL is between the hours of like 8/9pm est 1/2am. So I can't say if it happens outside those hours but during that time I experience it quite often. Like I had mentioned probably 2 out of every 3 games I play.
Message 13 of 20 (621 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@WayneKenov2233 

If would be good to run the test again during the time that you play. It's possible this is a traffic issue. With so many people staying home these days, the heavy traffic is causing slower connections. So far though, I'm not seeing any reason why you should be lagging. Have you checked your network cable for any damage? Also, check to see if your router has a firmware update available.

Aljo.png
Message 14 of 20 (615 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@EA_Aljothat sounds like a plan. I will run the same test later tonight during the time I normally play and post the results in this thread.

My router is a Unifi Dream Machine and I am fairly confident I have it configured correctly so I don't think its a hardware issue on my side. It is completely up to date. I can also swap ethernet cables to see if there is an issue there. 

Thank you for your help so far.

Message 15 of 20 (610 Views)

Community Manager

@WayneKenov2233 

You're very welcome. We'll pick this up again tomorrow after I review your tests. You can also check to see if QoS (Quality of Service) is enabled on your router.

Aljo.png
Message 16 of 20 (596 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@EA_Aljo Yes I do have QoS enabled. Its actually supposed to be a more advanced version called Smart Queues so I hope the issue isn't on that end.

Speed test

Above is a speed test and I have my download speed hampered to have smart queues enabled. With that disabled I am rated at 550 down / 50 up. I know bufferbloat is usually a good way to measure latency and I don't seem to have any issues there. 

Thanks again

Message 17 of 20 (581 Views)

Community Manager

@WayneKenov2233 

Speed isn't the issue. You don't really need a fast connection. It needs to be stable. From what I can tell so far, your connection looks fine so it's really odd this would be happening. Let's see what the tests say when you run them during the time you play.

Aljo.png
Message 18 of 20 (571 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@EA_Aljo 

I had talked to my ISP two weeks ago and they recommended a different modem that produces less jitter. So I went ahead and bought a new one. They also fixed some cabling inside my home that they said may have been causing it.

I didn't play every day but it seemed to work fine for the last week. However the last couple nights the same issues came back.

Not sure if you have any other suggestions for me.

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/wayne-kenov/gif/rarefastgoose

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/wayne-kenov/gif/HonestIllinformedBarb

Still happening multiple times a game in back 2 back games.

Message 19 of 20 (444 Views)

Community Manager

@WayneKenov2233 

What modem are you using now? Is it another combo modem/router? It would be good to see another UO Trace since you're using different equipment.

Aljo.png
Message 20 of 20 (403 Views)