DirectX Error: FindClosestMatchingMode

by Helaine123

Original Post

Re: "DirectX Setup Error: An internal error occurred".

★ Apprentice

Fixed Sim City 4 for me!!!! Thanks :eahigh_file:

Message 70 of 174 (2,003 Views)

DirectX Error: FindClosestMatchingMode

★★★★★ Newbie

For many of my Origin games, upon starting the game, the game opens in windowed mode, with a black screen, and after a while the following DirectX error popup appears and then shuts down the game:

"DirectX function "FindClosestMatchingMode" failed with DXGI_ERROR_NOT_CURRENTLY_AVAILABLE ("The requested functionality is not supported by the device or the driver."). GPU: "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M", Driver: 38871

That error was from Mass Effect: Andromeda, but it's occurring with Dragon Age: Inquisition as well.  Both games are a digital based installation that used to run just fine with no problems.  This error message happens 99% of the time, and when it doesn't the game may run in windowed mode for a couple minutes and then this error will popup and close the game.

I just recently updated Origin, and my PC. I have the most recent GeForce Game Ready Driver; Version: 388.71.  I've researched and noticed there's been quite a few questions about this and that Soepelebaas gave a fix that has worked for a lot of people.  The fix he stated to try was to open the file "ProfOpts_profile" and change "GstRender.FullscreenMode 1" to "GstRender.FullscreenMode 2".  This hasn't worked for me.  Has there been any fix or update for this that I'm missing?

Message 71 of 174 (4,237 Views)

Re: DirectX Error: FindClosestMatchingMode

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Hi @Helaine123

I guess the latest driver isn't working properly with your games,so you need to rollback your Nvidia driver to the previous version.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours.I'm a gamer like you, trying to help you (i'm not an EA employee).

If you want to know us or/and come up with ideas to improve the Origin platform or/and talk about anything and many more besides,you could also visit the NEW section Origin General Discussion http://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion/bd-p/origin-general-discussion-en

Retired champion.
Message 72 of 174 (4,225 Views)

★★ Novice

I have the same problem , but with loading BF4. 

Message 73 of 174 (4,199 Views)

★★ Novice

Rolling back the driver does nothing .I went back to 388.31 and it still doesn't work and the game was working fine before the latest origin update ,so this is where the problem lays

Message 74 of 174 (4,193 Views)

★★ Novice

my fix was to make sure the GPU scaling was on,after that the game loaded and I played with no issues.

Message 75 of 174 (4,186 Views)

★★ Novice

It's not a nvida driver problem , it's windows 10 latest update. 

Message 76 of 174 (4,186 Views)

★★ Novice

Go to your GPU control panel,go to display,look at "apply the following settings" look at "perform scaling on" make sure it is on "GPU" not "display" press "apply" and you are good to go.

Message 77 of 174 (6,041 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
That worked! I had to check a box that overrides the scaling mode set by games and programs to scale on GPU. Now all the games open great for me! Thank you!
Message 78 of 174 (4,138 Views)

Re: "DirectX Setup Error: An internal error occurred".

★ Novice

THIS IS EXACTLY HOW YOU SOLVE THE ERROR ON EA ORIGIN FOR PC - (DirectX Setup Error: An internal error occurred)

here is the YouTube Video again! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRfCNk-DsWg 

thanks again to the first poster of this video!!!

Message 79 of 174 (2,690 Views)