Re: Ddos or internet?

by RealSirXander

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Ddos or internet?

★★ Novice

Hello,  I have tried playing ranked a couple games to have a feel for it.  On the night of July 24, the two only games I played in ranked in a row were fantastic until roughly 5 to 10 minutes into them (I legit can't keep track of time).  At which point, the symptoms of a Ddos attack started occuring, with my internet eventually shutting down for about 5 minutes (that one I counted time). 

First time it happened, on my first ranked game of the night, I blamed it on my internet connection, which is usually incredibly stable, especially on a wired connection such as I am running, making it highly improbable, but not impossible. 

Nevertheless, I tolerated the abandonment penalty and jumped into a second game.  However, the exact same thing happened: about 5 to 10 minutes into the game, symptoms of Ddos (everything stopped moving for a while and could not interact with anything), then lost internet connection for about 5 minutes again.  Now, if it's my internet connection, a second game in a row in ranked mode at roughly the same interval, with internet shutting down for the same amount of time, that's a hot coincidence.  I tried other game modes after that to make sure, and nothing happened then.  I am going to try again tomorrow and update. 

What I wish to ask is for two things: for one, how bad are Ddos attacks in Apex legends even after measures seem to have been taken to reduce them?  I am Bronze IV, so how widespread is it really?  Secondly, I wish to ask EA, if I was indeed victim of Ddos attack, why did I still have abandonment penalties?  I thought I read that the game could now detect if it was a Ddos and that a loss forgiveness was granted instead.

Will record tomorrow to see if it happens again, since I did not think of recording now to save proof and I am far from being in the mood to retry right now.

Thank you and have a nice day!

Message 1 of 5 (727 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★ Novice

@EA_Atic After testing it for some days now, I can safely say that, as coincidental as that was, the problem was indeed on my ISP's side.  I guess lady luck wasn't on my side that day.

View in thread

Message 4 of 5 (626 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

Hey, @RealSirXander have you tried our connective guide and see if that helps? 

Let us know what you tried.

And by sounds of it the network cant handle the load of APEX, its not DDOS. 

/Atic 

Message 2 of 5 (664 Views)

★★ Novice

Hello @EA_Atic , sorry I could not update sooner.  I was unable to connect for the past few days since there was a problem with the servers or something for Quebec players. 

It can't be something that won't handle the load of APEX, since games that lasted much longer in public queues were always fine.  The game has always been perfectly stable on my end since day 1.

I suspected Ddos since the symptoms I experienced in those two games were the exact same as other Ddos attacks shared online (everything in-game stopping for a while, then loosing internet connection for a variable amount of time depending on the victim) and because it only happened during ranked matches (two in a row), which I know is the most targeted mode for these attacks. 

However I am still not discarding the possibility of the problem having been simply my internet provider doing stuff, but it seems really coincidental, which is why I have doubts, but it is not impossible. 

Long story short, if it wasn't Ddos, it was my internet provider doing maintenance or something else which interupted my connection.  Again, I am doubting this because it happened twice in a row after being in ranked matches, which I know is a heavily targeted mode for Ddos attacks, and it only ever happened to me then, in ranked games.  It is however not impossible that it was coincidental.  Somehow, I don't know which would frustrate me more haha!

Once I have free time after work I'll try it again and update, the servers seem to be operational for Quebec users now. 

Thank you and have a nice day

Message 3 of 5 (657 Views)

★★ Novice

@EA_Atic After testing it for some days now, I can safely say that, as coincidental as that was, the problem was indeed on my ISP's side.  I guess lady luck wasn't on my side that day.

Message 4 of 5 (627 Views)

EA DICE Team
Thanks for the update! also good to see it it was fixed. Standard smile @RealSirXander

/Atic
Message 5 of 5 (553 Views)