Re: DX12 Crash

by ggibb65

Original Post

DX12 Crash

★★★ Novice

Product: Star Wars Battlefront II
Platform:PC
What is your issue related to? General
Summarize your bug Anytime DirectX 12 is enabled, the game crashes on start up.
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? EwoksGoYubNub
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Can you tell us the date (MM/DD/YYYY) that you saw the bug? Ever since the Han Solo update
What time did you see the bug? (HH:MM AM/PM) ^
In what game mode did the bug occur? Campaign
What is your time zone? PST - GMT - 8:00
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Turn on DX12
What happens when the bug occurs? The game crashed
What do you expect to see? No crashing please.
Please select your region North America
AMD or Nvidia Model Number AXRX 580 4GBD5-3DHDV2/OC

I turn on DX12, I launch the game, it crashes. I have to go into the text files to change it back because I can't even get to the settings in game.

Message 1 of 19 (10,950 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@501-Captures Maybe this crash is the same type of crash as the one is this bug report; https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Game-keeps-crashing-when-playing-Hero-Showdown/m-p/6799250#M14... . Could you please post your findings in there, I did that too. There is a chance that our crashes are related and a resolution can be found.

Message 2 of 19 (10,916 Views)

★★★ Novice

Might be similar, pretty sure this is a DX12 problem as the game seems fine for me on DX11

Message 3 of 19 (10,891 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have the same problems but I don’t know how to fix it. I couldn’t even find the files

Message 4 of 19 (10,748 Views)

Champion
@Stevenwen613 - go to documents/starwars battlefront ii/settings and open the file called Bootoptions in windows notepad. The first line will be GSTRender.EnableDX12 if the next number is 1 change it to 0 and save the file. If it is already 0 then DX12 is disabled.
"I am not an EA employee. Just a fellow gamer trying to lend a helping hand. I don't know everything but will attempt to find a solution to your problem. If I have helped, please click on the XP button below. If I have solved your problem, Then click on the Accept as Solution Button. Have Fun."

★★★★ Novice

Not to be a *, but this just turns DX12 off.  I'm sure everyone wants to play BFII as it was designed to play....with DX12 cards (if you have one of course).  We want a fix that allows ppl to play BFII with DX12 on.  That is why we bought DX12 cards after all.

@Stevenwen613  I'm not saying your answer sucks.  For those that can't get the game to work, this will allow them to play the game provided this is a DX12 problem.  I'm really talking to EA/Dice.  They need to fix this problem.  See, I've been able to play BF2 until today.  I haven't played in a while and there was a new update in the past couple days and now I can't play it and I have an RTX 2080.  I even uninstalled the newest drivers 430.86 (at the time) and installed the 430.64 drivers.  Of course, this isn't a driver problem but a developer/publisher problem! 

Message 6 of 19 (10,553 Views)

★★ Novice

This issue exists to this day - 23/01/2020.  I have a new build.  i9 9900K. Maximus XI Hero mobo. 16GB RAM. 2070 Super.  Everything else I game plays like a dream - Battlefield 1 - glorious, in fact.  Battlefield 4.  Destiny.  The Witcher.  Warframe. Tomb Raider.  Getting bleeding-edge results in tests.  Download Battlefront 2 and the graphics are shot AF!  At one point, I had dynamic res on and I was getting av. 32FPS with Medium settings on!  I've been looking to mod the game, and there are mods out there, but they're dodgy, don't always work, are tricky to install with few instructions, and people pay HOW MUCH for this game?? For heaven's sake EA!  And how long does it take to fix this issue, or simply make a clear recommendation to users NOT to use DX12??  I was afraid my card was broken at one point.  I can't play the game with DX12 at all.  It crashes the moment the dungeon has been loaded and gaming commences.  Turn DX12 off and it's fine, apart from the fact you have to have dynamic resolution off.  And the frame rates at Ultra settings are terrible.  Unless I'm over-estimating my PC's capabilities, I should be able to play the game on ultra settings at well over 60 fps, and that's simply not the case.  This game needs a serious overhaul, even though it is great.  

Message 7 of 19 (9,738 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

There is a fix that worked for me with a Raedon RX 590 that also has a similar option Nvidia card users can switch or change that allowed dx12 to work for me.  This isn't any type of trolling, but I can't remember what it is.  I remember it from about a year ago and I was playing in Dx12 fine after having this same crashing issue.  I found the answer somewhere on a forum.   I switch my motherboard so settings were reset to original for just about everything, and now I can't remember what I changed that allowed me to play in dx12.  Dx11 version works just fine.  It was in the battlefront 2 forums i believe, (it ended up working for battlefield V too) for an nvidia users, but AMD has a simliar option...thatas all i can remember right now.  ain't that a biznitch

Message 8 of 19 (9,514 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@ggibb65 È possibile non avere una cartella di battlefront?
Message 9 of 19 (8,635 Views)

Champion
@alegugumic No. there should be a folder within your documents folder. If you can't find it do a search from windows file explorer. If it is definitely not on your PC, you may have to reinstall game.
"I am not an EA employee. Just a fellow gamer trying to lend a helping hand. I don't know everything but will attempt to find a solution to your problem. If I have helped, please click on the XP button below. If I have solved your problem, Then click on the Accept as Solution Button. Have Fun."