Re: Crashing to desktop

by Lv50PsychoMidget

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Crashing to desktop

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

NFS Payback keep crashing to desktop. It cashes mostly in the game menu(TAB).  What happens is that it just freezes and then i hear the windows error sound. Then i have to kill the game in taskmanager. No error message what so ever. This is after completing the last mission in the trail. 

I have bought the Delux edition of the game. 

This is the only game this have happend, and all my overclocks are stable and have been runnning 24/7

Tested without the overclocks, but the same thing happens there aswell.

All my drivers are up to date!

Running at max settings 1440p

UPDATE:

Seems like this error is something that i have in Mass Effect: Andromeda too. The very same crash to be exact.

Hopefully this error won't exist when the full game is released. Normaly i got a error saying that have run out of memory or something (512MB) something. Can't remember exact what is says since the error box won't show anymore.

Now it just crashes randomly while playing. If this is the case, the problem are in EA games in general. After spending hours researching the error instead of spending time playing the game itself i gave up.  If they don't care to fix the error on ME:Andromeda why should they care to fix it in this title. If Payback have the same issue i will refund it.

Computer:

cpu - i7 7800X

motherboard - X299 msi tomahawk arctic

ram - corsair vengance rgb 32GB 3000 mhz

gpu - MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X

Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Message 1 of 10 (11,521 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★ Novice

Think I've found a solution for Asus mobos and Nvidia cards.

Just to be sure, I clean installed Windows 10 again.

I have an Asus Ranger VII mother board and Gigabyte GTX 1080ti

Did a lot of elimination and what has worked for me now was:
- In BIOS, set "Multicore Enhancement" from Auto to Disabled

***  Multicore Enhancement sets max Turbo Boost and voltage up too all cores at the same time. Unless you need your CPU to be maxed all doing not much at all... turn this off.

- Right click desktop, click NVIDIA Control Panel, Click Manage 3D setting, scroll down to Power management mode, set to "Prefer maximum performance" and once done click Apply in the bottom right hand corner.

These settings have worked so far for me. Been able to play for hours with no crashing or exiting to desktop with no errors popping up.

Had tried:

- "Clean boot and no UAC" fix - failed

- No overclock on CPU and underclocking GPU - failed

- Lowering resolution and graphics setting - failed

I hope these settings help you out.

I've had this issue for quite some time and was really irritating me. I stumbled across a JayzTwoCents video about overlocking Pascal based graphics cards and Asus multicore enhancement, and it just clicked. I was probably drawing too much power for the CPU going full ham on all cores all the time. And was probably reaching a default power cap for the GPU regardless of using any overclocking software tweaks or not.

My simplified specs

Intel i7 4790K Devil's Canyon

Gigabyte GTX 1080Ti Aorus Extreme

Asus Ranger VII

16GB Ram

Asus MG279Q 144Hz Monitor

View in thread

Message 10 of 10 (12,634 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@Zincoonx

It is likely your GPU is factory overclocked. Running your hardware at stock clock speeds should result in greater game stability albeit with a relatively small reduction in performance.

barry.png
Message 2 of 10 (11,464 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I faced the same issue. My GPU is ASUS GTX1080Ti Strix.  How to run this gpu at stock clock?

Message 3 of 10 (11,441 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I am also experiencing CTD's with no errors or warnings. Nothing in event viewer also. Not sure what to do.

Stats:

2600k i7 stock clocks

MSI gaming x 1070 stock clocks

16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz stock timing

Message 4 of 10 (11,435 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I have a 1080TI asus strix aswell updated all the drives still crashing. The game stops working and crashes to destop without an error code or log. 

Gaming PC:
►Monitor 1: Samsung P2770
►Monitor 2: Samsung 22"
►Webcam: Logitech C910 HD-cam
►Main Board: Asus Maximus VI
►Processor: Intel i7 4770K @ 3.6Ghz
►Cooler: Corsair H100I
►Memory: 32GB Ripjaw cl9 DDR3 1333Mhz
►Sound: Sound Blaster Recon3D Champion
►Graphic Card 1: NVidea 1080TI GTX GDDR5
►Case: Coolermaster HAF X
►SSD1: Samsung Evo 840 1TB (Windows 8 64bit)
►HDD1: WD 320GB Document Disk
►HDD2: WD RED Bleu 3TB Game Disk

Gaming Gear
►Headphone 1: Logitech G933
►Keyboard 1: Logitech G19
►Mouse: Logitech G900
►Mousepad: Razor Steel Pad

Message 5 of 10 (11,428 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Think i found a solution to this problem. Seems stable atleast. I am not sure if it will work for everyone but it's worth a shot. 

In the graphic setting i just set it to "High" preset. And there are no problems anymore. 10-12 hours into the game now and it seems stable.

But the fact that i can't run it at max settings are just sad. It might be related to the out of memory error as i mentioned in the post, just without the error message.

And the game trying to pull more ram out of the GPU than it can handle. I don't know, just a wild guess.

Message 6 of 10 (11,724 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@EA_Barry wrote:

@Zincoonx

It is likely your GPU is factory overclocked. Running your hardware at stock clock speeds should result in greater game stability albeit with a relatively small reduction in performance.

EA games are the only games with this issue on my system. And if it can't run the game at "Out of the box" settings. You should really consider fixing it. There are nothing wrong with my system at all. Have been running 10-20 games at max settings 1440p without any problems. The problem are not in the hardware. It's in the software.

Message 7 of 10 (11,412 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Just gonna test this out now, will update my post if any crashes occur.

Cheers

Edit: confirmed working. No crashes as of yet.

Message 8 of 10 (11,405 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I started having this issue since Mass Effect Andromeda. And seriously haven't not played it since because of this issue.  I since then tried other Origin games in my library and all the "AAA" titles do the same thing: play for 5-20 mins then crash to desktop, no warning, no errors. 
Games i've tested:

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Battlefield 3,4 & 1

Mass Effect Andromeda

Mirrors Edge Catalyst

Battlefront 1 & 2

All games crashed in under 20 minutes.  Running returned to stock CPU (i7 4790K) and "gaming" mode (out of the box settings) on my Gigabyte GTX1080ti Aorus Extreme Edition @ 1440p.

Games NOT from EA run perfectly fine.  EA/Origin games used to run just fine until I played ME:A. 
This is a software issue, probably Origin itself.  I've numerous fixes but nothing has worked.  If i have to underclock my card to Founders edition clock just to run EA Games, then I want my money back and you EA to buy me a GTX1080Ti FE just to stay as a customer. 

You EA are losing customers, many of which, especially PC players, are longtime customers by not supporting them support you.  It seems you want everyone to only play on "consoles" by making games only work with PS4 and XBone.

Fix it.

***EDIT***

Underclocked my 1080Ti and no change.  Crashes within 20 mins

Asus Ranger VII

16GB Ram

Message 9 of 10 (11,244 Views)

★★ Novice

Think I've found a solution for Asus mobos and Nvidia cards.

Just to be sure, I clean installed Windows 10 again.

I have an Asus Ranger VII mother board and Gigabyte GTX 1080ti

Did a lot of elimination and what has worked for me now was:
- In BIOS, set "Multicore Enhancement" from Auto to Disabled

***  Multicore Enhancement sets max Turbo Boost and voltage up too all cores at the same time. Unless you need your CPU to be maxed all doing not much at all... turn this off.

- Right click desktop, click NVIDIA Control Panel, Click Manage 3D setting, scroll down to Power management mode, set to "Prefer maximum performance" and once done click Apply in the bottom right hand corner.

These settings have worked so far for me. Been able to play for hours with no crashing or exiting to desktop with no errors popping up.

Had tried:

- "Clean boot and no UAC" fix - failed

- No overclock on CPU and underclocking GPU - failed

- Lowering resolution and graphics setting - failed

I hope these settings help you out.

I've had this issue for quite some time and was really irritating me. I stumbled across a JayzTwoCents video about overlocking Pascal based graphics cards and Asus multicore enhancement, and it just clicked. I was probably drawing too much power for the CPU going full ham on all cores all the time. And was probably reaching a default power cap for the GPU regardless of using any overclocking software tweaks or not.

My simplified specs

Asus Ranger VII

16GB Ram

Message 10 of 10 (12,635 Views)