Re: Crashing to desktop - no error

by langley167

Original Post

Crashing to desktop - no error

★ Novice

Hi team,

I have seen crashes to desktop with no errors randomly throughout gameplay. Ive managed to play some solo story missions as well as dogfights (the dockyard seems to work fine). I set my Volumetric settings low and still have the issue. I have a brand new top of the line Alienware machine so running the game on ultra is a walk in the park (PC - Steam). 

Ive reinstalled and ensured all Bios, OS, and Video drivers are all up to date.

Spoke with the Chat Staff on EA support and got no-where.

I assume a fix is coming but its been an awful experience to have a new kick * game PC that wont even let me run my most anticipated game.

Let me know if there are any other work arounds and if not hopefully some timing on a fix?!

Message 1 of 4 (295 Views)

Community Manager

@slauta117 

Validating your games files is a good start: 

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335

If the issue persists, check on some OS metrics like CPU/GPU usage and temperature. 

If your Alienware does not have monitoring apps, Piriform Speccy is easy to use.

Thanks.

barry.png
Message 2 of 4 (248 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I can tell you right now nothing they suggest works.  I was struggling to get the game launched.  Reinstalled, repair, drivers, turn off everything yada yada.

The only thing that worked is randomly it loaded up one time and I was able to put it into window mode at 1920x1080.  I run at 5120 x 1440 .  So I have to play with a small screen in my big 49" monitor.

Yavin crashes in SP and MP every time if any other way is loaded.

Message 3 of 4 (231 Views)

★★ Novice

It may seem random, but it may be worth checking your Windows PageFile... I had exactly the same problem, made the game totally unplayable. Read about the effect of having a PageFile on Crashes To Desktop. I checked my system and I didn't have one (didn't think I'd need one with 16GB of 3600 RAM). Created a PageFile, allowed Win10 to manage the location/size and to my surprise it worked ! No more crashes so far, including at all of the points where I had experienced before... Have just spent the last hour playing the Fleet Battle Tutorial in VR on the RIFT S with no issues whatsoever. I just can't believe it was something so simple, and obscure...worth a try.

Message 4 of 4 (218 Views)