Re: Crash after update Season 1

by Igothe

Original Post

Community Manager (retired)

These are crashing in something besides Apex, but it's bringing Apex down with it. See post 1985 for more information:

@buzznose12 @karntuso @StTonyG @PotatoePEECEE @TheRipMasta 

Message 2051 of 2,184 (804 Views)

Re: Apex Legends Crash Report.

@kkusson, I just looked into this. I can't figure it out either. This is not related to any crash I've seen before. But, I'll tell you what I figured out.

You are crashing trying to execute an instruction at 34E40A. That's in the middle of an instruction starting at 34E409, so it shouldn't do that. The CPU should only execute the start of an instruction.

This is at the end of a recursive function (you can see the same address on the stack 7 times). The instruction at 34E409 is supposed to jump to a leaf handler for 0-7 items. Based on the register rax in the dump, I can see that you had 3 items, so it should jump to the 3-item handler.

The easiest way to execute the wrong instruction is for code to clobber the return address on the stack. However, I can tell that all the return addresses still on the stack are valid. In particular, the next return address is valid, so I can see what function that called. That should be the current function, and the crashing address is in there, even though it's in the middle of an instruction. Then, for return address corruption, the current function would have had to call another function that corrupted its return address. But the current function was actually reached by a recursive call, meaning the function called itself. In fact, the only function it calls is itself, and I see no way this code could corrupt a return address on the stack.

If you have more copies of apex_crash.txt from other crashes, that could be useful. Otherwise, I unfortunately don't see anything else I can do.

Message 2052 of 2,184 (802 Views)

Re: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION(write): 00007FF76F74F004

@TelBrut, thanks for this report. This is a unique crash. I've added a bug for it to be addressed by the appropriate engineer.

Message 2053 of 2,184 (800 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Thank you for confirming this.  I should have mentioned that I removed my overclock recently, so that is likely what has made my game more stable.  I sure would like to get that overclock back though...

Message 2054 of 2,184 (799 Views)

Re: Apex Legends Crash Report.

★★★ Newbie

Thank you OrioStorm ! I do not have any other Crash files. That's the only one and seems like the crash. txt files are overwriting on previous crash txt file.

Thank you !

Message 2055 of 2,184 (773 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@OrioStorm

So basically, what you're telling me is there's no fix as of yet?

I feel like I wasted my $40 and should probably take a break from the game at this time..

I sure hope there's an upcoming patch for these issues as I do enjoy the game a great deal.

Message 2056 of 2,184 (747 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Here

Message 2057 of 2,184 (725 Views)

★★ Novice

I crash approximately every 2-4 games.

Message 2058 of 2,184 (672 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Seems to fix the issue! Thank you.

Message 2059 of 2,184 (713 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Hello,

I was crashing so much more since last update.
After reading OrioStorm posts, figuring out that it was cpu side and another post of someone reporting to intel, I decided to update my motherboard bios (MSI z390). Since I did that I didn't have crash anymore after playing 2 hours. (I was crashing every 5-10 minutes before). 

Maybe it's a workaround? My old version was 7B17v12 and I updated to 7B17v15  https://fr.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-Z390-GAMING-PRO-CARBON#down-bios

I'll let you know if crashes come back.

Message 2060 of 2,184 (1,121 Views)