Re: Crash after update Season 1

by OrioStorm

Original Post

Community Manager (retired)

After the latest batch of crash logs, the following people are all running into a crash in an unknown DLL that is not Apex Legends, but that is loaded alongside Apex:

@TheRipMasta @ErionRo @lApproach @XfeuredX @rakokarp @Relynq 

Unfortunately, when we asked Windows for the name of the DLL, Windows didn't give us a response, so I can't say which DLL it is. I did check if the unnamed module was Apex in each case, and the crash callstack showed that it was not.

There are quite a few things that these DLLs could be from:

• Video card drivers
  • Audio drivers
  • In-game overlays
  • Video capture software
  • Antivirus software
  • Windows itself
  • ???

Unfortunately, since it's not crashing in our code, and Windows isn't even telling us what DLL is crashing, we can't do anything else to directly address these crashes. I hope this information helps you, and sorry I can't give you a better response!

Message 1991 of 2,184 (466 Views)

I don't know why post #1984 turned the numbers 1, 2 and 3 into a soccer ball, football, and basketball, respectively. I just wanted to put numbers in parentheses. I won't do that again!

Message 1992 of 2,184 (461 Views)

★★ Novice

So when you say lower by how much? My cpu is currently overclocked to 5.2ghz which very stable (roughly 36 of continual stress testing). Do you mean stock clock speeds? Or like 5.0? It’s annoying but I’ll set up a custom overclock profile in my bios for playing apex if it gets rid of these crashes. 

Message 1993 of 2,184 (454 Views)

@TheBroseph89, unfortunately I can see that you had a legitimate crash, but I can't do anything about it. I don't want to get too technical, but it looks like some other code overwrote a return address, so we started executing code in the middle of a function. I have no way of knowing what other code made this mistake, so I can't fix it. I'm sorry that I don't have better news. =(

Message 1994 of 2,184 (453 Views)

Thanks @TurkeyWithABan, this is a unique crash. I've deciphered the technical information and posted a bug for the relevant engineer to investigate.

Message 1995 of 2,184 (436 Views)

@SKSGaming124, thanks for your report. You crashed in Microsoft's speech API when Apex was quitting. This is a crash in Microsoft code, and it happens after Apex has quit, so there's nothing we can do about it. If there's a bright side, it's that at least this crash doesn't affect your ability to play!

Message 1996 of 2,184 (436 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@kyofunokami Check some of my posts, I would drop below 5.0 to maybe 4.8. I was crashing every few games at 5.0 GHz, no matter what voltages I set. You could revert to stock and slowly creep your way back up in 100 MHz increments. Make sure you increase vCore voltages, I found that I needed at least 1.25v to be stable at 4.8 GHz (1.28v in the BIOS).

Message 1997 of 2,184 (588 Views)

These people are getting the same Intel hardware issue I mentioned in post 1984, so I won't repeat all that info here:  @Luigi180321 @19cHiMeRa83 @koyamarc @FluFluWakaPeePee @congmmo @Addictedd @Dominix1910 @Alocaurd_TTV @patri0t86 @NuNuRika 

This person is getting the same issue with a crash in an unknown module that isn't Apex. I talked about that in post 1985, so I won't repeat all that info here: @VChristIsKingV

@Luigi180321 also got a unique crash. I've posted a bug to our internal database for that one.

Message 1998 of 2,184 (585 Views)

@Falkentyne, that's a pretty silly reason for Intel to dismiss a bug, and suggests they didn't take the time to consider our evidence, or the fact that a developer has been involved. A CPU bug can occur due to a specific sequence of instructions, including control flow. So it can easily show up in a patch when any instructions change, or even when just the data changes. The fact that it happens on many different Intel CPUs, but no AMD CPUs, even though Intel and AMD run the exact same code, should be enough to make it clear that it's an Intel issue and not a code issue. Add in the fact that Intel CPUs work correctly at lower clock speeds, and the evidence should be conclusive to anybody who takes time to consider it.

I'm trying to work with Intel through another channel too, so hopefully that will go somewhere.

Message 1999 of 2,184 (558 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@OrioStorm Interesting. I'll drop the O/C down to 4.8GHz and report back.

Message 2000 of 2,184 (545 Views)