Re: Crash after update Season 1

by Tv_Faya

Original Post

★ Apprentice

@OrioStorm 

@MrDakk 

Thank you for your reply. I have already found that the bugs do not happen when the i7 8700k @ stock. At least my overcloack at 5ghz is stable, I have no bug or crash on any other application. I invested in hardware, aio, motherboard (ROG), ram (3600mhz CAS17), graphics card (2080ti), power supply (gold), high quality, it's really hard to hear months after the release of the game , the only solution is that I have to reduce the performance of my pc! I thank you for continuing to try to solve this bug, and continue to optimize the game also for those who want perfection by preferring the PC platform to xbox and ps graphics.

Message 1981 of 2,184 (425 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

@Relynq, your crash is a new one I haven't seen before, inside our networking code. I've posted a bug in our database for somebody familiar with that code to look into it.

Message 1982 of 2,184 (416 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@Tv_Faya 

You aren’t going to have any noticeable difference between 4.8GHz and 5.0GHz, I can promise you that. You might gain 1% or maybe 2% if you’re lucky.

My PC is more powerful than yours and I would rather have stable experience, so I reduced my i9-9900k from 5 to 4.8GHz.

Message 1983 of 2,184 (409 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@OrioStorm 

Unfortunately, my attempt to get Intel to recognize this as a bug in their microcode completely failed.

I called Intel on the phone, got a ticket open and referred them to this and your other thread where you were posting information.

However after review, I got this reply:

Hello Falkentyne (edited my real name)

Thank you for your response,

We are really sorry for all the problems that you are experiencing on the game Apex Legends, after reviewing the information we have determine that the game crashing problems started after the APEX LEGENDS SEASON 1 Update. The feedback is already submitted to Electronic Arts Inc. (EA) by the community members, our recommendation for know is to wait for an Update Patch to be released by EA. Please contact EA Support to get information about future update release dates.

Intel provides Microcodes Updates to the Motherboard Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) which they later release on the BIOS Updates. Please contact your motherboard OEM to get information about your next BIOS Update version, fixes and future releases.

I will proceed to close this case; if you have any other questions please do not hesitate on contacting us back.

Best Regards,

Andres G.
Intel Customer Support Technician
Under Contract with Intel Corporation 
 ===========================

@OrioStorm wrote:

I'm in the process of looking over the crash logs in this post, starting at the end and working my way back. So far, all these crashes are the Intel CPU crash.

@OmniBallistix 

@DJSlumo 
@TheTurbopolyp 

@tumor_0 

@DvS-Diablo 

@twitch_nootstuff 
@umz24 
@Tv_Faya 

@solrflar 

@TheCoachPotato 

@ERUziON

As mentioned in another thread, these are always fixed by lowering your clock speed, even if you aren't overclocking. That is the one and only known fix. It appears to be a timing flaw in Intel hardware executing a specific instruction sequence. It isn't related to the program being too intense for the CPU, or to Apex doing anything wrong.

We are trying to change this function to not expose this crash on Intel CPUs in a future patch, but I can't promise when that change will come out.

Message 1984 of 2,184 (384 Views)

Re: APEX crush

@LoganTBW, your crash is one I haven't seen before. It's in code related to voice chat. I've posted a bug for the relevant programmer to investigate.

Message 1985 of 2,184 (373 Views)

Re: Game Keeps Crashing - 3 times in a row

@Jpattyc, your crash is also a unique one. It's crashing inside Microsoft's D3D11 DLL. This happens when our code calls PSSetShaderResource. Unfortunately, since our code isn't crashing, it doesn't look like there's anything I can do.

All I can suggest is to make sure you have the latest version of your graphics drivers and D3D11 runtime; it looks like you and I have different versions of D3D11, because the instruction at that address in my version couldn't generate the crash you reported from your version.

Message 1986 of 2,184 (372 Views)

@Riveliia, it looks like yours crashed because we made a D3D call to look at some memory, and that call failed. I've added code to handle the call failing, so this crash won't happen again, once that change makes it into a future patch. Thank you for reporting this so that we can make the game more stable!

Message 1987 of 2,184 (449 Views)

@Sisyfist, that looks like a crash in Origin's in-game overlay. I've forwarded the information as best as I can to the Origin team.

Message 1988 of 2,184 (445 Views)

@AOD_CobaltSteel thanks for the bug, I've added it to our internal bug database so that the appropriate person can address it.

Message 1989 of 2,184 (440 Views)

After another batch of crash logs, the following people are all running into a known flaw with Intel chips:

@zzilis @FatSpacePanda @Haraldovic37 @patthickey @Shiva_hunter @BansheeSidh @Krazy_Kris19 @Stunod_is_THICC @TheHebrewH4mmer @w0lrath @TR_Scrapper @POF_Wyjakx @Trocaderowned @kyofunokami @TypeOne55 @VerifiedThad @firePoWo

Unfortunately, the only known solution to this problem is to reduce your clock speed. To summarize the results of much investigation, this crash appears to be an Intel flaw because Soccer ball it is reported frequently and exclusively on Intel chips, Football the crash is always impossible for a properly functioning CPU, and Basketball reducing the clock speed always fixes the problem. There's something about the instructions in this function that causes Intel chips to fail about 0.0000001% of the time, but this code runs enough that it makes the game crash a lot.

Believe me, I don't like blaming CPUs, because Intel and AMD are really good at making reliable CPUs. However, in this case, I think the evidence is pretty conclusive that there's a rare hardware flaw for this code sequence. Also, it doesn't have to be strenuous code to run into a flaw like this, it just has to be unlucky.

I'm looking into changing this function to do the same thing in a slightly different way in a future patch, hoping that change will be enough to completely avoid the Intel flaw. But again, until that happens, the only known fix is to lower your CPU clock speed.

Message 1990 of 2,184 (371 Views)