Re: apex leggend cpu problem plese HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by NoSimpsAllowed

Original Post

apex leggend cpu problem plese HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

★★★ Newbie

when i try to start apex legends error pops up and says cpu does not gave popcnt and saw that this proble is for all cpu that were  realesed until 2008 and from 2008 all cpus are working fro apex legends and there is not error but bu cpu is mane in 2008 and the error pops up and I don't know qwhat to do.

Message 511 of 586 (3,177 Views)

★ Guide
hey its been a while
I see nothing changed yet
who cares about this game anymore honestly
Message 512 of 586 (2,858 Views)

★ Guide

@SorenalikeExactly!  The player base plummeted.  EA didn't do anything to improve this game whether on the CPU end or the actual game itself.  EA is a joke.  Who cares about Apex Legends is right.

Message 513 of 586 (2,845 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I have an Intel quad Q9550 with 8GB of RAM and a geforce 1070TI on it and a the best mother of that moment. I play Fortnite at 120 fps at full. My processor is old but is an old Ferrari. Old Ferrari win a lot of new cars. The SSE4.1 instruction requeriment to play APEX basically is discriminate old CPUs that still have great perfomance and can be use with good graphic cards like a 1070TI.

I personally compare and test same games using a PC with a new Core I5 + 1070TI VS Q9550 + 1070TI and there are only 5 or 7 fps of difference. APEX make a big mistake blocking old CPUs. Old doesn't mean it has low performance!!, and ALL the test of games using SSE2 vs the SSE 4.1 demostrate that you dont have any perfomance benefit using SSE 4.1 instead of SSE2.0, some games only have 2FPS of difference on tests using SSE2.0 vs SSE4.1 and is not that's not enough justification to block old but good CPUs.

Message 514 of 586 (2,752 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

@Player_mr148lep

We all are still waiting for some news about this as well, but sadly they don't care.Frown

My guess is that EA signed a deal with Intel to not support old CPUs to force us to upgrade.

So just keep playing Fortnite, Dauntless, Overwatch, whatever... until EA decides to finally fix this. Or close servers. Whichever comes sooner :D

Message 515 of 586 (2,675 Views)

★★★ Guide

@SnowSky1 

The game development community is surprisingly tight, and even within EA we can see a game (Anthem) which added post-launch support to fix this.

So let's hope EA's producers and liaisons to Bioware and Respawn talk to each other about solving this same CPU compatibility issue in Apex Legends.

Until then, we'll be playing Blackout, Firestorm, PUBG, Fortnite, Dauntless, Overwatch, etc. on adequately-spec'd PCs that are affected by this POPCNT issue.

Message 516 of 586 (2,631 Views)

★★ Expert

never heard of it...What kind of computer are you using....Tandy 1000?

Heart

Message 517 of 586 (2,619 Views)

Re: Cpu does not have POPCNT! help

★★★★★ Newbie

Now this to me is funny.  You have a gaming company, that COULD be making extra 10's of thousands of dollars of revenue by rewriting a couple of lines of gaming code, to comply with a MULTITUDE of users that want to play this game and buy extras. Instead, they choose not to. The other OBVIOUSLY funny thing here is the 'fanboys' that keep telling everyone that they need to upgrade. (insert the person in this forum that has claimed as much and we'll call him 'fanboy'.)  Well guess what fanboys, you ain't getting paid, so it really doesn't matter what you say because you are wrong. On my 'old' QX9650 I can play Mordhau,Observation,Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, Anno 1800,Outward, Baba is You, Heaven's Vault,Slay the Spire, Yakuza Kiwami 2, The Division 2, Rainbow Six Siege, CS:GO, Warframe, Destiny 2, Armored Warfare, World of Tanks and many other updated 2019 titles. My frame rates may not hit 60+, but they average around 40 or so with my build which is good enough for gaming. So for the 'elitist BS'ers/fanboys' in here, that may have been born with a silver spoon in there mouth and can count on mommy and daddy to buy them a new PC every couple of years, guess what... a LOT of us have to face REAL LIFE.  We build our own PC's!  We do NOT have anything spoon fed to us as you have.  WE have to save up 3-6 months to buy a new video card. WE HAVE to SAVE UP A YEAR OR MORE to do fully updated PC build.  WE do NOT have the 'luxury' that your trash spewing silver spooned mouth has, that OUR  PC's are old/outdated.  So the next time before you speak, take a freaking breath, and think about how many people, how many of US, are out here in the gaming world saving our 'nickels & dimes', to buy OUR next 'updated system' or PC part.  When you can have the HUMILITY, and the knowledge to speak as such, then I might listen to what you might have to say.  Until then, do us all a favor and be QUIET.  Because the trash coming out of your mouth doesn't help any of us.

Message 518 of 586 (2,594 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@z1rk06n0v wrote:

"hey i have an intel core2extreme X9650 does that have support "

@trakgamer12  "On my 'old' QX9650 I can play Mordhau,Observation,Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, Anno 1800,Outward, Baba is You, Heaven's Vault,Slay the Spire, Yakuza Kiwami 2, The Division 2, Rainbow Six Siege, CS:GO, Warframe, Destiny 2."

You should overclock that sucker too! :eahigh_file:

But to answer your question, POPCNT will likely be a obstacle for you, preventing you from even launching Apex Legends.

"QX9650

• These models feature an unlocked clock multiplier.
  • All models support: MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE4.1 Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology (EIST), Intel 64 XD bit, iAMT2 (Intel Active Management), Intel VT-x
  • Intel VT-d supported by: QX9650"

^ Similar to other higher end natural quads from that C2Q/Xeon generation, the game will not be compatible with your CPU due to its compiler flag settings being poorly assigned - using POPCNT for a trivial task. It would require a patch update.

A number of big, recent AAA games have added post-launch support for older processors, refactoring their SSE instruction set dependencies to permit compatibility with said processors.

Apex Legends is not among them.

Message 519 of 586 (3,500 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hah, I was looking up the date in which CPUs first supported POPCNT and actually came across this thread. You guys are pretty funny!

It is a possibility that perhaps POPCNT is used unnecessarily, that it could be replaced by other logic, and that may or may not be true. If it is true, though, you just wont to run into the real possibility the game takes advantage of another SSE 4.2 instruction, and as such fails. The existence of an error message (instead of an outright crash) for POPCNT leads me to believe that the developers are aware of the use of SSE 4.2 instructions, and as such have placed the message instead of just having the program crash when the CPU encounters it, instead of the use of POPCNT just being some random fluke.

For those of you wondering why the game won't run without this instruction: yes, this instruction could be emulated by other instructions not present within SSE at all, but programming the game to not take advantage of that instruction set is like maintaining a game for Windows XP. There are some people on Windows XP, but maintaining the game so that it runs on XP and modern software will hurt those who use Windows 10. To make it clear, with the exception of about 4 CPUs in the Core2 lineup (out of 100? Maybe more?), all consumer Intel CPUs which do not support are, at the very least, 10 years old. You can verify this on the wikipedia page, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_2_microprocessors. Its successor, i3/i5/i7 CPUs, all support SSE4.2 from their first generation (late 2008 for i7 release, early 2010 for i3 release, iirc).

To use an example from a recent post, the QX9650. This is an extremely high-end CPU from 2007 and while CPU improvements have slowed down in recent years, newer CPUs still have new features which can be taken advantage of which old CPUs lack.

The hard truth is that no, EA is not colluding with Intel or AMD to make you buy a new CPU, at least not just by using POPCNT. And that yes, you will have to buy a new CPU. It's very likely that most CPUs, with maybe the exception of the $1000 super-high-end 2007 CPU, are going to run at a far from playable speed even if POPCNT was not used. Likely, with more modern games coming out this is likely going to happen more and more for those who don't support POPCNT. I found a used Intel i3-550 CPU for $14.25 on Newegg (which should technically run the game, but I wouldn't recommend it), and I found the minimum spec, the i3-6300 for $168 (though instead of purchasing that because it is the minimum, I would recommend getting and Intel Core i5-9400F, or other similar newer CPU. The 9400F is actually cheaper at $160 currently). The reason Fortnite and some other games even run as well as they do on such old CPUs is probably to be attributed to the games' cartoonish stylistic theme, while Apex Legends has a much more demanding and realistic graphical style.

This thread is good reading material though.

Message 520 of 586 (3,201 Views)