Re: Cpu does not have POPCNT! help

by Sorenalike

Original Post

Re: Why does the game need CPUs that support POPCNT instructions?

★★★ Guide

The problem with #2 is that it's false, and can't be applied as a rule.

As in, people have high-end C2Qs and Xeon quads that take a dump on many CPUs that are compatible with Apex.

So the "for competitive reasons" could never be used as a blanket response.

Message 211 of 586 (618 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@RevGunthak wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------

You don't get it. I want my Xeon 5470 to receive compatibility because it's my co-op PC downstairs.

--------------------------------------------------------------

And I'm sure quite a few people want their 1994 Mustang to be able to out drag a GTR. 

@RevGunthak wrote:

In every other major battle royale game on the market, the Xeon is active and good to go.

How many of those games are Apex?

@RevGunthak wrote:

Part 1 - Nonsense analogy, as that machine has both a proper CPU and GPU, as evidenced by the 2019-era AAA video games it plays.

Anything that doesn't support your argument is 'nonsense'. The fact that it doesn't play Apex is proof otherwise.

@RevGunthak wrote:

Part 2 - Nonsense analogy, as my operating system is a fully updated Windows 10 in that machine, and games that don't run are in the minority. A very small minority.

I can put Windows 10 on my phone, does that mean it should be supported as well? Or do you think it's a nonsense analogy because you didn't get the point of it? Android updates are not purely based on software. Some hardware is not supported in newer versions. I shouldn't have to explain this, but you're shown that you're completely oblivious to the point of things, you just start making strawman arguments as if they matter. 

Message 212 of 586 (784 Views)

★ Guide
@Psyrecx
what is your problem why are you trying so hard to stop us from playing this awesome game ? we got nothing against you but you are not helping we are here to get help... you don't have to join these topics
as we said "performance" is not the issue here
These cpu's are more than enough to run these type of games
Message 213 of 586 (764 Views)

★ Guide

@Sorenalike wrote:
@Psyrecx
what is your problem why are you trying so hard to stop us from playing this awesome game ? we got nothing against you but you are not helping we are here to get help... you don't have to join these topics
as we said "performance" is not the issue here
These cpu's are more than enough to run these type of games

I already gave reasons as to why it's a bad idea for them to do so. What is with you people who refuse to upgrade, ignoring everything that doesn't support your want to not?

It's almost as if the only acceptable answer is the one you want. Yes, performance probably isn't the issue. Performance isn't the only advancements in technology. You can stomp your feet all day about the performance numbers, and it won't help you achieve anything. Confirmation bias is not a smart form of debate.

Message 214 of 586 (757 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@Psyrecx 

Haha, I was wondering when you'd bust out the accusation of "strawman arguments" and you didn't disappoint.

Right on schedule.

Strawmen claims don't have rich technical and anecdotal evidence for addressing POPCNT, such as:

*Black Ops IV
*Final Fantasy XV
*Resident Evil 7
*Agents of Mayhem
*Dishonored 2
*Mafia 3
*EDF
*Metal Gear Solid V
*No Man's Sky
*PUBG

All of these games have been patched and can now be launched on the affected machines.

Users with adequate specs had a compatibility problem, not a performance problem.

Private coders testify that this is a trivial problem with an easy fix, all the sources indicate it is as easy as

simply setting "-arch=SSE2 -axSSE4.1,SSE4.2,SSSE3,SSE3" instead of something like "-march=corei7" in the compiler options.

To further put to rest the 'performance' angle, one example of a machine affected by POPCNT:

Intel Xeon X5470 quad at 3.8 GHz.

16 GB of fast DDR3 system RAM.

RX 580 graphics card w/ 8 GB VRAM

This spec runs all these games at 1080p / High / 60fps:

PUBG

Fear the Wolves

Fortnite

H1Z1

DOOM

Killing Floor 2

Destiny 2

The Witcher 3

Dark Souls 3

GTA V

Dishonored 1/2

Deus Ex HR/Mankind Divided

Prey

Final Fantasy XIV and XV

Resident Evil 2 Remake

+ many more

RE: Minimum Requirements and POPCNT  -

When computationally it's not a performance issue here, we are actually talking about an addressable compatibility problem.

With a (recent and valid) multi-game track record of solved compatibility for POPCNT.

Message 215 of 586 (879 Views)

★ Guide
@Psyrecx
You need to consider that its not a possibility for everyone to upgrade and yeah maybe ppl can afford a CPU but what about mainboard, ram etc ?
Not everyone got a rich daddy to fix that for them... its a budget build which can run pretty much everything at 60fps 1080p... if there was no way for them to fix it pretty sure everyone would accept that and move along... all we want is a legit answer from EA team that they can't do it thats all or thats what i want... we just wanna know if its possible or not .. are they going to fix it ? or not ? this is a awesome game thats why we really want an answer. well if they don't want us here they could just tell us to go away
Message 216 of 586 (877 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@Sorenalike wrote:
@Psyrecx
You need to consider that its not a possibility for everyone to upgrade and yeah maybe ppl can afford a CPU but what about mainboard, ram etc ?

Yes, some people can't upgrade. Not everything is made for everybody.

@Sorenalike wrote:

Not everyone got a rich daddy to fix that for them... its a budget build which can run pretty much everything at 60fps 1080p...

Yes, some people have to work for things, much like your parents. Maybe it's time you got a job if you want things. You think Lamborghini should just give you one of their cars to play around it because you had a bad upbringing?

@Sorenalike wrote:
 all we want is a legit answer from EA team that they can't do it thats all or thats what i want... we just wanna know if its possible or not .. are they going to fix it ? or not ? this is a awesome game thats why we really want an answer. well if they don't want us here they could just tell us to go away

They have, it's called System Requirements.

Message 217 of 586 (849 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I already do have a job .. jesus.. you are like one of those rich boys aren't you ? money value is not exactly the same everywhere you need to grow up
I don't even wanna argue about it with you .. do as you wish you highness
System Requirements is just a recommendation

Message 218 of 586 (826 Views)

★ Guide

@RevGunthak wrote:

Haha, I was wondering when you'd bust out the accusation of "strawman arguments" and you didn't disappoint.

Right on schedule.

Strawmen claims don't have rich technical and anecdotal evidence for addressing POPCNT, such as:

So, in other words, you knew you were making strawman arguments. Strawman arguments can have evidence. Lack of evidence isn't what makes something a strawman argument. Perhaps, you should look up what they are, because clearly you've got the wrong fallacy in you mind, though, I do imagine there's probably fairly more you frequently use.

Message 219 of 586 (777 Views)

Re: Why does the game need CPUs that support POPCNT instructions?

★★★★★ Novice
Thanks for the info bro!
Message 220 of 586 (548 Views)