Re: Delete the game or wait ?!

by Raellin

Original Post

Re: Cpu does not have POPCNT! help

★★ Apprentice

It is very simple, the hardware based instruction popcnt, is an optimization for a specific  operation known as Population count, everything practically ever compiled that works with older cpus , uses a software based version of this, by default GCC and many other compilers use their own implementation of  popcnt.  you have to explicitly ENABLE popcnt support or target a system using -march=native that has hardware support for popcnt to make this issue appear.

There are 2 ways of fixing this problem, either set the compiler being used, to not use the popcnt instruction which is as easy as adding -mno-popcnt to the compiler flags, which will incur a >2% performance hit, if at all, or  add a a few of lines of code to use a different version of population count if an older cpu is detected. both of which are something any incompetent oaf can do.

this whole thing is frankly ridiculous

if you understand high-school level algebra you can see that this function is stupidly simple.

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/population_count

I have refrained from posting until now because i thought " there is no way they wont fix this "

but it seems there is some-kind of major communication problem within ea's management, hopefully you guys will figure that stuff out, before it further degrades your PR's reputation.

not impressed.

Message 121 of 586 (1,523 Views)

★★★ Guide

@AlphaSoda  Yep, this is it.

Respawn just needs to get around to assigning it to someone.

As the launch chaos/honeymoon phase relaxes a bit, some resources will free up.

Message 122 of 586 (1,489 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

I should also add that , the native popcnt instruction isn't even really faster on modern cpus

https://github.com/WojciechMula/sse-popcount/blob/master/results/skylake/skylake-i7-6700-gcc5.3.0-av...

here is a table of various popcnt implementations being benchmarked on a modern cpu and in not one the native popcnt instruction actually wins, while this will not be the same across all compilers, the fact is , there is virtually no reason to use the native hardware instruction, it can even make your code slower!

Message 123 of 586 (1,465 Views)

★★★ Newbie

just delete this game, only valve kind developer on this earth,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,forget apexlegend ,,, go for teamfortress

Message 124 of 586 (1,528 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Wait for patch SSE4.2. EV come on! In fact, SSE4.1 can be considered first. Restriction configuration also needs to be improved step by step!

Message 125 of 586 (1,715 Views)

★★★ Newbie
it happend too me
Message 126 of 586 (1,775 Views)

Delete the game or wait ?!

★★★ Newbie

Core 2 Quad q9400 ...cpu does not have popcnt
the question is .. do i wait for a new patch to solve this problem or just delete the game ?

Message 127 of 586 (1,666 Views)

Re: Delete the game or wait ?!

★ Apprentice

I just uninstalled mine, gonna go play fortnite or w/e I can find till they eventually fix the issue.. Hopefully by that time the hype of the game hasn't died down..

Message 128 of 586 (1,855 Views)

Hero

@AlphaSoda wrote:

It is very simple, the hardware based instruction popcnt, is an optimization for a specific  operation known as Population count, everything practically ever compiled that works with older cpus , uses a software based version of this, by default GCC and many other compilers use their own implementation of  popcnt.  you have to explicitly ENABLE popcnt support or target a system using -march=native that has hardware support for popcnt to make this issue appear.

There are 2 ways of fixing this problem, either set the compiler being used, to not use the popcnt instruction which is as easy as adding -mno-popcnt to the compiler flags, which will incur a >2% performance hit, if at all, or  add a a few of lines of code to use a different version of population count if an older cpu is detected. both of which are something any incompetent oaf can do.

this whole thing is frankly ridiculous

if you understand high-school level algebra you can see that this function is stupidly simple.

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/population_count

I have refrained from posting until now because i thought " there is no way they wont fix this "

but it seems there is some-kind of major communication problem within ea's management, hopefully you guys will figure that stuff out, before it further degrades your PR's reputation.

not impressed.

Thanks for the interesting post @AlphaSoda 

I have a question, hope you don't mind.

The game complaining about the CPU not having POPCNT is probably just the first instruction it checks for and many others are also needed which also would need software implementations that cause performance hits.

Do you think there's a chance that the accumulative effect of all these performance hits to all these old systems (that already would struggle with the game) could render the game pretty much unplayable anyway, making the support for these old CPUs pointless?

carbonic signature

Message 129 of 586 (2,773 Views)

Re: POPCNT error

★★★ Novice
P.S. After spending a lil time reading thru the wikipedia I've found out that the only difference between a SSE4.1 and SSE4.2 is the addition of 2-3 new commands that don't do much of an impact on the performance of the processor or any game for that matter. So the "patch" could rather be a hotfix taking a few mins. Your fans and players are waiting! :3
Message 130 of 586 (2,707 Views)