Re: CPU does not have POPCNT

by MiileyCyruss

Original Post

Re: Any hope for non-popcnt cpu support?

★★★★ Apprentice

I'm wondering about this too. Although I have a Core2Quad CPU and not a  Xeon one. Any hope for a patch? Or nope and we all should uninstall it and just keep playing overwatch? 

Message 71 of 586 (2,490 Views)

Hero

@MiileyCyruss wrote:

why is this post solved, where's the solution? because the emulation of popcnt and bypassing hte anticheats seems not a solution.

Well hi @MiileyCyruss and welcome to Answers HQ.

Posts on Answers HQ can be marked as solutions for a bunch of reasons. If it's an ongoing issue they EA can mark as solved to highlight a post that gives information you should know. Sometimes it's the best workaround to an issue. Sometimes it's how to fix what's wrong with ones computer, console or network to make the problem go away. In this case it was the correct information that the issue is there because the user is using hardware that are below the minimum requirements.

I can recommend reading https://answers.ea.com/t5/help/faqpage for more information on how Answers HQ work or you can ask in https://answers.ea.com/t5/AHQ-Discussion/bd-p/AHQ-Discussion

carbonic signature

Message 72 of 586 (2,699 Views)

Re: Cpu does not have POPCNT! help

★★ Novice

It is incredible!!!! I Can't play with my Q8400. I can play Fortnite, Overwatch, ...

We need a solution!!!!

Message 73 of 586 (2,681 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@Carbonic wrote:

Well hi @MiileyCyruss and welcome to Answers HQ.

Posts on Answers HQ can be marked as solutions for a bunch of reasons. If it's an ongoing issue they EA can mark as solved to highlight a post that gives information you should know. Sometimes it's the best workaround to an issue. Sometimes it's how to fix what's wrong with ones computer, console or network to make the problem go away. In this case it was the correct information that the issue is there because the user is using hardware that are below the minimum requirements.

I can recommend reading https://answers.ea.com/t5/help/faqpage for more information on how Answers HQ work or you can ask in https://answers.ea.com/t5/AHQ-Discussion/bd-p/AHQ-Discussion

----

Seriously, that's your best answer? Okay, so that's mine:

There's a function over all forums to highlight a post, is called "Pin" and it eventually pins up the post to the first page. I think is simply stupid mark a post as solved (About a issue.) if it's obviously not solved, it generates confussion over the users, and even morally is a sassy lie. So, don't lie to us, the * issue is not solved. When you solve it, then mark it as solved if you want. The reality here is pretty different. A lots of users are having this * issue. SO SOLVE IT.

Message 74 of 586 (2,669 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@MiileyCyruss wrote:

Seriously, that's your best answer? Okay, so that's mine:

There's a function over all forums to highlight a post, is called "Pin" and it eventually pins up the post to the first page. I think is simply stupid mark a post as solved (About a issue.) if it's obviously not solved, it generates confussion over the users, and even morally is a sassy lie. So, don't lie to us, the * issue is not solved. When you solve it, then mark it as solved if you want. The reality here is pretty different. A lots of users are having this * issue. SO SOLVE IT.

You can pin entire threads but not just a single post in a thread.

You can see the slogan on the top of the page "Ask. Answer. Level up." People ask, people answer, best answer gets accepted and the question is marked as solved with a solution.

It's how the forum works, Answers HQ is a place where gamers help fellow gamers, it's not a list of bugs and potential new features that then gets marked when they are fixed/implemented.

It's not "morally sassy" or a lie, there's the minimum specs required to play the game and sadly lots of people are on older or slower computers than those minimum specs. I know you are frustrated but you are not asking for a bug to be fixed, you are asking them to change the engine and somehow make it possible to lower the minimum specifications required to play the game. You are asking for an extra feature, not for something to be fixed - and that's fine, there's nothing wrong with wanting that and asking the developers to do that (and I hope they can), but there's also nothing wrong with telling people why they currently can't play when they ask, that doesn't make that answer any less correct.

The "technical issues" section is probably not the best place to ask though, it's for gamers wanting to help other gamers with technical issues.

carbonic signature

Message 75 of 586 (2,640 Views)

★★★★ Novice
But is not about the minimum specs, I have a really bad PC and I can play Apex, my CPU is lower than my friend CPU, but his CPU has not the POPCNT instruction, is not about the power of your machine, is about the develop of the software, my friend can play fortnite, overwatch, battlefield 4 with maximum features. Just his CPU has not the POPCNT instruction.
Message 76 of 586 (2,627 Views)

★★★★ Novice
I am waiting for a solution.
Message 77 of 586 (2,643 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Exactly. Lack of _development_.
Message 78 of 586 (2,640 Views)

POPCNT on an I7?

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

just finished downloading the game and saying me my processor needs POPCNT.

i have an i7 and apparently this only happens on old processors.

someone have an idea?

Message 79 of 586 (1,806 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@Prince_Xainesaid:

"The downsides of a LGA 775 system:

1. Processor:

2. Motherboard:

3. Memory:

4. Chassis:

5. Price/Performance:

-------------------------------------------------------------

I dunno man. It's like you presume PC users leave their machines as-is.

- My Xeon X5470 quad is inside a socket 775 motherboard (Nvidia 790i Ultra x3 SLI).

- It has SSE 4.1, which is a turn-key instruction to emulating POPCNT.

- The Xeon is clocked at 3.8 Ghz with headroom for more.

- One of the fast SLI-ready PCIexpress slots is indeed perfect for Sata III, and SSD.

- The motherboard received an update long ago allowing for 16 GB of RAM, and that's what I have.

- To reiterate, 16 GB of RAM in this 775 motherboard.

- It's also fast DDR3 ram, and the board allows for easy memory overclocking (past base 1600Mhz).

- Paired with an AMD RX 580 8GB card, I have 24 GB of total physical memory in this 775 system.

- As for the chassis, what a strange observation. A motherboard is a motherboard, a case is a case.

I have beautiful Noctua fans, multiple air filters, and - not to show off - really efficient cable management.

A smart Coolermaster case.

As for "It's just barely functional compared to a modern processor" -

I will point you to real, non-exaggerated, 1080p/High settings/60 frame per second gaming in these titles:

The Witcher 3

Dark Souls 3

GTA V

PUBG

Fear the Wolves

Fortnite

H1Z1

DOOM

Killing Floor 2

Destiny 2

Dishonored 1/2

Deus Ex HR/Mankind Divided

Prey

Final Fantasy XIV and XV

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Etc.

^ Not "barely functional". Highly functional and enjoyable. People have put GTX 980 Ti and GTX 1080 in these rigs for 1440p/60fps/4K 30fps gaming as well.

The Rx 580 is my limit for that PC, as I have a 1080p display for it. Plus, it's a very comfortable 1080p spec.

As for cost? Well, sometimes that's the beauty of PC gaming. When you buy a workhorse gaming rig, it's often built to last many, many years with upgradability and spec tweaking.

You defray the cost of upgrades over several years.

That's my "co-op partner" PC downstairs, and I take some pride in how performant it still is - with a little upgrading, power tweaking, and good maintenance. 

That's reflected in its ability to run many state-of-the-art AAA games of 2018-19 quite well.

(It's a great media/HTPC, too, often filling that role).

Your post speaks to stock 775 boards and presumes little-to-zero modifications.

Message 80 of 586 (2,509 Views)