Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Cora Harper: Asari Ark Transponder Bug.

by JayBroxigar

Original Post

Re: Cora Harper: Asari Ark Transponder Bug.

★★★★ Novice

=====

So allow me to wrap this up. We all had this game breaking bug. It took them 15 days to patch it. It was a rather simple issue that could have been hotfixed over night of the original report. All of this with along the way no response from EA or the devs themselves. Now they deserve a slap on the shoulder? Bull.*. From here on i'm pirating mybioware games. Cheers to you all.

=====

The amount of "dumb" mixed with hubris and outright entitlement in this post is astounding.  I applaud you sir for being both exceptionally obnoxious, un-knowledgable and down right demanding all at the same time...you're the child king sitting on his throne demanding that his court jester stop the incoming army because you deem it should be so...and are then astounded when it doesn't happen.

"So allow me to wrap this up."

Sure

"We all had this game breaking bug."

Which was not game breaking since there are plenty of people who were able to continue playing the game (and even completing it) even with this happening.  See all the people posting about saves 10 hours back.

" It took them 15 days to patch it."

Yes, i'm sure that the entirety of Bioware worked non-stop for 15 days straight to fix this ONE BUG.  That ABSOLUTELY Makes sense...

I'm also certain that a bug with a very clear and easy work around (just reload and run in vs. standing back and sniping) would have made a LOT of sense for a hot-fix...because I'm sure QAing a new build of a 200+ hour game ALONE couldn't have taken more than a few minutes.

" It was a rather simple issue"

You have access to the code base?  Upon what grounds exactly are you making the statement that it was a "simple issue"?  Or is this the standard  "It must have been simple because I say it was simple!" (See the child king comment above).

"that could have been hotfixed over night of the original report."

Again, do you have access to the code base?  What IS the time it takes for a 200+ hour AAA game to compile?  I'm curious.  What is the exact build time on Mass Effect: Andromeda's Code base?  Did the zone require re-rendering due to the bug?  How long did that take?  And while you're answering that, I'm curious:  Does Bioware use Jenkins to build their software or do they use some other CI tool?

How many people work at Bioware/EA on these forums?  Do they hire a new person for each new bug report that gets posted or do you think that maybe there's a possibility that this post might not have been seen for a few hours or two?  What is the Bioware agreed upon time to completion for a given bug fix?  I'm surprised they have one...

"All of this with along the way no response from EA or the devs themselves."

I'm going to make the assumption you're not in a technical field or, actually, employed in any way.  So to fill you in, when a problem arises the most efficient method by which to fix a problem is to focus on fixing the problem.  Responding with individual status reports on every aspect of a problem is a GREAT way to make sure the ETC for any given problem doubles or triples in time...this also compounds much more than linearly as the more problems you attempt to provide ETC on the more time is lost attempting to switch gears between problems and thus more lag on the ETC. 

All this is said as a way to say: Expecting Bioware to respond acknowledging or denying any one specific bug is a ridiculous notion that I don't believe ANYONE ACTUALLY believes is possible, let alone feasible.

And to make matters worse, people like you read on this thread and many many many others make it obvious that attempting to communicate with the "rabble" will only waste time and get them nowhere.

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it. - George Bernard Shaw"

"Now they deserve a slap on the shoulder?"

No, but they also didn't deserve your or anyone else's BS beyond the OP's initial bug report either...so they might as well get Kudos for fixing bugs since the only thing they ever take is S**T for causing them.

"From here on i'm pirating mybioware games"

*Insert picture of ugly princess child stomping her foot on the floor in a huff*

Oh grow  up.

Message 161 of 168 (1,288 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@Illydth While I don't condone the huge overreaction that is purposely pirating BioWare games because of the way they've been handling bug reports, I don't think a lot of your counter-points hold water.

BioWare dropped the ball on this and many other critical quests bug that, yes, should have been hot-fixed within a week's time. I work in software development and work on game development in my free time and have since I was young. While I cannot speak to the intricacies of MEA's codebase, I can tell you this is generally a high-level issue (ie likely level-design related; engines like UE4, Unity, and Frostbite have high-level scripting built into the level editor like Blueprint and Playmaker) that certainly could have been confirmed and fixed by a single employee spending less than 8 hours on this, let alone 2 weeks. I don't know why you bring up compilation time as if it were a major factor. A major studio like BioWare definitely has continuous build farms too, further lessening an already a negligible cost.

The bottom line is a large percentage of your player base could not play a major quest line in your game for a pretty long time.

You also defend BioWare's lack of communication that they are working on a fix as if it required some great effort on their part. You say "Responding with individual status reports on every aspect of a problem is a GREAT way to make sure the ETC for any given problem doubles or triples in time" as if a single post acknowledging the issue somehow fits that description. That's all anyone wanted; a single post. You're going out on a limb; when customers send in tickets reporting bugs where I work (financial industry), we respond to the ticket prodding for more detail if necessary and finally letting them know their issue is being worked on. (Yes, we get a lot of tickets because we have a lot of products with a lot of functionality) I realize game development is very different in some areas, but these bug reports should be taken just as seriously. This forum even has a point system indicating how many users had a specific issue, sort by that and work in order of priority.

You can still see BioWare as a great company, but when you screw up you own up and improve. You don't double down and defend your failings.

Message 162 of 168 (1,239 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@Zorbatronics

Thanks for a reasonable, level headed response.  (Not sarcasm, actual thank you).

=============

"While I cannot speak to the intricacies of MEA's codebase, I can tell you this is generally a high-level issue (ie likely level-design related; engines like UE4, Unity, and Frostbite have high-level scripting built into the level editor like Blueprint and Playmaker) that certainly could have been confirmed and fixed by a single employee spending less than 8 hours on this, let alone 2 weeks."

=============

Valid analysis for most gaming engines, and as I do not know Frostbite at all (obviously, I don't work for Bioware) I will agree that there's definitely a possibility you're right.  There's also a possibility that a fix for this brings up larger issues.  I don't know for certain what the "Time to resolution" for this bug is.  You don't either.  Is the LIKELIHOOD that it could have taken hours or even minutes to fix?  Absolutely...feels like moving the trigger for the "reinforcements" from a spawned mob to the transponder itself would fix the issue, but as I don't know the code base or the engine I cannot be certain of that.

The problem with your argument and the ones before is the assumption that because you FEEL that it's an easy fix (I do too), that it MUST be an easy fix and thus Bioware just being lazy in NOT fixing it.

There's a WHOLE LOT of "*-u-me"ing going on here...and while assuming is something we all do on a regular basis, the amount of hate in this thread alone simply due to assumptions is ridiculous.  There are a huge number of reasons why it may take 2 weeks to fix a 10 minute bug...not the least of which is "It's just not that big a G** D**N deal based upon what else we have in the pipe line."

This is the general tone of my response...the people posting on THIS bug CARE about this bug, thus this must be the highest priority bug.  The problem is EVERYONE who's taken time to post on this forum, and Reddit, and every other forum in the known universe talking about Andromeda CARE about the issues they bring up.  There are only so many hands and so many keyboards.  No matter the cause, solution, effect on the rest of the game, resources, time constraints, availability of the resource who's capable/responsible for this section of the game, or any host of any of a hundred other reasons, players with NO insight into the dev team or project management team's capabilities or ANY KNOWLEDGE of how this game was developed or designed are weighing in on how quickly a given bug should be fixed.

That's RIDICULOUS.  Even if you're RIGHT about how fast it is to fix a specific bug, even if you hit the number EXACTLY ON THE NOSE for how long it would take to fix this, you cannot in any way know or understand the priorities surrounding this or any of the other thousands of bug reports on just this forum alone.  Your rebuttal will be "but this is a "main quest" bug, it should be the highest priority!"...I tell you as a QA guy for a game company, this is a "B" level bug AT BEST.  The fact that there was a workaround for it DEFINES the bug as lower priority than every other bug in any other main quest story that DOES NOT have a work around.

===========

"I don't know why you bring up compilation time as if it were a major factor. A major studio like BioWare definitely has continuous build farms too, further lessening an already a negligible cost."
===========
You're probably right, I suspect it's not a major factor at all...however I also suspect that he person I wrote that back to also had NO idea if that was the case or not...and that was mostly my point.  You cannot post definitive "this is exactly the world as it stands without any equivocation" posts when you know NOTHING about what you're posting about.  I DO work with a game company and I STILL cannot definitively tell you ANYTHING more than a "best guess" surrounding any efforts Bioware is making to fix anything in this game.  I do know one thing:  The developers I work with all care about their end product.  If there's something broken, it's broken not because people don't care.  And that's exactly the issue I have with most posts in this entire thread.  They all amount to the same conversation:  Just like a bad Boyfriend/Girlfriend "If Bioware actually cared about me they'd have fixed this issue weeks ago!"  It's * when you hear it from your SO and it's * when you say it about a game production company.

And I absolutely argue the "negligible cost" point.  Building a piece of software has no cost.  Getting that piece of software into the hands of the users of that software ALWAYS has a cost REGARDLESS of how easy it looks to do...and the larger that piece of software is, the MORE cost it is to getting into the customer's hands. 

===============

"The bottom line is a large percentage of your player base could not play a major quest line in your game for a pretty long time."
===============
I'm sorry sir, that's a GROSS overstatement.  There's 17 pages of posts on this thread...maybe 20 - 30 total users...288 people have marked this thread as "I have this also".

"a large percentage of your player base" is complete and utter *.  I can't seem to find any hard sales numbers (other than percentages which make no sense unless you have some basis to compare them to) but even if you assume only 100K copies sold (and we all know it's more than that) world wide that's 0.2% (Two Tenths of ONE percent) of the population...and I think we can both agree that that number is absurdly low.

Even if only 1 in 100 people who experienced the issue reported the issue the number is pretty minuscule.

==============

"That's all anyone wanted; a single post."

==============

That's all every problem on every board talking about Andromeda or any other topic wants...a single post...a single post confirming each and every bug, problem, issue and concept that anyone can come up with to talk about.  And if a thread is opened twice, we expect that single post to be made again...and again...and again.  And each and every thread the people in that thread will tell you they only wanted a single post by Bioware confirming the contents and they only wanted to know when it would be fixed, and because it's such an important bug why wasn't it fixed in the last patch and will it be fixed in the next one and if not why won't it be fixed in the next one...because if only Bioware cared..."

How many threads are on this board?  How many different places have users made comments about Andromeda problems?  If every person in the world STOPPED reporting issues about Andromeda RIGHT NOW it would still take an average sized team of Customer Representatives MONTHS to respond to all of them with just "We're looking at this" to EVERY POST on EVERY PROBLEM.  But, of course, that's not enough.  4 threads with the same "We're looking at this" and the community would be in an uproar about how they're just "robo-posting" this to every thread...now we only want PERSONALIZED COMMUNICATION for each and every bug report out there.

BUT WAIT, once we get personalized communication damn them for not telling us WHEN the bug would be fixed.  After all, they've told us they know the problem exists, it's only a 10 minute fix because it was that way in an engine I delt with 15 years ago so why the hell isn't it fixed now...I just want ONE POST from bioware explaining why this isn't in the last patch....

What makes you think this thread is so special it stands out as to get a response from Bioware where THOUSANDS of other posts do not?

There's already someone in the thread several pages in that stated they'd talked with a Bioware person and they'd already acknowledged that the bug existed and was known about.  That's not good enough?

And finally, I'll tell you why you'll never get your "single post"...because officially acknowledging a bug means officially identifying that bug on your radar...which means if it doesn't get fixed in the next patch you'll have another total shitstorm of pissed gamers crying about how people at Bioware know about the problem and don't care enough to fix it.  HOW COULD THEY NOT FIX MY PET BUG!??!?!??!?!?

It's no wonder game companies do not communicate with their end users...we the gamer community cannot take that communication like civil adult human beings.  As a community we are nothing but a bunch of pampered princelings stomping our feet and huffing at the indignity of how we're treated.  I have watched smaller / indy game companies try to communicate with their customers and be open and honest with them only to be beaten down when that honesty is turned on them.  "We'll release on the 30th of June"...and if the game doesn't come out on the 30th all hell breaks loose with large subsections of the community crying "OMG they've stolen our money and will never deliver the game!!!!!"  I wish I made this stuff up.  I'd tell you to go out to the net and look, but most game companies have shut down their forums and eliminated their official communities EXACTLY for this reason.

Customers don't expect communication, they expect exact details and CONTRACTS that are beyond the ability of any game company to provide or live up to.  As has been said many times:  Large populations of people in today's world develop pre-conceived ideas about everything, and their only interest is to have their belief VALIDATED.  The concept of being ACTUALLY right or ACTUALLY wrong has little regard in today's world, people just want to hear their beliefs are the right beliefs, and if they don't hear it, they'll find somewhere that validates their beliefs.  In that system, why bother to communicate?  It's not as if my communication is going to sway anyone from their held beliefs, that's the beauty of the internet...there's always several someones out there that will tell you you're right.

This game is a mess.  There's a significant amount wrong with it, there are HOURS of content showing bugs and problems and issues and defects.  There's no way to claim this game as great or polished in any way.  I am in no way suggesting that this game is great...or even on par with much else released recently.

But a significant number of posts in this thread are overstated hogwash written by people with obviously no clue and giving no thought to any matter at all other than "I don't like something and I want to sound loud, pretentious and snotty about it in a public forum so others can validate my obvious intelligence and righteous anger!"

Thank you for not being one of those, but I still strongly disagree with your sentiment that this bug should have been fixed before it was fixed.  At the end of the day you can guess all you want to about how fast this bug could have been fixed based upon your or my guess at the technical solution to a problem we know nothing about other than the in game symptom...and we may even be right in that guess, but there's still no way to know whether the bug was put on the backburner or fast tracked into the past patch.

This isn't a small game, these aren't small issues, and this isn't a small company.  Everything takes time, resources and money to do...and not a small amount of it.  Until you can quantify THAT you cannot even BEGIN to understand what it took to fix this bug or any other bug being reported on these forums...and anyone pretending they can is just plain wrong.

Message 163 of 168 (1,125 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@Illydth wrote:

This game is a mess.  There's a significant amount wrong with it, there are HOURS of content showing bugs and problems and issues and defects.  There's no way to claim this game as great or polished in any way.  I am in no way suggesting that this game is great...or even on par with much else released recently.

I don't know I think that's kind of a harsh statement, I think it's a great game. While yeah it's got bugs and numerous amounts of visual, graphical, and cinematic problems overall the game was fine. I mean it's not worse than Skyrim when it came out, hell how it still is buggy to all hell. I just feel like people have stupidly high expectations of game companies nowadays. I do agree they could've done a better job in a lot of ways but like you said who knows what was going on to allow these kinds of things to slip through. The first major patch and they addressed a number of major issues, and I'm sure they'll continue to do so. I personally have only experienced 2 bugs ( no counting the visual and graphical/cinematic ones, like actual quest bugs ) one obviously being the Asari ark one, and the other is the quest on Eos where you save the researches from the remnant. But both those quests aren't major quests and have easy workarounds.

Message 164 of 168 (1,117 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

This is definitely still a glitch for me too. I tried to go back and take down enemies without sniping but it didn't work.

Message 165 of 168 (692 Views)

★★★★ Novice

V1.10 always the same problem

Message 166 of 168 (626 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I don't know if anyone is still having a problem with this, but I just got through it.  I've been stuck here on this mission for about 4 months.  But after reading these posts I decided to give it one more try. I drove up and still got no response from the transponder.  But then I scanned it.  After I scanned it, I could then interact with it.  worked fine. I can finally move on!  Good thing too, I am trying to romance Cora...Hope this helps!

Message 167 of 168 (498 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Finally!

From all the other posts, I was able to figure out:

1) go back to a save before you find the wreckage.

2)  DO NOT SNIPE from afar.

3) save the three kett that get dropped from the first kett ship (to the east) for until AFTER the second kett ship arrives.  (I approached from the west).

4) kill the kett, make sure the second ship arrives (the first one drop three kettt to the east just as you see the site for the first time.

5) Scan the wreckage at the marker.

6) if you did't mess up, it will allow you to interact and there will be a cut scene.

If this fails, reset to the save just before and try again.

Message 168 of 168 (337 Views)

me-andromeda-fem

Keep your account safe

We'll make sure it's you by sending you a code for your trusted devices.

Learn more about Login Verification on EA Help

fifa-20-promo-splash

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help