by westonninja

Original Post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Controller stopped working on Xbox

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Howdy, 

I downloaded Battlefront 2 the other day through Xbox Game Pass (which took me through the EA launcher that's in Beta). When I first opened the game through the EA launcher, I had no problem jumping into a round of Capital Supremacy with my Xbox One controller. Today, I was able to use the controller to navigate the home menu of Battlefront, but when I joined a game, it didn't recognize the controller at all. I tried rebooting the game and reconnecting the controller, now I can't even use the controller to navigate the home menu. Not sure what the issue is, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

(HERO edit: made title more descriptive)

Message 1 of 8 (925 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Controller stopped working on Xbox

★★ Novice

I just tried a little experiment. It looks like if the controller is off when I open the game, then I turn it on as it's loading, it works fine. If the controller is on before I click to open the game on my desktop, however, the controller blinks a couple of times as the game's opening and doesn't work. Not really sure why that is, but now I know to just turn the controller on after clicking to open the game. I think we're good! Thanks!

View in thread

Message 7 of 8 (806 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager
Hey @westonninja,

Welcome!

Hmm, that indeed does sound odd.

Just a question; can you try another game via the EA app launcher, or any launcher for that matter (Steam for example) to see if your PC still recognises your controller, or if it's SWBF2 only that stopped working with your controller?
EA_LeeuwAHQ
Message 2 of 8 (872 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Before I installed SWBF2, I had Titanfall 2 through the same EA launcher. With the controller, I was able to launch it, navigate the start menu, and completely play through the campaign with no problem. When I went to launch Multiplayer or FD, it would load, show me the multiplayer or FD screen for a split second, then the whole game crashed. Up until I selected one of the two, however, it worked fine and I never had problems with the controller connecting. With the Xbox game bar app installed on my computer, I can press the home button on my controller at any time and it brings up the Xbox game bar overlay, which I can interact with using my controller. Also, the Xbox app responds to the controller, and I can launch SWBF2 from there, but as soon as the game opens and starts loading, the controller has no effect.

I can launch No Man's Sky and Halo Infinite both from the Xbox app and they both work flawlessly with the controller. I also previously had Halo MCC installed through Steam, which worked as well (though I had to uninstall it for space) and the controller works with Steam in Big Picture Mode.

Message 3 of 8 (853 Views)

Community Manager
@westonninja, so if I understand correctly, it's SWBF2 only where the controller just doesn't want to work? No matter how you launch it?
EA_LeeuwAHQ
Message 4 of 8 (838 Views)

★★ Novice

Yeah, that seems to be the case. It worked the first time I played, then it only worked in the home menu of the game, and now it doesn't work at all. I've only had this problem with SWBF2.

Message 5 of 8 (829 Views)

Community Manager
@westonninja, gotcha. Apart from the Xbox Game Bar overlay, is there another overlay that you're using? Like Nvidia, Discord, Logitech etc.? If so, please disable those, make sure that all non-essential (so everything except K&M and the controller) is disconnected from your PC and check if you're still having the issue please.
EA_LeeuwAHQ
Message 6 of 8 (825 Views)

★★ Novice

I just tried a little experiment. It looks like if the controller is off when I open the game, then I turn it on as it's loading, it works fine. If the controller is on before I click to open the game on my desktop, however, the controller blinks a couple of times as the game's opening and doesn't work. Not really sure why that is, but now I know to just turn the controller on after clicking to open the game. I think we're good! Thanks!

Message 7 of 8 (807 Views)

Community Manager
@westonninja, oh, wow. Alright, well that's very peculiar haha. But I am glad to hear that it's working again! Standard smile

Happy gaming!
EA_LeeuwAHQ
Message 8 of 8 (797 Views)