Controller disconnects mid game and when trying to reconnect cant do anything

by dj_zehti

Original Post

Re: Controller disconnects mid game and when trying to reconnect cant do anythin

★★★ Novice

I have experienced this problem once 2 weeks ago and again tonight. I have a Series X with an Elite 2 controller. Mid EASHL game the controller disconnects and reconnects. When it reconnects I cannot control my player, I can't pause the game. During penalty shots I can control the camera angle. Got back to home during the game and going to the accessories app shows that it isn't the controller as I am able to use all the buttons, however, going back into the game doesn't fix the issue. Turning off the controller and turning it back on doesn't fix the issue. Switching to the controller that comes with the console doesn't fix the issue. I agree with a previous poster that says this looks a lot like when you are in a Play Now game and you lose communication with your controller. When this happens the game pauses and when it reconnects you are given an option to select which team you want to control. Unfortunately because you can't do this in EASHL it's impossible to recover.

Message 41 of 80 (3,001 Views)

Re: Controller disconnects mid game and when trying to reconnect cant do anythin

Community Manager

@rednyte 

Is your controller's firmware up to date? You can find out by going to your Xbox Settings > Devices & connections > Accessories. When I was experiencing this issue, the controller would freeze, but then would restart on it's own several seconds later and work again. However, as I mentioned, this stopped happening within the last year. I did send in my controllers for repair though so it's possible that took care of it. Unfortunately, I've never found a resolution for this otherwise.

Aljo.png
Message 42 of 80 (2,981 Views)

★★★ Novice

Yes. My controller firmware is up to date. I never started experiencing this previously until two weeks ago. I’ve played the franchise pretty heavily for years. This is the first year I haven’t played as much so when I do play it’s rather annoying to let my teammate down by not being able to complete a game. 

Message 43 of 80 (2,973 Views)

★★★ Novice

If this were a controller issue I’d gladly send in my controller for repair but Microsoft will likely do their tests and say nothing is wrong with it, especially if the controller can be used outside of the game when the game won’t respond. 

Message 44 of 80 (2,972 Views)

Community Manager

@rednyte 

Personally, I've sent Elite 2 controllers in several times over the last few years and they've always either repaired or replaced it. It's frustrating to have to send them in, but the turnaround is quick and I always get a working controller back. That said, the only other thing I can think of is that there's interference from another nearby device that could be causing this. If I have any other ideas, I'll let you know.

Aljo.png
Message 45 of 80 (2,958 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@EA_Aljo Again, the developers should not be focusing on why a controller disconnects. Controllers disconnecting will ALWAYS be a thing. It doesn't matter if it's a firmware bug or if the user just walked out of range. They should be coding to detect the disconnection and give the user a way to regain control of their player, especially in EASHL.
Message 46 of 80 (2,949 Views)

Community Manager

@wadesworld 

When this happened to me, I was always able to regain control. I'm not saying we have the same issue, but there are times you can regain control. If I have any additional details on this, I'll pass them on here.

Aljo.png
Message 47 of 80 (2,942 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@EA_Aljo You're saying you disconnected in a EASHL game and regained control?

If so, please share the procedure for doing so. Nobody I know, including myself who has disconnected in EASHL has ever been able to regain control.
Message 48 of 80 (2,936 Views)

★★★ Novice

Next time I play EASHL I’m going to disconnect my controller during a game that’s out of hand. See if the situation can be reproduced through an active power off and on of the controller. 

Message 49 of 80 (2,929 Views)

Community Manager

@wadesworld 

I mentioned this before. What would happen is my controller would completely lock up. It wouldn't respond at all. After several seconds, the Guide button would flash and the controller would reconnect and work again.

Aljo.png
Message 50 of 80 (2,920 Views)