Re: Continuous microstutter and rubberbanding

by TakeOver79

Original Post

Continuous microstutter and rubberbanding

★★★ Novice

I first posted a repy to this thread but figured it won't be viewed at probably since it's marked as solved (without having an actual solution). I'll also add some more specific info and add dxdiag.
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/BFV-Microstutter/m-p/7352733#M8327

I suffer from continuous microstutter since the feb 13 update, making the game borderline unplayable. Before I had some microstutters aswell but only periodically.

I have a gsync compatible monitor. I tried playing with fps lock on 141  @144hz and 117 fps loc on 120hz, on settings where this can be maintained. Still microstutter. In other games this results in ultrasmooth game experience.

I tried every combination of DX11/DX12, FFR on/of, vsync on/off, gsync on/off, low/ultra settings, RenderDevice.RenderAheadLimit (-1, 0, 1, 2) and it makes no difference at all. Microstutters are always there, CPU frametime spikes can be seen in the perfoverlay although the cpu usage is around 70-80%. Tried resetting/deleting the settings/PROFSAVE files and reconfigure everything, no luck. My user.cfg only has PerfOverlay.DrawFps 1.

The problem does not occur at all in practice range. Also when turning with a tank turret, everything is smooth.

I also experience a lot of corner death and damage indicators coming from the opposite direction. But that has been since BF1. Since the feb 13 patch I also see myself rubberbanding (not others). I play with a fiber connection < 10 ping.

This is the only game I have these problems with, all my other games run perfectly.

Message 1 of 11 (915 Views)

Community Manager

Can you update the latest driver for your video card and check for Windows updates to see if you're still experiencing this?

Update Drivers

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/pc-graphics-troubleshooting/#updatedrivers

When the game is running, alt-tab out and CTRL+ALT+DELETE to pull up task manager. What's your CPU and GPU % at?

Blueberry.png
Message 2 of 11 (872 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thanks for you response. I should have added that I tried 418.91, but it made almost every game including BFV unplayable (very low fps) and Apex crash to desktop.

When I monitor with afterburner, CPU is around 70-80% and GPU 99%. Framerate is around 120fps, uncapped. Temperatures are good, around 60-65C both. When I go lower settings/resolution, CPU usage goes up and GPU usage goes down (obviously).

I'm sure it's some Frostbite/multiplayer problem since, like I stated before, turning a tank turret is perfectly smooth and also the problem is not in the practice range.

Message 3 of 11 (837 Views)

Community Manager

@TakeOver79 

Check out this guide right here if you haven't yet. There's some options in there that might get this fixed for you.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Battlefield-V-Tips-Part-II-Settings/m-p/7353362#M8468

Blueberry.png
Message 4 of 11 (827 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@TakeOver79  This could be a setting in NVIDIA control panel and in game so please give this a try and if already done then please recheck all settings... If its not a setting then it could well be a program on the PC and I would try a clean boot for testing. Edit...I do know afterburner made issues in BF4 for some so it could as well in BFV :/

First step open NVIDIA Control panel under 3D settings go to Adjust image settings with preview

Pick use my preference and set it to performance and hit apply.

Next in game ...

For Origin turn off cloud storage and turn off origin in game.

Next step in game video settings advanced .....

Make sure frame rate limiter is set to 200

future frame rendering- off --you can put this on for a few fps but you will get input lag and makes it more harsh to get a kill.

vertical sync- off

GPU memory restriction- off

Below set everything to custom/ med or low just for testing

Under video Basic ....

motion blur set to 0

To see fps in game with no typing or program do this....

To see FPS in game with out fraps etc:
1- open note pad
2-put this in the note pad.....

perfoverlay.drawfps 1

Perfoverlay.fpsdisplayscale 4 <<< this can change to 3 or 2 or 1 depending how big or small you want it. 4 is large.
3-when you make the user.cfg in notepad,change the file type from text to all. And name it user.cfg
4-Put in .....:\Program Files\Origin Games\Battlefield 5
5-Also close Origin to put cfg in just to be safe :}
6-You will see your FPS in top right of screen when you start BFV

NOTE... this works for BF1 as well

Message 5 of 11 (819 Views)

@TakeOver79 wrote:

Thanks for you response. I should have added that I tried 418.91, but it made almost every game including BFV unplayable (very low fps) and Apex crash to desktop.

When I monitor with afterburner, CPU is around 70-80% and GPU 99%. Framerate is around 120fps, uncapped. Temperatures are good, around 60-65C both. When I go lower settings/resolution, CPU usage goes up and GPU usage goes down (obviously).

I'm sure it's some Frostbite/multiplayer problem since, like I stated before, turning a tank turret is perfectly smooth and also the problem is not in the practice range.

Are you using Afterburner normally when the issue is happening? If yes please disable it as MSI Afterburner has caused performance issues with Battlefield titles since at least BF3.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Please mark a thread as solved if a post solves your issue.

EA Answers HQ Volunteer Forum Moderator

BF3, BF4, BF1, BFV DICE Friend tag awardee

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Twitter: Ragnarok013
Message 6 of 11 (810 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I tried all the mentioned settings and all combinations indeed, as well as a lot more using a very wide range of settings in user.cfg. It does affect the screen quality but not the stutter.

Normally I don't use afterburner, just to monitor sometimes. It makes no difference if I have afterburner on or off.

I also tried running the known tools ParkControl and ISLC, none of which make a difference.

Using perfoverlay.drawgraph 1 I can see small spikes in the cpu graph.

I reduced the amount of stutter greatly by using a borderless window. It's more playable than fullscreen although the fps have dropped a little. But it's by far not as smooth as all the other games.

Message 7 of 11 (797 Views)

@TakeOver79 wrote:

I tried all the mentioned settings and all combinations indeed, as well as a lot more using a very wide range of settings in user.cfg. It does affect the screen quality but not the stutter.

Normally I don't use afterburner, just to monitor sometimes. It makes no difference if I have afterburner on or off.

I also tried running the known tools ParkControl and ISLC, none of which make a difference.

Using perfoverlay.drawgraph 1 I can see small spikes in the cpu graph.

I reduced the amount of stutter greatly by using a borderless window. It's more playable than fullscreen although the fps have dropped a little. But it's by far not as smooth as all the other games.

@TakeOver79  I see that you're using NVIDIA, after the last driver update it maxed out my settings and I had stutters like you did. I went into NVIDIA control panel and adjusted the settings putting them either on balanced or performance (similar to what @2042isNotBF stated), however additionally I selected my GPU to run PhysX calculations instead of letting it choose between GPU and CPU. After that  the stuttering was almost completely gone. If you haven't done that I recommend trying it.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Please mark a thread as solved if a post solves your issue.

EA Answers HQ Volunteer Forum Moderator

BF3, BF4, BF1, BFV DICE Friend tag awardee

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Twitter: Ragnarok013
Message 8 of 11 (774 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I set my nvidia 3D settings to performance now, and as it increases my fps quite a bit, but it also made the stutters even worse. Also physx is set to the 2070, been like that forever.

I can directly correlate the stutters to my cpu graph, meaning that the higher the spikes, the more microstutters I have. See the attached screenshot. This is when idling for a bit. When I mover around or something happens on the screen, it gets worse. Is it supposed to look like this?

Message 9 of 11 (771 Views)

★★ Novice

Are you sure it isn't rubberbanding? Since the February 13th update I've been rubberbanding regularly even though my ping is around 50. It usually happens in spurts when you're running and it sends you back a small distance for a few seconds each time. It feels like you're trudging through mud. A ton of players are having this issue and there's no fix for it. It's completely up to EA DICE to fix this. The problem is that it doesn't even seem to be on their radar. It's not in the known bugs and issues post. This is ridiculous. It makes the game unplayable, and I am incredibly frustrated. This happens in no other games, and it ISN'T a hardware NOR an internet issue. 

Message 10 of 11 (702 Views)