Constant crash: Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost.

by Popandrock44

Original Post

Re: Constant crash: Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost.

★★ Novice

Have you had any issues since you have changed this?  I am running a 4790k and 2080ti and have switched a few settings around like you have but still get intermittent crashing with the D3D error.  Thanks!

Message 11 of 49 (8,896 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I get this exact same crash/error report. I'll play for hours and nothing seems to be stuttering or having issues. The game will run fine for a while, but suddenly it crashes. No sudden GPU spikes. My GPU barely gets a workout through this game. Although CPU optimization in this title is garbage and that constantly varies from 20-90% depending on what's happening in the game so there's no telling if the issue is there, but this is the only game on my system that does that. Gears 5 uses the same engine and keeps my CPU at about 30%, which tells me that Respawn didn't make this GPU bound. Additionally, I've monitored my temps and everything stays in the green. Both my GPU and CPU are water cooled and nothing effects their temperatures, so it's not an overheating issue. I've updated my Drivers and even did a clean install of those to try to fix the issue with no luck. EA and Respawn need to fix this and I wouldn't be surprised if this is a DRM glitch causing the problem.

Troubleshooting: Removed drivers, installed clean drivers, uninstalled new drivers, installed clean old version of drivers, "repaired" game (verified game files), uninstalled/reinstalled game, ran Windows update, and even ran game on low/medium/high/epic settings at 1920 x 1080, 2560 x 1440, and 3840 x 2160. Finally decided to test another game. Played Gears 5 for 10 hours (total) in campaign and online with highest settings at 3840 x 2160. CPU was at 30% (peak usage) and my GPU hit 95% (peak usage). Same engine, no crashes. 

System Specs

CPU: i7-7700k

Memory: 32 GB

GPUs: Nvidia Titan Xp and 750 Ti GTX (PhysX)

Launcher: Origin

Message 12 of 49 (8,749 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I get this exact same crash/error report. I'll play for hours and nothing seems to be stuttering or having issues. The game will run fine for a while, but suddenly it crashes. No sudden GPU spikes. My GPU barely gets a workout through this game. Although CPU optimization in this title is garbage and that constantly varies from 20-90% depending on what's happening in the game so there's no telling if the issue is there, but this is the only game on my system that does that. Additionally, I've monitored my temps and everything stays in the green. Both my GPU and CPU are water cooled and nothing effects their temperatures, so it's not an overheating issue. I've updated my Drivers and even did a clean install of those to try to fix the issue with no luck. EA and Respawn need to fix this and I wouldn't be surprised if this is a DRM glitch causing the problem.

Troubleshooting: Removed drivers, installed clean drivers, uninstalled new drivers, installed clean old version of drivers, "repaired" game (verified game files), uninstalled/reinstalled game, ran Windows update, and even ran game on low/medium/high/epic settings at 1920 x 1080, 2560 x 1440, and 3840 x 2160. Finally decided to test another game. Played Gears 5 for 10 hours (total) in campaign and online with highest settings at 3840 x 2160. CPU was at 30% (peak usage) and my GPU hit 95% (peak usage). Same engine, no crashes. 

System Specs

CPU: i7-7700k

Memory: 32 GB

GPUs: Nvidia Titan Xp and 750 Ti GTX (PhysX)

Launcher: Origin

Message 13 of 49 (8,771 Views)

★★ Novice

I was tinkering with some settings the other day and turned on debug mode in my Nvidia settings (turns off the factory overclock) and things have been running fine ever since with no crashes. The crashing only started happening after the driver update that came through just before Thanksgiving. So something with the game does not seem to be playing nice with the factory overclock on the gpu. Hopefully that helps you as well! 

Message 14 of 49 (8,758 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hi there,

I have done so many things to get rid of this problem. Updating software removing parts fooling around with settings and so on.

The one that mostly solved the problem for me was to remove the vertical GPU mount, placing it directly in the PCIE slot, AND underclock my GPU about 100 Mhz and setting the max settight to high instead of epic.

With non of that i could almost play at 30FPS locked... no way. But that helped me out.

Hope I could help you with one of my solutions.

BTW my speccs:

Asus Strix 1080ti 11G OC

Asus Crosshair VI

Ryzen 7 2700x

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200 Mhz

Message 15 of 49 (8,606 Views)

★ Apprentice

I recently got this problem with A Way Out but turns out every game that was made on Unreal was unable to start, I tried many of internet advices but I managed to pass through this problem by doing rollback of my graphic card drivers. 

Message 16 of 49 (8,574 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi, I got this game as a Christmas Present and I have been unable to even get past the Initial Game Startup Loading Screen.

I get a crash report which I have been keeping track of for a few times and I hope someone knows what to do. I also attached a 

notepad document with the error codes. I bought the game off of Steam and I tried reinstalling it from Origin since the Steam install

didn't seem to be working and that didn't fix my problem.

P.S. I haven't been able to play the game at all.

Message 17 of 49 (8,397 Views)

★★ Novice

Try turning on debug mode on your graphics card (turns the card down to stock clocking rather than any overclocks whether you did it or came from factory). That's what fixed it for me and allowed the game to run. Hopefully that helps! 

Message 18 of 49 (8,387 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Could try to change the default to borderless window at your monitors resolution in either nvidias or ATIs config program.  I had to do it in nVidia Experience to get mine to let me in when this error happened.  Has been working ever sense after that change.  

so basically, need to figure out how to set the resolution and force windowed mode (instead of full screen) without doing it inside of the game.  Ridiculous, I know, but what helped my issue.

good luck! 

Message 19 of 49 (8,381 Views)

★★★ Newbie

*EASY FIX THAT WORKS*

Change ingame fps from 144 to 120, problem solved!

Message 20 of 49 (8,136 Views)